ArmyTek        
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 69

Thread: Custom made 10440 flashlight prototype completed

  1. #1

    Default Custom made 10440 flashlight prototype completed

    I'm very excited to introduce the third flashlight in my line-up. After the Nucleus and the Omicron this is an other step up in size (actually itís more like two...:-) I've started building the first prototype nearly a year ago, and went through quite a few versions. Unlike my previous lights I wasn't on a mission anymore to make the smallest or most compact flashlight. This was the first time I could do a little more without having to worry about too little material remaining. As you will see on the pictures, this light is quite a bit bigger than other 10440/AAA size production flashlights, but there is a good reason for that. (Btw, if my back story gets boring, just go ahead and roll down to see the pictures:-)
    With more material to work with, I could give you some great options as well as customization. I've made and re-made each part of the light numerous time, until I was perfectly satisfied with the look.
    Until I'm getting closer to the official release, I won't discuss exact dimensions, and some of the specs will be left unsaid, but otherwise I'll tell you everything you need to know about this light. In the following weeks/months I will share more details, and pictures some custom options, so by the time it is released, you'll know if this light suits your needs.
    I know, there are many of you have been waiting for a custom flashlight this size, and specifically what I'm coming up with. I really hope this meets and exceeds your expectation. Let me know, what you think, also if you have any questions.

    Name: Balaton (It is a homage to the place where I originally come from)

    As far as electronic/mechanic and optical features, here they are:

    - Deep reflector so it would have a very usable throw as well as nice spill for closeup illumination.
    - Sapphire glass window with dual anti reflective coating. (There will be a second sapphire glass window for the exotic versions, covering the tritium sphere in the tail switch)
    - Small copper pill so it's easier for me to offer emitter options.
    - Driver will a FET / DD driver with Guppy2Drv.
    - Reverse clicky tail switch w/ o-ringed metal tail button (I know many of you prefer forward clicky's but there aren't many choices in this small size and I personally grown to like this switch quite a bit)

    External and self illuminating features:

    - Milled and cross-milled head features for better heat dissipation.
    - 5x 1.5mmx6mm trit vials in the body.
    - 4x 1mmx3mm vials and 1x 1.5mmx6mm vial in the tail switch (Standard Versions)
    - 1x 7mm Red Tritium Sphere in the tail buttons. ( This will only be available for the exotic versions.)
    - 2x sleeves over body for customization (only for Standard versions, exotic versions will be sleeveless matching the finish diameter of sleeved lights.)
    - There will be exotic sleeve options (BlueTongue, Mokuti/Timascus, Mokume Gane, Exotic Wood are on the plans)





    Few more words on the external features. The ring you see under the tail-cap, is not only a decorative ring but a space reserved for a clip. At this point, Iím not sure when, or if this clip ever happens, but if it does it will be something really nice that matches this light.
    O-rings and chamfered edges are not added of the prototype, but the production pieces will carry these features.


    Release Date: Late September to early October



    All these picture are available on my Flickr in high resolution HERE:


















































  2. #2

    Default Re: Custom made 10440 flashlight prototype completed

    I will just pay rent a month late. Love the color scheme. Love the tritium.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Custom made 10440 flashlight prototype completed

    Great looking with some very innovative features. I am not missing out this time, Egginator1 and I will take 2 each!!!!!
    Last edited by Zandar; 07-12-2018 at 09:12 AM.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Custom made 10440 flashlight prototype completed

    Quote Originally Posted by JoeRodge View Post
    I will just pay rent a month late. Love the color scheme. Love the tritium.
    I heard landlords are really patient people...:-)

  5. #5

    Default Re: Custom made 10440 flashlight prototype completed

    Quote Originally Posted by Zandar View Post
    fantastic looking, Egginator1 and I will take 2 each!!!!!
    Thanks Zandar, I'll just invoce Mike then, I'm sure he loves surprises:-)

  6. #6
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Pleasanton (Bay Area), CA, USA
    Posts
    3,848

    Default Re: Custom made 10440 flashlight prototype completed

    Beautiful light.
    Powered by LibreOffice and Linux Mint

  7. #7

    Default Re: Custom made 10440 flashlight prototype completed

    No just go ahead and invoice me right now!!!!!!!!!!!!! And yes, Mike does love surprises!!

  8. #8

    Default Re: Custom made 10440 flashlight prototype completed

    Quote Originally Posted by HarryN View Post
    Beautiful light.
    Thanks Harry!:-)

  9. #9
    *Flashaholic* easilyled's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Middlesex, UK
    Posts
    7,098

    Default Re: Custom made 10440 flashlight prototype completed

    Please invoice Egginator for 5 exotics for me!

    Seriously though, your pre-sales thread prototype reveals are fully of excitement in themselves. Your ingenuity is impossible to second-guess and always a delight to discover.

    I'm thinking that the red-tritium-disc switch would be absolutely stunning on black polished zirconium. But also on copper, mokume gane or just about anything else.

    How much ambient light does the red tritium disc provide? Equivalent to moonlight short-range illumination or not to that extent?

    Is the Balaton able to tailstand?
    We are all flotsam and jetsam being carried by a relentless tide towards our ultimate fate!

  10. #10

    Default Re: Custom made 10440 flashlight prototype completed

    One way or the other, one of the prototypes is either going to The Saw Mill Inn or the Smithsonian this time!

  11. #11

    Default Re: Custom made 10440 flashlight prototype completed

    Let the pre sale begin NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  12. #12

    Default Re: Custom made 10440 flashlight prototype completed

    Quote Originally Posted by George7806 View Post
    Thanks Zandar, I'll just invoce Mike then, I'm sure he loves surprises:-)
    No worries just invoice me for the 4 or is it now 9 lights!!!!!

  13. #13

    Default Re: Custom made 10440 flashlight prototype completed

    I love it!! I love how you've incorporated a trit sphere in the switching mechanism. A very unique feature. What two metals are used in the pics above? I like the contrast of the metals. If that's brass and titanium, then that will look really nice when the brass forms a patina. Any idea on the price point?
    Who needs to see the light at the end of the tunnel when you have friends on CPF?
    My flashlight videos: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...9TIYcGeuBXa5m0

  14. #14

    Default Re: Custom made 10440 flashlight prototype completed

    Quote Originally Posted by easilyled View Post
    Please invoice Egginator for 5 exotics for me!

    Seriously though, your pre-sales thread prototype reveals are fully of excitement in themselves. Your ingenuity is impossible to second-guess and always a delight to discover.

    I'm thinking that the red-tritium-disc switch would be absolutely stunning on black polished zirconium. But also on copper, mokume gane or just about anything else.

    How much ambient light does the red tritium disc provide? Equivalent to moonlight short-range illumination or not to that extent?

    Is the Balaton able to tailstand?
    Thank you so much for those words, it's truly appreciated!
    The red sphere would look great on black Zirconium, I'm not decided on Zirc being on the books yet, but you're right it'd be a killer look...:-)
    Exotic versions will have the spheres only, as they are as rare as albino unicorns...so only Damasteel, Mokume, Mokuti will have this option.
    I will try to make a comparison about the light output of the sphere compared to smaller trit vials. It is a relatively small 7mm sphere though, so we'll see.
    It will stand un-assisted for hours....until someone knocks it over:-)

  15. #15

    Default Re: Custom made 10440 flashlight prototype completed

    Quote Originally Posted by Zandar View Post
    No just go ahead and invoice me right now!!!!!!!!!!!!! And yes, Mike does love surprises!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zandar View Post
    One way or the other, one of the prototypes is either going to The Saw Mill Inn or the Smithsonian this time!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zandar View Post
    Let the pre sale begin NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zandar View Post
    No worries just invoice me for the 4 or is it now 9 lights!!!!!
    Done, done and done....so you take the first 15 of them correct?:-)

  16. #16

    Default Re: Custom made 10440 flashlight prototype completed

    Quote Originally Posted by badtziscool View Post
    I love it!! I love how you've incorporated a trit sphere in the switching mechanism. A very unique feature. What two metals are used in the pics above? I like the contrast of the metals. If that's brass and titanium, then that will look really nice when the brass forms a patina. Any idea on the price point?
    Thank you for the kind words, I'm really happy with being able to fit the trit sphere the way I wanted. The 2 metals are brass and Ti, and they compliment each other quite well:-) I can't tell the exact price on it, but it will be priced more conservatively as it's predecessor. The reason for this is that the Omicron was such a pain to machine , that I've had a lot of headache making it. This one will take more time to complete, but if all goes well less difficulty.

  17. #17
    xdayv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    1,845

    Default Re: Custom made 10440 flashlight prototype completed

    This is something to look forward to! I hope the clip makes it during the product launching.

  18. #18
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    394

    Default Re: Custom made 10440 flashlight prototype completed

    This is a very good looking flashlight. A lot of amazing details.

  19. #19

    Rolleye11 Re: Custom made 10440 flashlight prototype completed

    Wait, I thought it was 10 lights or 11with one for Karlthev, Do I get quantity discount pricing at 15 units?
    Last edited by Zandar; 07-13-2018 at 07:43 AM.

  20. #20
    *Flashaholic* easilyled's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Middlesex, UK
    Posts
    7,098

    Default Re: Custom made 10440 flashlight prototype completed

    Quote Originally Posted by George7806 View Post
    Thank you so much for those words, it's truly appreciated!
    The red sphere would look great on black Zirconium, I'm not decided on Zirc being on the books yet, but you're right it'd be a killer look...:-)
    Exotic versions will have the spheres only, as they are as rare as albino unicorns...so only Damasteel, Mokume, Mokuti will have this option.
    I will try to make a comparison about the light output of the sphere compared to smaller trit vials. It is a relatively small 7mm sphere though, so we'll see.
    It will stand un-assisted for hours....until someone knocks it over:-)
    Sounds fantastic! Thanks for the comprehensive reply. Balaton in Hungary must be beautiful if this light was inspired by it.
    We are all flotsam and jetsam being carried by a relentless tide towards our ultimate fate!

  21. #21
    Flashaholic* MikeSalt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Stoke On Trent, Staffordshire, UK
    Posts
    1,943

    Default Re: Custom made 10440 flashlight prototype completed

    I've just realised, the Balaton with red trit sphere in Mokume Gane will look like a volcano with lava flowing down it if you headstand it.

  22. #22
    xdayv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    1,845

    Default Re: Custom made 10440 flashlight prototype completed

    Quote Originally Posted by easilyled View Post
    Is the Balaton able to tailstand?
    Quote Originally Posted by George7806 View Post
    It will stand un-assisted for hours....until someone knocks it over:-)
    With the tritium sphere at the tail, tailstanding will be a thing of the past LOL; as we will tailstand it now using the head!?
    I bet... this is the advent in which the tail rivals the head.

  23. #23

    Default Re: Custom made 10440 flashlight prototype completed

    Out of the park again George! Canít wait to see the exotics! Since I am apparently buying for all, does that mean I get first pick? Buy 10 get one free... haha.

  24. #24

    Default Re: Custom made 10440 flashlight prototype completed

    Quote Originally Posted by xdayv View Post
    This is something to look forward to! I hope the clip makes it during the product launching.
    The chances for the clip making it by the lunch are not great, there are so much work to do for the release this few months will fly by. However, if I make that clip, it should be well suited with the rest of the light!

  25. #25

    Default Re: Custom made 10440 flashlight prototype completed

    Quote Originally Posted by Croquette View Post
    This is a very good looking flashlight. A lot of amazing details.
    Thank you for the kind words, I'm glad, you like it:-)

  26. #26

    Default Re: Custom made 10440 flashlight prototype completed

    Quote Originally Posted by Zandar View Post
    Wait, I thought it was 10 lights or 11with one for Karlthev, Do I get quantity discount pricing at 15 units?
    Of course you do, after every 10, there are 5 free one... But all jokes aside, I'm planning to sell this light at a price point, that it will be more affordable. I might have said this, but this light is a lot more work, but lot less headache than the Omicron or Nucleus. Do anyone ever measured light price per volume? (cubic inch or cubic mm?) :-)

  27. #27

    Default Re: Custom made 10440 flashlight prototype completed

    Quote Originally Posted by easilyled View Post
    Sounds fantastic! Thanks for the comprehensive reply. Balaton in Hungary must be beautiful if this light was inspired by it.
    My pleasure, I enjoy your interest in my pieces:-) Balaton is a beautiful lake, but having growing up there makes it even more magical...:-)

  28. #28

    Default Re: Custom made 10440 flashlight prototype completed

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeSalt View Post
    I've just realised, the Balaton with red trit sphere in Mokume Gane will look like a volcano with lava flowing down it if you headstand it.
    One way to try right Mike? I'm planning to make a Mokume version way before production, with an exotic wood sleeve, so you'll be able to check it out:-)

  29. #29

    Default Re: Custom made 10440 flashlight prototype completed

    Quote Originally Posted by xdayv View Post
    With the tritium sphere at the tail, tailstanding will be a thing of the past LOL; as we will tailstand it now using the head!?
    I bet... this is the advent in which the tail rivals the head.
    I'm not gonna lie to you Dave, that trit button looks pretty damn nice in the darkness...:-)

  30. #30

    Default Re: Custom made 10440 flashlight prototype completed

    Quote Originally Posted by egginator1 View Post
    Out of the park again George! Canít wait to see the exotics! Since I am apparently buying for all, does that mean I get first pick? Buy 10 get one free... haha.
    Thank you Mike, I can't wait to have some fun with the exotics! I already have a deal with Zandar with 5 free after every 10, so he'll probably sell you one of his free one:-))

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •