Olight S1 Mini High CRI impressions

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just received a complementary sample, of the Olight S1 Mini High CRI from Olight Direct https://www.ebay.com/itm/162781055816
Note they are located in USA, so shipping arrives very quickly, I like that :)
42548945474_67305678fd_c.jpg

Protected USB rechargeable battery included:
as well as the charging cable, there is no need for a charger, it is built into the battery.
29397912458_5861baf4f5_b.jpg

Remove the battery isolator from the preinstalled battery
43218064882_4bcf034d38_b.jpg

Let there be Light!,
42363399375_a2e29f34e7_b.jpg

UI and modes
Olight has my favorite UI. Click on Click off, with last mode memory.
Direct access to sublumen moonlight, direct access to Turbo, direct access to Strobe.
Hold to advance modes, there ia Low, Medium and High, in addition to Turbo and Moonlight.

Tint Check:
The Olight S1 Mini High CRI got a reputation for Green Tint early on, but, it is actually not as green tinted as many typical Cool White lights, for example my RRT-01.
On left N219b 4500k, in middle Stock 5500k XP-G3 in the High CRI Olight S1 Mini, on right stock RRT-01 w 6000k XM-L2
29397724328_c4a2e5e65b_b.jpg

When to recharge
One of the really cool features of the Olight S1 Mini High CRI is the red LED that turns on when it is time to charge the battery. This feature makes the light a great gift or starter light for someone that does not know how to check battery voltage, and maybe does not own a DVM. I like that I do not need to open the light to check voltage, nor do I have to worry about overdisharging due to the battery protection.

When the red light turned on I removed the battery, it read 3.39 Volts on my meter.
27412332958_324fa1443d_b.jpg

Plugged in the USB charger:
41242969982_f337b6e989_b.jpg

2 1/2 hours later charging is finished :
26414159487_8aeb4bcb9d_h.jpg

Weights:
The Olight USB battery weighs 18 grams
41287200061_4ecc4431c9_b.jpg

The empty Olight S1 Mini weights just 20 grams. Total 38 grams.
41241842822_f331e8bfc5_b.jpg

I recommend this light, this is my 3rd one, I keep giving them to my camping buddies. The light is Very small, very light weight, includes battery and charging cable, no need for a charger. Includes pocket clip that works on a hat as a headlamp, red indicator light when time to recharge, no need for DVM, and no need to open the light to check when to recharge. Battery is protected so no risk of overdischarge.

Makes a great gift to someone with no prior LiIon experience or equipment.

Also makes a very versatile EDC for a flashaholic who appreciates moonlight, Turbo, a simple UI, multi function pocket clip, a free battery that does not require a separate charger, plus High CRI, all for a relatively modest price point.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is it possible to use a standard 16340 in this flashlight?

Definitely yes

and the USB rechargeable protected 16340 battery, that is Included in the price of the Olight S1 Mini High CRI, also work great in other flashlights, and they can also be charged on a conventional charger.

BigBluefish

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like it. I too have given a few S1s or at least the AA powered version as gifts. With that HiCRI emitter, and USB charging, I will have to get one.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's a cool mini lighting kit sir!
I hope you enjoy it!

fwiw, I also bought myself the Olight Universal charger, https://www.olightstore.com/olight-universal-magnetic-usb-charger
it works on the 16340 as well as the AAA battery in this kit:
41501349150_56f9d50cc5_c.jpg

thats the Olight case, that I also bought for myself from here https://www.olightstore.com/olight-accessories-case?search=olight case
I really like it
42363400425_0252f205f3_b.jpg

the clear battery locker for the spare 16340 is here
https://countycomm.com/collections/capsules/products/xl-pico-pull-waterproof

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have had this light for awhile. I also have all the higher end metal S Minis. I am still more impressed with the S Mini NW than this hi-cri variant.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am still more impressed with the S Mini NW than this hi-cri variant.

glad you have choices, and glad you like your NW Ti S Mini. I have not tried one, yet

here are some features of the S1 Mini that the S Mini does not have:

S1 has a low battery indicator light
S1 is High CRi
S1 has a High mode in addition to a Turbo mode
S1 has a pocket clip that does both bezel up and bezel down
S1 has a tail magnet
S1 weighs less
S1 is shorter
S1 includes a USB rechargeable battery (a $10 value)

In practical terms, as a gift to a non flashaholic, the S1 Mini does not require a separate charger, does not require the operator to open the light to check battery voltage, does not require owning a voltmeter.

I understand that you like the warmer LED in your Ti S Mini better than in the cooler LED in your S1 Mini High CRI. FWIW the NW LED has negative R9, which means it is not as good at rendering the red color. I also realize most people do not care about CRI very much.

Here are the two spectrum charts for the two lights, courtesy of posts by maukka.

42442353005_67032988a9_b.jpg
42442352555_cb6d7c1eb2_b.jpg

I invite you to post side by side beamshots of your S1 Mini High CRI and your Ti S Mini.

Here is my NW Utorch S1 Mini and my Olight S1 Mini High CRI. You can see the NW is yellower (warmer)
27116699757_5c5c580fff_b.jpg

I had my Utorch S1 Mini NW modified to N219b, here is the result:
left is N219b 4500k 9080, middle is the Olight S1 Mini High CRI, right is a CW XM-L2 (as in the Olight Copper S Mini)
29397724328_c4a2e5e65b_b.jpg

If I had the option, I would love to have Nichias in my Olights also :)

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay cool! I will actually take some pics later on tonight and post them. The tint thing with me is VERY subjective. I have severe RED color blindness that bleeds over into other portions of the spectrum. Will post anyways. The upgrade metal S1 Minis are my favorite bite sized light ever. I have all of them. I DO really dig the NEW Olight design for the new Minis though. I can only hope they go upscale with ti, brass, copper etc that made the those older Minis such a hit.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree tint is very subjective, differences that show up in side by side, may not be noticeable in actual use, for example:
left to right, 4000k 219b, 4000k XPL, 5500k XP-G3 Olight S1 Mini High CRI
41816157632_4e99e3ce64_b.jpg

even though that NW light in the middle looks really yellow, and I thought I would hate it, I quickly got used to it when it was the only light on, late at night.

I also like the fancy metals, I had a Copper Olight S Mini CW. It was just too heavy for my EDC. I do want to try the Ti S Mini, the main reason I have not bought one, is that I tended to open the Cu S Mini frequently to check the battery. So I prefer the S1 Mini for the low battery indicator. otoh, in practical terms, when these Mini lights can no longer hold Turbo, or High mode, that is a practical indicator that it is time to charge the battery.

choices are good, I tend to rotate through 2-3 lights in the course of a 24 hour day, cooler during the day and at higher lumen levels, warmer later at night and at lower lumen levels.

I find that I like my flashlight to be slightly cooler, not warmer, than the white balance of my brain at the time of use. When Im adapted to sunlight, I prefer 5-6000k. When Im adapted to the 3000k incandescent light in my home at night I prefer 4-4500k. And when I wake in full darkness, I enjoy 2-3000k

The white balance of the brain at the time of use has a large influence on my Tint (actually CCT) preference. I tolerate Low CRI surprisingly well, but I prefer High CRI whenever possible.

I hope Olight comes out with some CR123 lights that use N219b LEDs, but, thats just not going to happen. And unfortunately, the XM-L2 platform in the S Mini, is not Nichia compatible, even if I wanted to swap the LEDs. So, I make compromises.

Another area of compromise for me, is beam shape. I like the Aspheric beam for headlamp use to illuminate things at arms length, but the TIR in the Olights is superior for illuminating things at more than 5 feet away. Beam shape, Color Temperature, CRI, Lumens, carry weight, Oh My!:)

Last edited:

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow! Those are far better pics than I just took but here they are anyways. Freshly charged cells. The new HiCri Smini and my rainbow colored ti NW S Mini.

IMG_0271_zpslwjhovi1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_0273_zpsfwm4qwjq.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_0274_zpsfpalohxj.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_0275_zpscz2yinos.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_0276_zps274wpsod.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Gosh darn it I gotta put these on photobucket or something first that is right. Okay finally got it. Did what I could in my huge dark basement with white painted walls. Come to think of it after comparing these two neither of them to MY EYES are really "amazing NW". Hmph. Still dig them though.

BRB

Last edited:

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for taking the time to post pics

I use a folded piece of white printer paper and arrange lights in a row, warmest on left, coolest on right. If you have white balance control, use daylight white balance. My pics all use auto white balance on my iPhone, so I usually include a cool white light to fool the phone into daylight white balance. I like 3 beams per photo, for me that is what communicates best. One of the lights is just there to show the Cool White reference.

Bear in mind that tint differences that are very obvious when comparing beams side by side, may not be "noticeable in actual use" when only one light source is involved. Our brain changes white balance based on what ambient light it is adapted to, and our brain will try to make a single source look "white". A phone camera w auto white balance will do the same, single beams, even if 4000k, will turn out looking white, with no warmth.

Photos mainly give relative color, from one light to another, so I usually like to include an N219b 4000k for reference for those who may own that LED. Tint is not an absolute thing, it changes with white balance. I take several photos, at different brightness settings, and then choose the one that looks closest to what I see with my eyes.

Photos of single beams dont work well for me, unless every photo uses the same 5500k daylight white balance.

rookiedaddy

Enlightened
nice review jon. :thumbsup:
I hope Olight comes out with some CR123 lights that use N219b LEDs, but, thats just not going to happen. And unfortunately, the XM-L2 platform in the S Mini, is not Nichia compatible, even if I wanted to swap the LEDs. So, I make compromises.
never say never, they might... we just have to push harder... one day, when they realize Hi-CRI accompanying nice neutral tint (anything below 5,300K) offers best user experience, plus user programmable mode group, plus aesthetically pleasing exotic material... is the day we sing our praise and celebrate the joy! :grin2:

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
... plus user programmable mode group, plus aesthetically pleasing exotic material...

thanks for the kind words
yes, I would also like an infinitely variable magnetic ring, and a legoAble aspheric head
wait, I already have all that, it just means I have to carry 3 lights.. that should not be a problem.. lol!

Olightworld

Enlightened
Never say never! We pass everything we see from you guys on up to the design team and engineers!

recDNA

Flashaholic
Is there an easy way to attach a ring to the back surface using some kind of glue? I have no tools nor soldering skills and lack the dexterity to solder anyway.