Fitorch        

Thread: What's the difference in appearance between Xpg2 and Xml2?

Default What's the difference in appearance between Xpg2 and Xml2?

I saw a flashlight in a store that uses 2AA batteries and puts out 280 lumens, at least that's what's advertised on the package. With that many lumens using 2AA batteries, I figured it might be a Cree XML2 light. I went online to look at pictures of the Cree Xml2 and Xpg2 LEDs to see what they looked like and was surprised to find that they look alike. I then went to the store with a good magnifying glass and took a close look at it and it matched what either one of them looked like when I researched them online. Is there any real difference in appearance? Here's a link to an online source for the light, which give no info. on which LED is used. https://www.menards.com/main/electri...331193&ipos=24

I've seen many of the lower priced lights from Gearbest use XPG2, but one of their more popular ones called the Zanflare: https://www.gearbest.com/led-flashli...ml?wid=1433363

has an output of 200 lumens for .63 hours, while the Guidesman I'm asking about from Menards outputs 280 lumens for 1.5 hours. That leads me to think it must have an Xml2 emitter. But is there a way to know for sure?
    Last edited by LEDrock; 07-12-2018 at 02:14 PM.
    Minimag with niteize LED (2), River Rock 2AAA (2), River Rock 2AA, Brinkmann 3AAA LED headlamp, ROV Roughneck 2D, Inova keychain LED, Performance Tool 3AAA.

Default Re: What's the difference in appearance between Xpg2 and Xml2?

The XP-G2 is smaller than the XM-L2. I think it's a difference of 3.5mm^2 vs 5mm^2 but I could be remembering that wrong.

I wouldn't put much stock in those stated runtimes. Sometimes differences will be because one light is better regulated and doesn't taper off as much. Sometimes it seems like the company just straight made up the numbers...
    Hello darkness my old friend,
    I've come to talk with you again...
    I liked neutral tints before they were cool.

There are definitely differences, but if you don't have them side by side, it may be hard to discern. Have a look at this page here. It does a very good job showing the differences between the different types of Cree LEDs.

https://www.fstoplights.com/leds-types-bins/
    Who needs to see the light at the end of the tunnel when you have friends on CPF?
    My flashlight videos: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...9TIYcGeuBXa5m0

Quote Originally Posted by badtziscool View Post
    There are definitely differences, but if you don't have them side by side, it may be hard to discern. Have a look at this page here. It does a very good job showing the differences between the different types of Cree LEDs.

https://www.fstoplights.com/leds-types-bins/
    That link is very useful for comparing their sizes. Also, it looks like there is one difference that stands out, which is the fact that the 2 wires going to the die are near the corners on the XPG2, while being a little closer together on the XML2.

Quote Originally Posted by Random Dan View Post
    The XP-G2 is smaller than the XM-L2. I think it's a difference of 3.5mm^2 vs 5mm^2 but I could be remembering that wrong.

I wouldn't put much stock in those stated runtimes. Sometimes differences will be because one light is better regulated and doesn't taper off as much. Sometimes it seems like the company just straight made up the numbers...
    Yeah, I don't think stated run times (or lumens) mean a whole lot either. I bought a light once (a Nebo Redline) that advertised 220 lumens using 3AAA batteries. It turned out to be only about 90 lumens. It has one of the earliest Cree LEDs. So now I'm trying to do my own research based on what LED is being used in a light that I find interesting. If it turns out that this Guidesman I've been eyeing has an XML2 in it, it might actually put out the 280 lumens it's advertising.
    Minimag with niteize LED (2), River Rock 2AAA (2), River Rock 2AA, Brinkmann 3AAA LED headlamp, ROV Roughneck 2D, Inova keychain LED, Performance Tool 3AAA.

Quote Originally Posted by LEDrock View Post
    That link is very useful for comparing their sizes. Also, it looks like there is one difference that stands out, which is the fact that the 2 wires going to the die are near the corners on the XPG2, while being a little closer together on the XML2.
    I've never paid attention to the spacing of the wires, but that looks to be the case. I don't think that aspect really makes any difference. The two main differences that's worth noting is the die size and footprint.
    Who needs to see the light at the end of the tunnel when you have friends on CPF?
    My flashlight videos: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...9TIYcGeuBXa5m0

The XPG2 has often been used in smaller lights to enable a better beam and longer throw. The smaller size of the die means that more of the light emitted is closer to the actual focal point of the reflector, so the reflector is able to do a better job of collimating the light into a tighter beam. To get a similar beam with the larger XML2 die requires a reflector larger in both diameter and depth.
    Remember, Two is One, and One is None!.

Quote Originally Posted by Timothybil View Post
    The XPG2 has often been used in smaller lights to enable a better beam and longer throw. The smaller size of the die means that more of the light emitted is closer to the actual focal point of the reflector, so the reflector is able to do a better job of collimating the light into a tighter beam. To get a similar beam with the larger XML2 die requires a reflector larger in both diameter and depth.
    In the case of the flashlight in question, the "reflector" is just a white piece of plastic. There is a lens though. Not sure if that indicates much. I used to think that a flashlight with a lens meant it was a thrower, but I have one that works better as a floody light.

Arrow Re: What's the difference in appearance between Xpg2 and Xml2?

LED Names.

LED Size Comparison.

Tint Reference Charts.

LED Chip Dimensions.

Last edited by CRX_; 07-17-2018 at 07:55 AM.

AWESOME reference pic!

I think it needs to be a sticky!
    For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Live as children of light (Ephesians 5:8 NIV)

Quote Originally Posted by djans1397 View Post
    AWESOME reference pic!

I think it needs to be a sticky!
    Agreed! Or it could simply take the place of the already stickied thread https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...-Emitter-Index

It's one post that could easily replace the 5 pages that are there. Most of the pics that were there are now gone. Probably thanks in part to Photobucket changing their policies.