Angryfox        
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: HDS Systems EDC Pics #1

Default HDS Systems EDC Pics #1

I'm a visual person. Wanted to create a thread for HDS that was primarily picture based. Love seeing collection pics and pictures of these lights used on the daily. Show me what HDS lights you're rocking in your pocket!

If you're having trouble getting images uploaded in decent quality (like I did recently), then use tinypic.com. They also have an app in the App Store.
    Last edited by moltenmag; 07-12-2018 at 01:14 PM.

Default Re: HDS Systems EDC Pics #1

Iíll start. Hereís my carry. EDC rotary 2700k

Thanks, I love HDS and don't think there can ever be too many HDS threads, but just so you know there's already one thread with a photo-focus. Its a bit more specific than what you've started here so maybe there's room for both on the forum, but just in case you want to go look -- http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...e-World-(PICS)

With that out of the way, let's get to some pics!!

Now THAT is a nice collection!
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

Stunning! My face is hunter green with envy!

Beware! Henry says no clips under the bezel.
    ďMay it be a light to you in dark places, when all other lights go out.Ē
    J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

Quote Originally Posted by Modernflame View Post
    Stunning! My face is hunter green with envy!

Well unless he offers a better solution my clip isn't moving

Hello darkness my old friend,
    I've come to talk with you again...
    I liked neutral tints before they were cool.

Thor's Hammer Custom Leather
    I'm old, cranky, and don't like private messages. Please don't private message me as that is reserved for moderators giving me warnings that I rightly deserve. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Random Dan View Post
    Well unless he offers a better solution my clip isn't moving

an old boxer airhead

Amazing collection mark, you have some seriously awesome lights in your family!

Quote Originally Posted by Modernflame View Post
    I'm very aware, and while I'd never want to go toe-to-toe with Henry on the heavy engineering questions, I don't think his reservations about it carry much concern. At least, they don't for me. As I've seen it stated, there are ~3 reasons he doesn't recommend it:

1. Waterproofness. He's right on a stock light..but its easily mitigated with a larger o-ring. My HDS lights with clips under the bezel and properly up-sized o-rings have been underwater many times - freshwater, saltwater, pools, rivers, lakes and oceans. As much as 8ish feet down at times. Plus I regularly wash them off in the sink when they get dirty. Zero water intrusion. Maybe if I was a diver it would be different, but then HDS doesn't recommend these lights for diving, so I'm not concerned about that.

2. Focal length. Literally not an issue if you install the clip above the reflector, so its touching the bezel not the body. If you put the clip between the head and the reflector he's absolutely right, the reflector is raised the thickness of the clip and it usually results in an ugly donut-hole beam. Some folks still do this though because it removes the need for the thicker o-ring. But I don't, so the added space is above the reflector, below the glass, which is where the thicker o-ring goes, and the relationship between the reflector and the LED is unchanged.

3. Less threads holding. No argument there, he's objectively correct in this. The bezel now has ~1mm less thread depth holding. But since HDS lights are waaayy over-engineered anyway I think it can spare that mm and still be damn strong. And in my experience it is.

Now Henry could probably come in here with some math and show that the thicker o-ring lessens pressure against the crystal by such-n-such percent, or the strength of the connection between the bezel and the light is now weaker by such-n-such percent, maybe even the distance between the LED and crystal being increased by a mm results in...something negative idk (but not focal length), and he'll almost certainly be completely right, but I still find those issues well within my own personal tolerances and requirements and well worth the trade-off for the better carry option. Its not to Henry so he says he won't do it, and I respect that. But I've got a bezel-clipped HDS in my pocket again today and I'm not the least bit worried. Its still one of the most robust and reliable flashlights I own, even if its ever-so-slightly "lessened" somehow compared to the unclipped masses.

@Hogo, that black SEAL bezel is fantastic. Love it!!
    Last edited by emarkd; 07-13-2018 at 10:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by emarkd View Post
    I'm very aware, and while I'd never want to go toe-to-toe with Henry on the heavy engineering questions, I don't think his reservations about it carry much concern. At least, they don't for me. As I've seen it stated, there are ~3 reasons he doesn't recommend it:

1. Waterproofness. He's right on a stock light..but its easily mitigated with a larger o-ring. My HDS lights with clips under the bezel and properly up-sized o-rings have been underwater many times - freshwater, saltwater, pools, rivers, lakes and oceans. As much as 8ish feet down at times. Plus I regularly wash them off in the sink when they get dirty. Zero water intrusion. Maybe if I was a diver it would be different, but then HDS doesn't recommend these lights for diving, so I'm not concerned about that.

2. Focal length. Literally not an issue if you install the clip above the reflector, so its touching the bezel not the body. If you put the clip between the head and the reflector he's absolutely right, the reflector is raised the thickness of the clip and it usually results in an ugly donut-hole beam. Some folks still do this though because it removes the need for the thicker o-ring. But I don't, so the added space is above the reflector, below the glass, which is where the thicker o-ring goes, and the relationship between the reflector and the LED is unchanged.

3. Less threads holding. No argument there, he's objectively correct in this. The bezel now has ~1mm less thread depth holding. But since HDS lights are waaayy over-engineered anyway I think it can spare that mm and still be damn strong. And in my experience it is.

Now Henry could probably come in here with some math and show that the thicker o-ring lessens pressure against the crystal by such-n-such percent, or the strength of the connection between the bezel and the light is now weaker by such-n-such percent, maybe even the distance between the LED and crystal being increased by a mm results in...something negative idk (but not focal length), and he'll almost certainly be completely right, but I still find those issues well within my own personal tolerances and requirements and well worth the trade-off for the better carry option. Its not to Henry so he says he won't do it, and I respect that. But I've got a bezel-clipped HDS in my pocket again today and I'm not the least bit worried. Its still one of the most robust and reliable flashlights I own, even if its ever-so-slightly "lessened" somehow compared to the unclipped masses.

@Hogo, that black SEAL bezel is fantastic. Love it!!
    As Hogo, I agree with everything above.
    As an HDS partner, don't do it, even though I'm going to do it myself when Henry isn't looking!
    I'm old, cranky, and don't like private messages. Please don't private message me as that is reserved for moderators giving me warnings that I rightly deserve. Thank you.

20 min into my 4 mile run. G-Shock 5600E accompanied by new rotary 2700k. Florida sun is blistering. 2 more miles to go... Letís go!! *♂️

Run or walk.............................

Love the watch! ...................(and the HDS obviously)

More eye candy I just finished.

Genuine crocodile backstrap... Taller to protect more of the light with side cutouts.

Stingray made taller with side cutouts. 18680 HDS in it.

Titanium Clicky...

Side view 18680.

Amazing Hogo, love them all.....................WOW

Beautiful craftsmanship!!

Those side cutouts are a great idea, itís much more practical for the regular holster when pulling the light straight up.

On the job....

It's sad when you make a holster for a light you aren't going to even get for 6 months.
    For my future bronze HDS... going for that leather armor look.

That's the best one yet!
    ďMay it be a light to you in dark places, when all other lights go out.Ē
    J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

Some old friends I found pics of, no longer with me.

My coffee table (beer table??) during a get-together with a buddy a while back. There's a few HDSsss in that pic if you can spot them!

So that's the EDC pocket dump then ? ...
    ... is the archimedes peak

Only the front right pocket....

I had to switch to Duluth Trading Co Firehose Flex pants. They have a bit of stretch to fit all my gear. 😉

... the HDS of pants

From main HDS thread...

Quote Originally Posted by nbp View Post
    My coffee table (beer table??) during a get-together with a buddy a while back. There's a few HDSsss in that pic if you can spot them!

All I see is that NRA Blue. *sigh* She's beautiful...

Itís about 7x rarer than the Ti Rotaries will be, but Iím feeling generous so letís say $3500. Bahahaha! 😂

Quote Originally Posted by nbp View Post
    Itís about 7x rarer than the Ti Rotaries will be, but Iím feeling generous so letís say $3500. Bahahaha!
    Honestly I didn't even expect you to put a price on it so we're further along than I expected! It's a start!

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast