Fitorch        
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Opus BT-C3100 not charging to 4.3V

  1. #1
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    4,979

    Default Opus BT-C3100 not charging to 4.3V

    Seems my 3400 mAh Panasonics only get charged to about 4150 mAh based on the display. I tested them with a volmeter it says 4.2V. It lacks more granularity than that.
    ****** Malkoff Devices ****** “Learn to light a candle in the darkest moments of someone’s life. Be the light that helps others see; it is what gives life its deepest significance.” ― Roy T. Bennett, The Light in the Heart

  2. #2
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,407

    Default Re: Opus BT-C3100 not charging to 4.3V

    Presumably you mean 3150 not 4150. What voltage were they resting at when you started the charge? If 3.33V or above then that is where your missing 5% lies, i.e. you started charging them at 5% capacity, so the charger will only show the remaining 95% it actually charges. You'll need a higher precision meter to verify the charge termination voltage.

  3. #3
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    4,979

    Default Re: Opus BT-C3100 not charging to 4.3V

    Whoops, typo.

    I charge my 3500 mAh batteries when the voltage hits 3.5V or so, sometimes less sometimes more. I don't usually go down down into 2V like 2.5V.
    Upon taking them out of the charger,the number that reads on the charger when it quits is 4.150V, not 4.300V like it should.

    An independent voltmeter test shows that it's closer to 4.2V than 4.3V.
    ****** Malkoff Devices ****** “Learn to light a candle in the darkest moments of someone’s life. Be the light that helps others see; it is what gives life its deepest significance.” ― Roy T. Bennett, The Light in the Heart

  4. #4
    *Flashaholic* ChrisGarrett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Miami, Florida
    Posts
    5,014

    Default Re: Opus BT-C3100 not charging to 4.3V

    Quote Originally Posted by etc View Post
    Whoops, typo.

    I charge my 3500 mAh batteries when the voltage hits 3.5V or so, sometimes less sometimes more. I don't usually go down down into 2V like 2.5V.
    Upon taking them out of the charger,the number that reads on the charger when it quits is 4.150V, not 4.300V like it should.

    An independent voltmeter test shows that it's closer to 4.2V than 4.3V.
    We want the 4.20v number, not the 4.30v number, which is out of spec for 3.6v/3.7v cells.

    The cells will drop a bit, once the charge terminates and/or they settle for a day. Of course, if they're tired cells, then they won't be anywhere close to 4.20v after a stretch.

    You can drill a hole in the bottom of the BT-3100 and access the voltage/chemistry slider switch and charge up 3.8v cells (4.35v), but then they should terminate at ~4.35v, not 4.30v.

    Chris
    Convoy: S2, S2+, M1, M2, Fenix: P1D, PD32, HL30, ET: D25C Ti, SF: 6P, ZL: SC-600, Klarus: P2A, Jetbeam: BA-20, Icon: Rogue 1, L3: L10, Xeno: E03, ShiningBeam: I-Mini, Olight: i3s, SWM: D40A, M11R, V11R, Maglite: 6Ds, MMs, Solitaires, LaCrosse BC-700, Maha C-9000, XTAR VP2, MP1S, XP1, MC1+, WP2 II, NiteCore i4, v2.

  5. #5
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,407

    Default Re: Opus BT-C3100 not charging to 4.3V

    What version is your Opus? Early versions had a bug that caused it to take very long to charge to 4.35V (LiHV) because it entered CV too low. This might be your problem (and/or your cells are unhealthy with high IR). Presumably you know that you need to use the internal switch to change it to LiHV mode.

  6. #6
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,523

    Default Re: Opus BT-C3100 not charging to 4.3V

    Are those cells designed for charging to 4.35v? If not, then don't do it. At best, you're stressing your cells and causing them to age prematurely. At worst, you're creating a safety issue.

  7. #7
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    4,979

    Default Re: Opus BT-C3100 not charging to 4.3V

    like everyone else here, I have a mix of 18650s that take 4.35V and a trainload of older 4.2V ones.
    ****** Malkoff Devices ****** “Learn to light a candle in the darkest moments of someone’s life. Be the light that helps others see; it is what gives life its deepest significance.” ― Roy T. Bennett, The Light in the Heart

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •