Acebeam        
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: HDS EDC Rotary Pass Around

Default Re: HDS EDC Rotary Pass Around

Quote Originally Posted by WarriorOfLight View Post
    In case you are willing to have one HDS for an international passaround I could check out if there is any interest in Germany. I could also make the doing in Germany. After the PA is finished the light would go back to you.
    Count me in for the pass around in Germany.
    Last edited by Mr. LED; 09-13-2018 at 08:56 AM. Reason: typo
    The darkness is afraid of us.
    🦓🔦

Quote Originally Posted by peter yetman View Post
    Somebody always has to ruin something....smh Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mcm308 View Post
    Your correct! The body, not the beam. Haha
    The light has shipped to KentuckyMike.
    Should be here today, per tracking, though my local USPS has been unusually bad lately so we'll see. Hopefully my 16340s on the way from Illumn make it before I have to ship the light on...I'd really like to try it with LiIons. Can't wait to play with it either way.
    Home of the Throw-Monster!

can I get on the list...

This is a great idea for letting people have the chance to check out either a rotary or executive.

Hope everyone has enjoyed their experience

Quote Originally Posted by Hogokansatsukan View Post
    I have an idea for a single HDS case I may get around to tomorrow... something unique. I have a few other orders to do first, so we will see how the day goes.
    Okay, waited long enough. I will take the bait (probably best in the EDC or holster thread).
    Last edited by RCS1300; 09-15-2018 at 03:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hogokansatsukan View Post
    Candle mode is fun. It is a battery killer though!

I have an idea for a single HDS case I may get around to tomorrow... something unique. I have a few other orders to do first, so we will see how the day goes.
    Haha I had three of mine on the table in “candle mode” last night while enjoying some adult beverages and watching boxing. and my wife walked in, shook her head, said what the heck, shook her head again then went back to bed.
    hunter, fisherman, flashlight enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by JoeRodge View Post
    I really, really like this flashlight. But there are a few issue. It might be light specific...

I put in a battery, played with it a bit. I checked the voltage of the battery, out of curiosity, it was about 2.96. I thought that was a bit low for how little I ran it. I did this with a few others (multiple brands) and within 60 seconds of use they were all under 3v. That just doesn't seem right. Is the light supposed to be on the moment you twist the body back on? When I out the new battery in and close the light it's on. The rotary doesnt work. I click the button and it goes into strobe. Another click turns it off. Once I turn the light on again from there it works.

I know the voltage sags under load, I let them sit. The voltage never recovered above 3v. The new batteries I tried were all between 3.24-3.3 -- pretty confused..
    Light is now in hand.

I've noticed the same behavior. With about 10 minutes of use, less than half on Max (the other half in the 33-66% output range), new primaries are down to 2.95, and recover to 2.98V. Another new primary, same. Will get a longer term test done when dark comes, but it's a thirsty little guy. Have new IMR16340s on the charger to try after I burn a few primaries down to empty.

Initial impressions (beyond those above): I love the momentary max when on rotary setting constant-on. In practice, it works almost like a gas pedal switch-just mash for max. Great for walking the dog (or walking downtown). I would need true momentary for those times I have a pistol, so I would need the Tactical Rotary, but the versatility of the pseudo-infinite ramping is great. Wife loved candle mode....ha.

Question. I know the Tactical has half the output choices for the rotary, but is the range the same? That is, are 1 and 12 on the Tac the same outputs as 1 and 24 on the Rotary?

First half is odd numbers starting at 1 up to 23. 24 (Max) is on the other half of the dial.
    Thor's Hammer Custom Leather
    I'm old, cranky, and don't like private messages. Please don't private message me as that is reserved for moderators giving me warnings that I rightly deserve. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by RCS1300 View Post
    Okay, waited long enough. I will take the bait (probably best in the EDC or holster thread).
    Didn't get a chance to work on it. Was in the shop 13 hours that day. I may get to it this coming week. Today was gut/skin/tan rattlers day.
    I'm old, cranky, and don't like private messages. Please don't private message me as that is reserved for moderators giving me warnings that I rightly deserve. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by KentuckyMike View Post
    I would need true momentary for those times I have a pistol...
    With version 2.18 software you can program the light for true momentary so there is no need for the Tactical. The Tactical is perfect if true momentary is what you need most of the time. Once the version 2.18 software came out I sold my Tactical and purchased the Rotary and two Executives. I did this because I wanted all 24 levels of light available and needed true momentary only infrequently to support my portable hole puncher.

I had missed that on my first breeze through of the full manual. Thanks, RCS! I'll play with programming today.

The full range of levels is nice. At first, I found no use for the lowest third, even at night. With truly night-adjusted eyes (a few hours after sunset on), though, even #1 is sufficient to ceiling bounce in the bathroom or bedroom to see what I'm doing. Still need 2 or 3 to navigate, but #1 is adequate for stationary tasks. The best part is that I did not realize how often I "settle" for a mode that is too dim or too bright with my 1, 2, and 6 level lights. After a day, I find myself naturally rolling up and down as needed. Our dog walk goes through dark areas where very little light goes a long way, under sodium lights where no light is needed, and areas with a bit of ambient light that might be enough to navigate, but where some light is needed (our lab has been on a relentless bullfrog hunt for the last few weeks....ha). One-handed adjustments are second nature already.

Quote Originally Posted by KentuckyMike View Post
    At first, I found no use for the lowest third, even at night.
    I programmed my lights to turn on at the lowest moonlight available. Reason is that I wake up in pitch black darkness and the lowest moonlight is very bright in that situation. With my Rotary, I programmed the on (Preset B) to lowest moonlight, two clicks (Preset C) to the Rotary dial that I keep at about 40 lumens, three clicks (Preset D)to 120 lumens, and preset A to maximum. That way, where ever the Rotary dial is set the light turns on to lowest moonlight.

With the programming you can get to maximum true and pseudo momentary in one of two ways. First is a fast click and then click and hold. Which gets you to maximum light output fast and in momentary. Second is to click the light six times and it is set to complete momentary temporarily. To get the light out of complete momentary you need to remove the battery and wait for 60 seconds and then put the battery back in.
    Last edited by RCS1300; 09-16-2018 at 07:20 AM.

The light should be back in my grubby little paws tomorrow...

I hope it was helpful for folks to have a chance to play with it. I may do another in the future if there is interest. This one will go back into the bug out bag (though the 2AA Clicky has been living there nicely for awhile, so we shall see).

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456