• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Light for my Bike

skstretch

Newly Enlightened
Hi,
Just wondering, what lights are best for the bikes??
Road bikes that is? Just ordered a bike get the fitness up
Thanks

Keitho

Enlightened
Big topic, in the same neighborhood as asking "what is the best pocket knife" or "what is the best car." I'd suggest thinking hard about budget and how you will use it. Do you have a tolerance for or prefer switching cells, or do you want USB charging? What is your longest ride? Do you want them for daytime use (be seen), or night rides (to see), or both? Do you prefer a single light solution (if so, handlebar or helmet...I'd strongly suggest handlebar), or prefer a handlebar/helmet combo? Would you notice or prefer higher CRI, or a particular color temp of light? Do you live in a place with regulations on beam cutoffs for riding on roads?

As a couple examples, my wife and I represent a couple of different use cases. My wife has no preference for beam color or artifacts, doesn't want to change cells, and prefers a 2-light combo for daytime and night-time commuting. She uses a couple of $20 "Shenkey" rechargeables for commutes up to 2.5 hours total. I prefer changing and charging cells outside of my lights, like to use my bike lights for EDC, strongly prefer warmer and higher-CRI light, and fastidiously calculate things like "lumen-hours-per-gram" for my flashlights, so I use a couple of Zebralight flashlights on my bar and helmet for commuting and mountain biking. Legislatures in our area haven't regulated bicycle lights yet, so we don't risk prosecution for not using beams with cutoffs.

Ride safe!

skstretch

Newly Enlightened
Big topic, in the same neighborhood as asking "what is the best pocket knife" or "what is the best car." I'd suggest thinking hard about budget and how you will use it. Do you have a tolerance for or prefer switching cells, or do you want USB charging? What is your longest ride? Do you want them for daytime use (be seen), or night rides (to see), or both? Do you prefer a single light solution (if so, handlebar or helmet...I'd strongly suggest handlebar), or prefer a handlebar/helmet combo? Would you notice or prefer higher CRI, or a particular color temp of light? Do you live in a place with regulations on beam cutoffs for riding on roads?As a couple examples, my wife and I represent a couple of different use cases. My wife has no preference for beam color or artifacts, doesn't want to change cells, and prefers a 2-light combo for daytime and night-time commuting. She uses a couple of $20 "Shenkey" rechargeables for commutes up to 2.5 hours total. I prefer changing and charging cells outside of my lights, like to use my bike lights for EDC, strongly prefer warmer and higher-CRI light, and fastidiously calculate things like "lumen-hours-per-gram" for my flashlights, so I use a couple of Zebralight flashlights on my bar and helmet for commuting and mountain biking. Legislatures in our area haven't regulated bicycle lights yet, so we don't risk prosecution for not using beams with cutoffs.Ride safe!
Thanks for reply, What zebras do u use? Hard to get in uk

straightShot

Newly Enlightened
Best? It's subjective.

For bicycles, I like the NiteRider Lumina series. I can press the button on the light and switch from low to medium to high quickly. Oncoming traffic almost often yields before pulling out in front of me since the light is so bright that they often don't know what they're dealing with.

Keitho

Enlightened
Thanks for reply, What zebras do u use? Hard to get in uk

SC64c spot/flood on my helmet, and then usually in my pocket for the rest of the day; SC600FC IV+ flood on my bar. Once I've found a brand, CCT and CRI that I like, I guess I'm loyal.