Where to find LiFePO4 batteries of good quality?

mcmayer

Newly Enlightened
Having been burned so many times with low-quality rechargeable batteries from China, I am now extra careful about where I source batteries. E.g. for home use or DIY projects it doesn't really pay off to rely on inferior products. And LiFePO4s have some nice properties: Attractive voltage range, fast charge and discharge, wide temperature range, low risk of catching fire, tolerance of deep cycles, higher life-span. They can be really useful.

Of course I can always fall back on the "normal" battery types (Lithium Cobalt Oxide, Lithium Manganese Oxide, etc.). They have established producers that are well known and easy to find. But I really want to explore the LiFePO4s. To show how dire the situation is, check out distributors like Digikey or Mouser - they stock every item known to man (sort of), but don't list a single LiFePO4 battery! I find this odd.

To be more precise: It is actually the 'small' LiFePO4s that are hard to find - for 'large' LiFePo4s it's actually quite easy, they are used in solar energy storage, backup power, car starters, UPSs, etc. But for AA (14500) or 18650 or similar sizes it's really difficult. The usual brand-names like Panasonic, LG Chem, Samsung, Ansmann, etc., don't show up at all.

So, unfortunately, it seems that LiFePO4s are not really an option, at least not for low-power applications. Hence the question:

What are good, trustworthy sources for LiFePO4 batteries?

Boris74

Newly Enlightened
I've tried more than a few brands. Best I have used and still use are Tenergy. They hold a charge in storage extremely well and have noticeably longer run times.

In the two Protac 1L-1AA lights I use regularly, I have Tenergy Lifepo4 AA cells in them. Run longer than I need and hold charges long when not in use while in them lights.

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have yet to get into LiFePO4 batteries, but for several years I've used batteryspace.com as a resource to read the stats and prices, and see what's available with and without certification, as well as the charge controllers, and balancing systems they supply.

Anyone have experience with that vender?