Fitorch        
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Malkoff Bodyguard

Flashaholic

Default Re: Malkoff Bodyguard

Roget that.. I just got on this evening, missed all the text

Quote Originally Posted by roger-roger View Post
    On the Bodyguard: Am I the only one holding out *because* of the step down to 150lm? Isn't that the last thing you want in a super high stress situation?
    same question... interested to know what you guys think?

Quote Originally Posted by roger-roger View Post
    On the Bodyguard: Am I the only one holding out *because* of the step down to 150lm? Isn't that the last thing you want in a super high stress situation?

Quote Originally Posted by xdayv View Post
    same question... interested to know what you guys think?
    This light has been spec'd for Bobyguarding use, the clue is in the name!

If the SHTF then the user wants the protected person out of that situation now! Ten seconds is a lifetime in such a threat situation.

It's been designed for flash & dash type use.

It comes on in HIGH mode every time, it cuts down after ten second because it was never intended/designed to be on any longer thus protecting the light from overheating.
    Last edited by Dave D; 07-11-2018 at 02:34 AM.

I agree, this is a light that will be used for brief, frenetic moments not changing a tire.

Enlightened

Hi, I am intrigued by this light, but for me living in Sweden the cost for body guard head with a 16650 tube would be 238 USD and I would need to pay tax on top of that... it is not really a viable option at that amount... Any suggestions for users in the EU?

Move to the US?
    P

Quote Originally Posted by pomah View Post
    Hi, I am intrigued by this light, but for me living in Sweden the cost for body guard head with a 16650 tube would be 238 USD and I would need to pay tax on top of that... it is not really a viable option at that amount... Any suggestions for users in the EU?
    Buy a Surefire Tactician.

Enlightened

Quote Originally Posted by peter yetman View Post
    Move to the US?
    P
    Not sure Trump would allow it...

Quote Originally Posted by Dave D View Post
    Buy a Surefire Tactician.
    Yeah, I have a qt2l-x alread, but this is different, I like the fact that there is now way to get it to another mod while at the same time you have the lower 150 lumens mode for other things.

Any suggestions for users in the EU?
    Swexit?

Quote Originally Posted by knucklegary View Post
    Too bad the new body was not bored for 18mm battery, with added reducing (delrin) sleeve to run 123 primaries to accommodate department agencies convenience of battery usage

NH.. Looking forward to your evaluation!
    I saw today a comment on Malkoff site that said he would be making an 18650 body for the new body guard head. There I’ll be an adapter supposedly.

See 3rd comment. https://malkoff-devices.myshopify.co...ew-testimonial

Flashaholic

^👍A 16650 donut body would be great for the slim form factor with no adaptor necessary!

It seems that good news is coming ...
    if I could choose, then I would particularly vote for a host mdc 16650 with the pile of donuts.

an even better grip on the current hosts (md2, md3, md4) would also not be a bad idea.

with regard to flashlight bodyguard, I think the product is very good, has all the characteristics of a malkoff product, is like reliability, quality and usability.

for me unfortunately it is not a good option because I prefer the "gas pedal" style tailcap or something similar to what the protac streamlight flashlights make available through programming: 1) high / strobe / low 2) high only 3) low / high

a malkoff flashlight with this interface would make me retire ... lol

Quote Originally Posted by Cobraman502 View Post
    I saw today a comment on Malkoff site that said he would be making an 18650 body for the new body guard head. There I’ll be an adapter supposedly.
    I'll be all over a shroudless 18650 (or 16650) body as soon as they are available.
    Last edited by NH Lumens; 07-13-2018 at 04:29 AM.

Enlightened

Well then I will wait some more I guess...

Got mine! Rock solid typical Malkoff build quality, beautiful beam, nice white light. When I buy a light these days, it has got to be different than anything else I own. The MBG met that criteria. It'll be nice for nights out on the town with the wife knowing that no matter what, this light comes on in high mode.

It has been awhile since my last order, Cathy wrote me a nice paragraph. Can't beat that kind of customer service.

Enlightened

Those of you who have both the 16650 body and the standard 16340, which do you prefer? How is the size compared in length to e.g. a quark with the 16650 body? The 16340 seems to be same size as a 16340 quark from what i can tell.

Those of you who have both the 16650 body and the standard 16340, which do you prefer? How is the size compared in length to e.g. a quark with the 16650 body? The 16340 seems to be same size as a 16340 quark from what i can tell.
    The Bodyguard with the 1-CR123 body is about the same AOL as the Quark QT2L-X head on a 1-AA body.

As to the Malkoff 16650 body vs. the 1-CR123, I've been switching back and forth and at this point have no strong preference. My only gripe with both of these bodies is that the shroud recesses the switch too deeply and makes activation a bit difficult. I ordered he shroudless 1-CR123 body and grip ring yesterday to give that a try.

I think a shroudless 18650 body would be perfect for best grip and ease of access to the switch.

For pocketability, I prefer the shorter tube, Although using a 16650 is so much more efficient. Do the CPF thing and buy both.

It's very funny, a while back everyone was grumbling about the clip on the MDC not allowing tailstanding, and now everyone is all over the new shroudless tail. Guess you can't please all the people all the time.
    I'll take a raised tailcap over tailstanding every time.
    P

Flashaholic

Mr Malkoff should offer the std MDX tailcap with same raised button similar to BG finished button. It's nice to have options.

Quote Originally Posted by peter yetman View Post
    I'll take a raised tailcap over tailstanding every time.
    I concur, especially for an EDC light that will be held primarily in an "icepick" hold with the switch activated by the thumb.

For a general utility or work light, tail standing can be useful.

Gene's tailstandable MD clicky (and MDC's) are very well thought out but and very easy to use....
    In the vein the body guard is designed around a mis-step is not acceptable. (Oops I missed the button)

The role of a body guard for say.... a rock star, a diplomat or a high up government official involves instant reactions to sudden threats.

Local police for example are trained "safety on" to avoid a potential liability. Body guard types are trained "safety off" incase that 1/2 second matters. However, their specialized roles require a certain 'cool under pressure' that goes well beyond conventional training.

I say "bravo" to the protruding button. Another true tactical feature of this truely non-tacti-cool lighting tool.

I also like the ringy surface where it still allows quick non holster grabbing deployment while providing grip rings throughout the body.
    Last edited by bykfixer; 07-15-2018 at 08:04 AM.
    John 3:16

I ordered the 1-CR123 shroudless body yesterday during the FLASH sale, so I'll be checking it out soon.

Quote Originally Posted by NH Lumens View Post
    I ordered the 1-CR123 shroudless body yesterday during the FLASH sale, so I'll be checking it out soon.
    Two thumbs up for the shroudless body! Using a variety of holds that might be used for the intended purpose of this light, I find the body easier to grip and the button far easier to activate. Of course it won't tail stand but that is not a must-have feature for the application.

I had also ordered the grip ring and found it to be beneficial. The only downside is that it makes clipping the light inside a pocket (and removing the light as well) more difficult. The body is certainly grippy enough by itself but I installed some O-rings that make the "cigar hold" a bit more secure.

My two current EDC lights, which are small and light enough to carry together. Shown is the Bodyguard for "defensive applications" and a standard 1-CR123 body with a VME head and M361 LMH drop-in for utilitarian purposes, both powered by an Orbtronic 16340 700mAh protected cell;

Flashaholic

Great lookin combo! Are both bodies equal in battery bore length?
    Appears a new design clip on BG has less tipped-up nose, and maybe thinner gauge sheet?
    Thanks for photos!

Quote Originally Posted by knucklegary View Post
    Are both bodies equal in battery bore length?
    Appears a new design clip on BG has less tipped-up nose, and maybe thinner gauge sheet?
    The internal body dimensions appear identical.

The clips appear the same dimensionally as well, but the bends on the BG clip are not as pronounced so the clip sits slightly tighter to the body. The BG clip also has a hole on the end of it. In terms of retention they both function identically.

For an EDC light I very much prefer the BG body for the easier switch access and the improved grip. With the VME/M361 installed on the BG body and using my default icepick grip, I find it MUCH easier to cycle the switch to get to desired output level. Clipped inside a front pants pocket, I've had no accidental activations with the shroudless body. Other than the loss of tail standing ability, the BG body overall works better for me.

On another note: since the M361 LMH drop-in runs direct drive below 3.4 volts, it works fine on a single CR123A battery, albeit at a reduced (but still extremely useful) output. Being able to run primary cells for back-up purposes in both lights is a nice option to have.

Flashaholic

BG switch design sounds perfect for a beat-up thumb..👍 Thanks!

Glad to see a protruding button getting love for a change.
    John 3:16

Looks like the v2 version was just released and a flash sale this evening

*Flashaholic*

The 10-second thing is an interesting concept.

Interesting, but not tempting enough.

I wonder, if Gene could build a light that slowly declined from X lumens to Y lumens, over say n minutes. With n=1, 3, 5 minutes, or something along those lines. maybe even longer.

Because I found out that it's the first few minutes that are important and then it kicks into the low stable mode. But not such a drastic change from 1000 lumens to 200 and so fast only 10 seconds.

Maybe from 800 lumens to 50% or 400 lumens.
    ****** Malkoff Devices ****** “Learn to light a candle in the darkest moments of someone’s life. Be the light that helps others see; it is what gives life its deepest significance.” ― Roy T. Bennett, The Light in the Heart

Flashaholic

I spoke to both Cathy and Gene ten days ago, first time ever contacting them. Gene and I had a very interesting and lengthy talk about a 18650 Bodyguard and he mentioned they're experimenting with various emitters and designs. I asked about a light that starts off bright, 1000+ lumens then drops down to say 500 or so. That's what I would prefer. He recognized that I've been on the forum since basically the beginning and gave us both the time to discuss the 18650 variant. I sensed nothing as yet was finalized. Fine time discussing needs and ability to deliver varying lumens in the Bodyguard package. The 18650 is definitely in the works and trust Gene will deliver whatever end product he has full faith in. Looking forward to seeing the 18650.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast