Imalent        
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Small EDC flashlights vs medium size flashlights??

Enlightened

Default Small EDC flashlights vs medium size flashlights??

Which is better in your mind for all around EDC, Flashlights sizes like zebra and emisar vs Fenix Pd35s and nitecore p series, and thrunite
    TN series size lights?

Last edited by Methos777; 06-24-2018 at 10:21 PM.

Default Re: Small EDC flashlights vs medium size flashlights??

The biggest lights that I've carried regularly are Zebralight SC60 and HDS Rotary. I don't think I could go any bigger than that for in-pocket carry.
    Hello darkness my old friend,
    I've come to talk with you again...
    I liked neutral tints before they were cool.

Flashaholic*

Default Small EDC flashlights vs medium size flashlights??

I'd say that my fav form factor is e1e with 2-way clip.

I used to edc an emisar/18650 but found it too big for pocket carry. The 18350 is better but still too thick and failed to find a decent clip that would not tear my pocket.

In fact, for edc a good clip may help decide in favor of a bigger light

Quote Originally Posted by ma tumba View Post
    I'd say that my fav form factor is e1e with 2-way clip.
    The E1e form factor is ideal for this purpose. All lights that I carry in this way are very similar in form.

All depends on your needs/wants. More runtime or output (or both) is still held hostage to physics.

A few minutes here, a few seconds there within a few metres the physics are not as important as say long runtimes at distances.

Also 'storage' matters. A lady with a giant purse may prefer a bit larger for ease of finding it. A police detective would likely prefer smaller since it would ride in the pockets of well fitting trousers.
    John 3:16

A lot depends on what your happy carrying, imho zebralight have got it very well. 18650(so lots of juice available), compact and similar in size to some 16340/CR123 lights. I would say, go with the largest your comfortable carrying . So many variables, might find single mode is a must, that can rule out a lot of lights. Or you may need (or want) 1000lm, again ruling out many. Now if you need 1000lm for a few minutes rather than seconds, again many ruled out. Personally the pd35 is a little too big for me to carry , other than in a coat pocket.

Generally i prefer 16340 type lights, but now i can mix this up with some zebralight 18650 ones, thanks to being as compact! Zebras 18650, rest 16340 fed
    Last edited by ven; 06-23-2018 at 02:04 PM.

Smaller is better. I have very little extra pocket room in my EDC unless Iím carrying a pack for one of a few reasons. Normally itís just me and my 1xAAA Fenix keychain light though I add an aging solar force z1 if Iím working EMS that day.

The bigger better lights are dedicated lights for fun, camping, hiking or bedstand use.

Iíve carried both as EDC. But the 18650 lights ( Both a Nitecore P12 & a Thrunite TN) I have always carried in a belt holster. I started carrying both at my previous job when I was on the emergency response team. I needed the bigger light to throw up to second plus story ceilings to look for water leaks in a jumble of pipes. To me they both have uses. When I need more power, I reach to the belt holster. For quick look at something, the 1xAA (Usually an Eagletac). I need a new small light (Lost my Eagletac D25A) and Iím thinking of trying a D25C and that maybe all I need. Iím currently not carrying the 18650 light, but only because my belt holsters have worn out and failed. The ones included with the light wonít last much longer than a year.
    NiteCore EA4 XL-L2, EagleTac D25A, D25A2, D25A Clicky, 2x P100A2's, P20C2, Jetbeam BA20, Olight M20 Warrior.

Flashaholic*

I really donít think thereís a ďbetterĒ, more like right tool for the job.

Personally Iím having a small EDC (keychain), and a larger or EDC (backpack). That letís me always have a light with me, and the options are greater if Iím carrying my backpack.

For me, this is Zebralight 18650-sized flashlight and headlight in backpack, and Lumintop Tool AAA on keychain. Especially the backpack-stuff Iím extremely pleased with. Itís reliable, itís there when I need it and it works when I need it, and itís both small and light enough that I donít mind backpack-EDCing them. The wide choice in output is also perfect for EDC IMHO. I donít know what Iíll need it for, but the lights adapt well to most needs. For me, thatís made these perfect to the point that Iím not currently considering alternatives.

My EDC light is my iPhone.

And every time I leave the house, an Acebeam X65 and Fenix HL55 are riding shotgun in my truck bag.

So for me, itís small, medium and large.

Flashaholic*

Actually, my true edc light is my i-beam wristwatch with an integrated 3mm yellow led. Even when i dont have my pants on, the light is always available from my wrist

In that regard MaTumba, I used to carry a Streamlight Nano on a leather cord around my neck. It went everywhere I went. Swimming, shower, you name it. One day I just stopped wearing it. But it was pretty convenient if the worst ever happened.

With availability of brighter and smaller I edc pants pocket carry a 1x123 and 1xAAA. But for times more impact is required I keep multi cell lights nearby.

Yes, I often use my small EDC light to find my medium EDC light, lol
    ... is the archimedes peak

I'm a tradesman and surrounded by headlamps and drop lights. My favorite work light is a Phillips, rough service , led lamp on mains power. For pocket carry I choose medium CR123 powered lights for carry and dependability. The Tekna Splash Lite below has over a 3 decade performance record. Pocket lights are not my preferred means of lighting for work, but I have fixed endless items under the glow of the Tekna. The Jetbeam TCR1 has been carried since 2012 . It only has another decade or so and will be considered reliable. 23 mm red filters fit it very well and it's being utlilized in my burgeoning astronomy fascination. Sub lumen red light is sublime.

I have all sizes. Depends on how you are dressed, where you are going, and what you are doing. At work, I carry one small during summer months, and add a larger light in coat pocket during winter. Just going around town during off hours I have Malkoff MDC (1CR123), or sometimes just put Maglite Solitaire in pocket. Sometimes bring a bigger light in bag if going very far from home.

Good story Archibald. 3 decades. That's awesome.

Not long ago there was a thread about the fabled Splashlite.
    They were some of the original 'backup' cop lights when police still carried big ole Maglites and Streamlights.

And in case you did not know the tek-tite sight has parts and the owner is a CPFr from the early days.
    https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...mers-go/page16
    See post #787
    Last edited by bykfixer; 06-24-2018 at 01:28 PM.

The smallest lights that can take 18650 seem to me to strike a good balance between power, capacity, and compactness.
    ZL 600 variants with pocket clip are about perfect for me, also about the biggest light I'd carry 24-7.
    I like AA powered lights as well, but for the greater capacity and power I much prefer minimalist 18650 lights.
    Something flatter that used prismatic or Lipo cells and had the capacity of 18650 could be really good too. If the body had a low enough volume and mass compared to the battery, I could even see overlooking a non removable battery and keeping a spare light instead of a spare battery.

Another perspective is to keep a more capable light in a bag and carry something smaller that cam get you to the bag. I don't usually carry bags though,
    and an 18650 powered light with good mode levels can give you months of basic utility lighting, days or weeks of navigation lighting, a work shift of practical work light, or a hour or so of something like an cars headlight.
    Last edited by eh4; 06-24-2018 at 02:01 PM.
    The brighter the light, the darker the shadow.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by archimedes View Post
    Yes, I often use my small EDC light to find my medium EDC light, lol
    This!

I absolutely love my SC600-series lights, one of them live in my backpack at all times. My backpack isnít always on me though. Keychain light is how Iíd get to the backpack in a power outage for example.

Quote Originally Posted by bykfixer View Post
    Good story Archibald. 3 decades. That's awesome.

Not long ago there was a thread about the fabled Splashlite.
    They were some of the original 'backup' cop lights when police still carried big ole Maglites and Streamlights.

And in case you did not know the tek-tite sight has parts and the owner is a CPFr from the early days.
    https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...mers-go/page16
    See post #787

Sincere thanks for the links! There is a rapidly shrinking crowd of Splash Lite users around the globe. It consists of mostly retired law enforcement, NASA employees, divers and tradesmen. It originally cost me about 7 hours of pay, per month to operate. I would estimate lamp life by bulb resistance measurements and battery voltage.

I like the micro-lite that runs on a pair of N cells. They have a propriety 3 volt alkaline cell for it but they're $5 each +s&h. I found PK brand alkaline N cells for about 50Ę each. (Not the great designer PK but a company called PK Cells.)
    Swap an LED from tek-tite in it and run time is much improved.

It's called L222 and is an LED in the 222 base.
    Last edited by bykfixer; 07-07-2018 at 08:29 AM.

I go for medium sized lights. You get a better grip on them, plus I like having the ability to use mine in a self-defense capacity if needed. Always clip-carried in my left front pocket of my pants. Not too big at all.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

I'm a lipstick EDC kid of guy preferring the 16340s.

EagleTac D25C Ti. clicky, Sunwayman V11R, Olight S-Mini, Ven's Convoy S2+ Triple he sent me (a bit fatter and heavier then the previous, but small enough.

I don't use my lights for hours on end, so 20 minutes on high, is usually more than enough.

Depends on what you need to light up and for how long.

My EagleTac is what I carry most everyday, for the past few years, but I do rotate.

This week it was the Emisar D4 w/18650 tube and it wasn't a problem.

I carry a SAK SwissChamp, a flip phone, a pack of gum, keys, wallet and a Seecamp .32, so I generally go out pretty well loaded.

Chris
    Convoy: S2, S2+, M1, M2, Fenix: P1D, PD32, HL30, ET: D25C Ti, SF: 6P, ZL: SC-600, Klarus: P2A, Jetbeam: BA-20, Icon: Rogue 1, L3: L10, Xeno: E03, ShiningBeam: I-Mini, Olight: i3s, SWM: D40A, M11R, V11R, Maglite: 6Ds, MMs, Solitaires, LaCrosse BC-700, Maha C-9000, XTAR VP2, MP1S, XP1, MC1+, WP2 II, NiteCore i4, v2.

Enlightened

Wow...Thanks for all the responses! What I'm getting from this is that a good number of you carry something even smaller than the Emisar d4 and Zebra's SC600 series of lights. While others, say it all about the need at the time. Great advice from all sources. So I would say that Lumens (1000 or more), high CD's and a good throw are very important to me. I just got the Zebra Sc600w Mark IV! I really think this is one of the best I've seen at this size. But at the same time, I really love my Thrunite TN12 too. I also have the Emisar D4 on it's way to me and can't wait to do a comparison on it vs the Zebra. Smaller lights( finger size lights) ...just don't cut it for me, no offense. The Zebra and Emisar are the smallest that I would want to go.
    Last edited by Methos777; 06-24-2018 at 09:43 PM.

Average Joe here... My criteria for EDC is something that easily fits and carries unnoticed in the watch pocket of blue jeans. Otherwise, a larger light will be somewhere I'm not when I need it. Titan Plus has been my EDC for two years. Use is all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Methos777 View Post
    Wow...Thanks for all the responses! What I'm getting from this is that a good number of you carry something even smaller than the Emisar d4 and Zebra's SC600 series of lights. While others, say it all about the need at the time. Great advice from all sources. So I would say that Lumens (1000 or more), high CD's and a good throw are very important to me. I just got the Zebra Sc600w Mark IV! I really think this is one of the best I've seen at this size. But at the same time, I really love my Thrunite TN12 too. I also have the Emisar D4 on it's way to me and can't wait to do a comparison on it vs the Zebra. Smaller lights( finger size lights) ...just don't cut it for me, no offense. The Zebra and Emisar are the smallest that I would want to go.
    It all comes down to what a person needs in a light.

Why carry my ZebraLight SC600, which is bigger, when a smaller light will do the same job?

If you're farmer John and you have to go look for Mr. Ed, out in the pasture, then smaller lights might not cut it. Same deal if you're a cop on the beat, at night, who uses a light for many. many minutes.

I have blasters here but never seem to need the bigger batteries, or throw.

Make sure you get some Sony VTC5a cells for your D4. They're the best at handling the currents that the light runs on.

Chris
    Convoy: S2, S2+, M1, M2, Fenix: P1D, PD32, HL30, ET: D25C Ti, SF: 6P, ZL: SC-600, Klarus: P2A, Jetbeam: BA-20, Icon: Rogue 1, L3: L10, Xeno: E03, ShiningBeam: I-Mini, Olight: i3s, SWM: D40A, M11R, V11R, Maglite: 6Ds, MMs, Solitaires, LaCrosse BC-700, Maha C-9000, XTAR VP2, MP1S, XP1, MC1+, WP2 II, NiteCore i4, v2.

Enlightened

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisGarrett View Post
    It all comes down to what a person needs in a light.

Why carry my ZebraLight SC600, which is bigger, when a smaller light will do the same job?

If you're farmer John and you have to go look for Mr. Ed, out in the pasture, then smaller lights might not cut it. Same deal if you're a cop on the beat, at night, who uses a light for many. many minutes.

I have blasters here but never seem to need the bigger batteries, or throw.

Make sure you get some Sony VTC5a cells for your D4. They're the best at handling the currents that the light runs on.

Chris

Thanks Chris. So I already bought Panasonic flat top 3500 batteries. Did I go wrong?

Thanks Chris. So I already bought Panasonic flat top 3500 batteries. Did I go wrong?
    Yes, if they're the Sanyo-Panasonic NCR-GAs, which are good up to 10A continuous.

The D4 can pull between 15A-20A on turbo, so something like the Sony VTC5a, which can handle 30A continuous, is the way to go.

Even the Samsung 30Q, which is good for 15A, will be running at its redline.

Now, if you're never using turbo, then sure, those cells will work, but where's the fun in that?

Chris

Enlightened

Yes, if they're the Sanyo-Panasonic NCR-GAs, which are good up to 10A continuous.

The D4 can pull between 15A-20A on turbo, so something like the Sony VTC5a, which can handle 30A continuous, is the way to go.

Now, if you're never using turbo, then sure, those cells will work, but where's the fun in that?

Chris
    Wow... Thanks... I bet that is the reason why I am not getting the 1400lm of brightness right now. My nitecore MH20 at 1000lm looks 2x brighter than my Zebra Sc600w

I have a stainless steel Ultratac K18 NW on my keychain. I rarely *need* anything else for EDC.

It gets crazy bright with a 3.7V 10440 aaa size cell, advertised at 360lm but I think more. It's obviously not good for longer use, but it gets the job done for most EDC cases. UI is a little weird, you have to double click to lock/unlock or it comes on in the pocket and burns your leg. But the ease of one-handed use of a forward clicky keychain light has kinda turned me off twisty 1xaaa's.

Up from that, a Manker E11 NW with a 14500 is advertised as 800 lumens, love this light, tiny and easily pocketable, crazy bright with the LiIon cell and pretty great even with NiMH.

A bit larger but with significant higher runtime of course is my Zebra SC64w, advertised as 1400 lumens of 80+ CRI 4500K neutral white. I don't normally carry it around in my pocket, except inside the house at night, but I easily could, the thing is tiny.

Any larger than the SC64w I wouldn't regularly pocket carry, would go in a backpack, glove compartment, etc. For a while the nitecore MH20 was my main 1x18650 light, it's still great, but couldn't go in pants pocket like the SC64 can. And I have a few Convoys with nice tints, but they are just too large for EDC.
    Last edited by joelbnyc; 06-26-2018 at 10:39 PM.

Enlightened

Chris
    OK I just got the Sony vtc5 batteries. I don't see any difference in the beam output on lumens. Was there a difference and reason why people go for Sony vtc5 over Panasonic?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast