Fenix Outfitters        
Page 13 of 45 FirstFirst ... 36789101112131415161718192023 ... LastLast

Thread: HDS Systems EDC #21

Default Re: HDS Systems EDC #21

Happy to oblige. The 4500K is markedly cooler and rosier than it's 4000K sibling. Both are 219b, of course. Overall, the 4500K appears brighter and holds it's own next to the 5700K, although the latter takes on a funky green algae color when you cross the beams. Not recommended. I swapped out bezels and am now running a silver bezel on the 4500K, so I might have gained five or six lumens.
    “May it be a light to you in dark places, when all other lights go out.”
    J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

I also ordered a spare clicky tail cap from an HDS dealer. This one came with the plastic white disc on the inner surface of the button. Is there any consensus on what that's for? None of the ones I received directly from HDS have the white disc.

Much more positive action, as it stops the switch digging into the rubber.
    P

If there were a such thing as flashlight Nirvana, I've found it. There's no perfect flashlight, just as there's no perfect chair, automobile, or hat. Still, the HDS executive R9080 4500K with the white disc under the flush button and the accidental black bezel is the closest thing to perfection that can reasonably be expected. I reinstalled the black bezel. This is my first flashlight purchase that has satiated my need for edc gear, whereas most other edc type gear is petrol on the fire. It could be a long while before I buy another light.

What can top this? Red metal? Maybe.
    Last edited by Modernflame; 08-16-2018 at 09:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Modernflame View Post
    This is my first flashlight purchase that has satiated my need for edc gear, whereas most other edc type gear is petrol on the fire. It could be a long while before I buy another light.
    I thought the same thing when I got my first HDS, and it did for a while. Then you know what I wanted? Another HDS. Then another, and another. Sometimes when one fire is quenched, another takes it place

Congrats on your new light, enjoy it.

If there were a such thing as flashlight Nirvana, I've found it.
    :-) so happy for you, I hope the honeymoon lasts forever
    your 2700 and 4500 sound like a nice melange...

can you help confirm the factory preset modes on your 4500, are they levels 8-16-20-24, like the exec250, or different?
    and, do you have a favorite Customized preset group?

note re 140 model, Lithium reports it is set to level 20, not 19,
    Quote Originally Posted by Lithium466 View Post
    my 140 executive came from factory with B as level 16, C level 20, A 24 and D...I'm not sure and don't want to do a factory reset right now!)
    summary of Factory presets:
    Last edited by jon_slider; 08-18-2018 at 09:36 PM.

Oh no.....! This can only mean one thing mr flame, you do actually need a second one. Back up for potential theft or loosing. When something hits the spot perfect , 1 of .......is simply not enough

Default HDS Systems EDC #21

Quote Originally Posted by ven View Post
    Oh no.....! This can only mean one thing mr flame, you do actually need a second one. Back up for potential theft or loosing. When something hits the spot perfect , 1 of .......is simply not enough

Lol

If there were a such thing as flashlight Nirvana, I've found it. There's no perfect flashlight, just as there's no perfect chair, automobile, or hat. Still, the HDS executive R9080 4500K with the white disc under the flush button and the accidental black bezel is the closest thing to perfection that can reasonably be expected. I reinstalled the black bezel. This is my first flashlight purchase that has satiated my need for edc gear, whereas most other edc type gear is petrol on the fire. It could be a long while before I buy another light.

Well, there is an 83% chance you will be getting another HDS...
    Thor's Hammer Custom Leather
    I'm old, cranky, and don't like private messages. Please don't private message me as that is reserved for moderators giving me warnings that I rightly deserve. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by jon_slider View Post
    can you help confirm the factory preset modes on your 4500, are they levels 8-16-20-24, like the exec250, or different?
    and, do you have a favorite Customized preset group?
    Yes, the factory settings are 8, 16, 20, 24. I like burst mode because this grants access to level 23 as well.

In my 4000K, I run levels 6, 14, 20, 24.

Not sure if this will be permanent, but in the 4500K, I've chosen 8, 16, 21, and 24.

Quote Originally Posted by ven View Post
    You know what's funny, Ven? Lying awake last night and toying around with it, I hit upon this very same thought...

I hadn't realized there was so much variation in the N219b family. My first Nichias were from brand M and the tint is decidedly purple, like someone shot Barney and smeared his guts on the world. I was not impressed. Next was the 4000K from HDS. This one is straight up yellow, like don't-eat-the-yellow-snow yellow. This 4500K is rosy, like the pretty pictures on the internet. It's a color that does occur in nature sometimes near dawn or dusk when the conditions are right.

You know what's funny, Ven? Lying awake last night and toying around with it, I hit upon this very same thought...
    Yep, being a flashaholic plays a strong part.

I have many nichia's in many flavours, generally from 4000k up to 5700k(majority 4-5k which is my preference). I have noticed for example, the 219b 9080 is not as rosy(if at all ) in a triple, the 219c 4k is quite yellow in a triple, yet reflector nothing like or as much yellow(still there but not as obvious). So reflectors, optics can all play a part on altering the tint as well as maybe batches of. The 219b 4500k is a very nice all rounder for me, by that, i can use day or night time without feeling too cold or too warm.

Enjoy your very special light, HDS as with a handful of other lights are not just a tool imo, they are part of an occasion when used. Feels special in hand, something more than just a flashlight.

If there were a such thing as flashlight Nirvana, I've found it. There's no perfect flashlight, just as there's no perfect chair, automobile, or hat. Still, the HDS executive R9080 4500K with the white disc under the flush button and the accidental black bezel is the closest thing to perfection that can reasonably be expected.
    I agree 100%. Henry has made an awesome edc light that is exceptionally high quality by every measure with the ability for the user to customize the lumen levels and features. Add to that probably the best high CRI LED emitters on the market today - 219b 4500K R9080 and 219b 4000K R9050 - and you have an outstanding light. Nothing that I have used in the last five years even comes close.

(That probably explains why I also have six Thors Hammer Custom Leather holsters to carry my HDS lights ;-)).
    Last edited by RCS1300; 08-17-2018 at 06:56 AM.

...the HDS executive R9080 4500K with the white disc under the flush button and the accidental black bezel is the closest thing to perfection that can reasonably be expected.

A red version, a blue version, and a silver version of aluminum. If that is not too difficult to pull off and Henry thinks it will work out okay.

(Edit add: I seem to remember that this idea was proposed years ago and Henry vetoed it. He probably had a very good reason).
    Last edited by RCS1300; 08-17-2018 at 07:52 AM.

What size is the smaller, wispy little O-ring inside the clicky tail cap? The other three (head, waist, and tail) appear to be the same size. From the manual: 1.5mm x 20.5mm, 70 durometer Nitrile (Buna-N). Didn't find any specs on the small one.

An interesting tidbit: The little O-ring in the tail cap is the same size as the small O-ring that comes with a Malkoff VME head. Still not sure what size that is but it is nice to have back ups.

Where is this O ring?
    I can't find one in either of my clickies.
    P

I believe that is the gap-filling o-ring if you don't use a clip on your clicky.
    "Do yourself a favor, pick up an HDS Rotary and EDC it for a week.. -You can thank me later."

Quote Originally Posted by peter yetman View Post
    Where is this O ring?
    I can't find one in either of my clickies.
    P
    It fills the pocket clip groove. I believe they are the same size as the lens o rings. I once asked Henry for an external o ring and two lens o-rings when I purchased a reflector and I received 3 o-rings that looked the same.

Oh, that one. thanks you, thought I was missing something.
    Let's face it, that's normal for me.
    P

Quote Originally Posted by RCS1300 View Post
    A red version, a blue version, and a silver version of aluminum. If that is not too difficult to pull off and Henry thinks it will work out okay.

(Edit add: I seem to remember that this idea was proposed years ago and Henry vetoed it. He probably had a very good reason).
    If I remember correctly Hogo had the last red one in his web store for the longest time, not sure about the how the blue would sell.
    Seems sticking to just black and maybe mismatched natural HA would make the best sense business-wise. Plain aluminum marrs/corrodes too easily.
    -And of course the occasional boutique metals are always cool...

JMHO - Ron
    "Do yourself a favor, pick up an HDS Rotary and EDC it for a week.. -You can thank me later."

Quote Originally Posted by indigon View Post
    I believe that is the gap-filling o-ring if you don't use a clip on your clicky.
    Yes, that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Slumber Pass View Post
    It fills the pocket clip groove. I believe they are the same size as the lens o rings. I once asked Henry for an external o ring and two lens o-rings when I purchased a reflector and I received 3 o-rings that looked the same.
    Interesting. I still have not separated a lens/reflector assembly.

Don't do it unless you have to, keep it a dust free zone.
    P

Your're not a true HDS junkie until you muck up a few reflectors/lenses, I say go for it!

Still, the HDS executive R9080 4500K with the white disc under the flush button and the accidental black bezel is the closest thing to perfection that can reasonably be expected.
    Have to agree. Really, really pleased with mine.

The emitter in my F89HG is mounted to a white board. In my High Noon, it's mounted to a green board. Any functional difference between the two?

I also noticed a slight difference in weight between my older 2.15 exec clicky (3.76 oz) vs the new 2.18 models (3.5 oz). Anyone else noticing the weight savings?

Mine is finally back from Hawaii! I suspect I’ll get it tomorrow, although Usps hasn’t said so yet. Ohhh how I hate the Usps this week.

Quote Originally Posted by Tejasandre View Post
    Mine is finally back from Hawaii! I suspect I’ll get it tomorrow, although Usps hasn’t said so yet. Ohhh how I hate the Usps this week.
    Very stressful. I feel your pain.

Enlightened

My first HDS light arrived last night on schedule. Rotary with the 219C 3 o’clock high.

My cats are probably a bit confused why I spent so much time walking around the house with the lights off..

To say I’m happy with it doesn’t even start to cover it, now I get it .

Quote Originally Posted by SleepyInTheSun View Post
    My first HDS light arrived last night on schedule. Rotary with the 219C 3 o’clock high.
    Congrats on the purchase! My father has one just like that and it is a gem!

I’ve got one clicky on the way. Possibly 2 for woods use. And I’m thinking of a rotary for EDC. : ) Cant wait to get these in and see what the hoopla is all about
    hunter, fisherman, flashlight enthusiast

Page 13 of 45 FirstFirst ... 36789101112131415161718192023 ... LastLast