IGP7690.jpg

IGP7691.jpg

IGP7692.jpg

IGP7695.jpg

IGP7696.jpg

Nitecore TINI Product Page @ Nitecore

Nitecore TIP Product page @ Nitecore

Holly Smoke Batman !

For review I have the TIP and TINI keychain lights from Nightcore , and I just don't know how to say it but , Holly Smoke Batman ! So lets get straight to performance .
Performance :
Lets start with the TIP from Nitecore .
Low was about 2 Lumen in my lightbox , Factory say's 1 Lumen .
Medium was about 45 Lumen in my lightbox , Factory say's 35 Lumen .
High was about 173 Lumen in my lightbox , Factory say's 150 Lumen .
Turbo was about 405 Lumen in my lightbox , Factory say's 360 Lumen .

Moving onto the TINI from Nitecore .
Low was about 3 Lumen in my lightbox , Factory say's 1 Lumen .
Medium was about 61 Lumen in my lightbox , Factory say's 38 Lumen . ( We will get back to this )
High was about 240 Lumen in my lightbox , factory say's 145 Lumen . ( Wowsa )
Turbo was about 600 Lumen in my lightbox , factory say's 380 Lumen . ( Holly Smoke Batman )

Both the TIP and TINI were freshly charged for the lightbox test and Holly Smoke Batman ! , the TINI was just fully Ball's to the Wall . I just could not believe the results at all so I pulled out the Jetbeam TH15 as Ultra Low was 60 Lumen . So it's midnight and I turned my computer screen off as well the lights so it was pitch black . I turned on the Jet ( 60 Lumen ) and then the TINI and I could not tell the difference in light level between the two lights ( both pointed at the ceiling just above my head ). Ok so the TINI was putting out 60 Lumen on Medium .
The Jet TH15 does 464 Lumen on Medium . So repeating the darkened room test with the Jet doing 464 Lumen , the TINI on Turbo just blew the Jet away with the greatest of ease . ( I wont say it again ) . So I can only conclude that this particular TINI when freshly charged can do 600 Lumen . ( I wont say it )

EDC : ( Every Day Carry )
That's what these lights were designed for , EDC . You can attached the lights to a key ring or quite simply pop them into your jeans coin pocket . Honestly after about a minute you don't notice these lights at all , they literally vanish in your pocket . As well they are small enough to go on a keychain and be about as much bother as a small AAA light on your keychain , only thing is they really pump out light .
Recharging :
Both lights have internal batteries that are charged VIA Micro USB .
TIP - When charging the TIP emits a red light and when it is done the light turns green .

IGP7711.jpg

IGP7712.jpg

TINI - When charging the TINI flashes a blue light and when it is done the light turns solid .

IGP7714.jpg

UI : ( User Interface )
TIP - You have two buttons , one to turn the light on and off and the other to change light levels ( mode button ) . The mode button is also a short cut to turbo .
On and off - A quick press of the lower button turns the light on and off .
Modes - With the light on , a quick press of the top button changes light levels ( modes ) .
Turbo - There are two ways to use Turbo , with the light off and with the light on .
Light on - No matter the light level you are in , press and hold down the top button to activate Turbo ( this will be Momentary ) , Turbo will activate for as long as you hold down the button .
Light off - Pressing the top button with the light off ( push the button down and hold ) , will short cut you to Turbo as well maintain Turbo when releasing the button . If you press the on off button the light will turn off , but if you quickly press the mode button ( top ) the light will revert to Low .
Yes the TIP has mode memory , but you need to run that light level for a few seconds for the light to store it in the memory .
Short Cut to Low - If you press and hold the on off button , the light will start in low .
30 second timer - TIP runs for 30 seconds then turns off . Every time you change light levels you re-set the timer .

TINI - Once again there are two buttons . The top button changes modes ( light levels ) and the lower button is the on off button .
On and off - With the TINI you need to hold down the on off button until the light turns on . To turn the light off only requires a quick press .
Modes - To change modes only requires a quick press of the top button .
Turbo - There are two ways to use Turbo , with the light on and with the light off .
Light on - What ever mode ( light level ) you are in , press and hold the mode button down for Temporary Turbo .
Light off - Press and hold down the mode button , this will give you Turbo for as long as you hold down the button .
30 second timer - TINI runs for 30 seconds then turns off . Every time you change light levels you re-set the timer .

Using the TIP :
The tip comes with a plastic cover that slides forward or back depending on your preference to protect the buttons against accidental activation . I think this is a great idea if your looking to EDC in your pocket or on a keychain . The buttons are large enough to be easily distinguishable from one and other making the TIP some what easy to use in the dark . ( Rip the the cover off and you can feel the buttons )
It's winter her in Oz , and while it's not freezing cold it does get into single digits when the sun goes down making for cold hands . I had no issue using the TIP while walking at night , even with cold hands . Though the tip was never meant to be a walking light it certainly could serve as such if needed .

Using the TINI :
Honestly , using he TINI was not nearly as intuitive as the TIP when in a cold dark place . The buttons on the TINI simply meld into one when your finger are cold and your not really sure which button you are pressing . It did get a little annoying after a while because I was pressing the button I did not want to press just too often .

Neither the TINI or the TIP are good choices if you need to wear gloves and with the cold weather we are having I am finding that I need to wear gloves . I would suggest a much larger flashlight if you need to wear gloves , in fact the Concept 1 is still very much my favorite walking light as it's so easy to use even with gloves .

Conclusion :
I like both lights , the TINI is just balls to the wall crazy putting out 600 Lumen on Turbo . But the light I would gravitate to for EDC would be the TIP as it's far more sensible , some what larger with bigger buttons that are easy to feel and use . As well the TIP has the plastic button cover to protect against accidental activation . Though I could see the TINI going in the car for an emergency light . Both lights are easy to recharge VIA USB . I just can't get over how crazy the TINI is , for such a small light to pump so hard ? I would strongly suggest to go easy on the Turbo with both lights as the batteries are not very large and I can only imagine how hard the battery is working on the TINI . Nitecore has created some tiny monsters with the TIP and TINI , with the TINI just being completely nuts , foaming at the mouth mad with just massive output for such a tiny light . ( I might sound a little impressed )
I think these lights are just too unique for me to give them a score . They are practical yet unpractical , impossible yet very possible and yet very impressive in almost a scary sort of way ( TINI ) . For EDC I would pick the TIP , but if all the TINI are as crazy as the one I got . Well , if your a flashaholic !

Above video is a ceiling bounce test to see which light - Lights up a small room the best . Jetbeam PA40 468 Lumens VS the TINI

Last edited:

andygold

Newly Enlightened
The 30 second timer you mention for both lights is DEMO Mode. There is also a DAILY Mode. If you press and hold both buttons from either off or on (wait for a flash or two) you will alternate between Demo and Daily modes. One flash is Demo Mode, two flashes is Daily Mode. In Daily Mode, the light will not shut off by itself.

Also, when in Demo Mode, after 30 seconds when the light shuts off, if you turn it back on within 3 seconds, it will temporarily enter into Daily Mode.