RMSK, Inc.        

Thread: Talking about Ford's 9008 aka H13

Default Talking about Ford's 9008 aka H13

So I've been running these Philips X-treme Vision 9008/H13 bulbs in my F150 for something like 5 years now and have no compliants. They work(worked) great and haven't burnt out yet. In fact I have the same ones in my Mustang as well (in the correct size). But the truck sees a decent amount of use and, especially in winter, a lot of headlight time. Can't be sure its the bulbs fault but I feel like the headlights are starting to get dimmer on me. Figured with the hours on these it wouldn't hurt to replace and I can just keep these as spares. Question is, are there any superior options in 9008/H13 these days? I've toyed with the idea of HID retro fit but I am unwilling to put the time and money in for a proper job since the factory lights really have been fine for me.

Default Re: Talking about Ford's 9008 aka H13

No, these are still the best H13 available. If you've gotten five years (and counting) out of a set of them, either you don't use your headlamps much or you've probably got low voltage to the bulbs.

Good thing you're not doing an "HID retrofit", because there is no such thing as doing a "proper job" of it, if you mean either putting an HID bulb where a halogen bulb belongs (covered here) or hacking the headlamp open, swapping in different components, etc (covered here). The only legitimate way to do an HID retrofit is if there are original-equipment HID headlamps for your particular make and model of vehicle (or OE-quality aftermarket units made by a legitimate maker, but that's very rare). That goes for "LED retrofits", too.

Depending on what year your F150 is, there might be OE HID headlamps you could swap in...or there might not.

Quote Originally Posted by Buck91 View Post
    So I've been running these Philips X-treme Vision 9008/H13 bulbs in my F150 for something like 5 years now and have no compliants. They work(worked) great and haven't burnt out yet. But the truck sees a decent amount of use and, especially in winter, a lot of headlight time. Can't be sure its the bulbs fault but I feel like the headlights are starting to get dimmer on me.
    I'm with -Virgil- on you having low voltage to the bulbs. Properly fed, the X-Treme Vision bulbs will burn out before their filaments degrade to the point that output is noticeably diminished, and the envelopes themselves won't blacken very much. Take a close look at a bulb-- if the envelope is blackening, that's definitely a low-voltage issue (which will further bear itself out by doing a voltage test, described here). Take care to do the voltage test as described at that link-- just running the voltmeter across the terminals of the bulb socket won't tell you much at all.

And, it goes without saying that I'm with -Virgil- on the "HID kit" thing. Depending on the year of your F150, there might be a factory HID lamp setup.

04-25-2011, 09:53 PM
    One of the cars I'm looking at picking up is coming with H13 (or 9008) headlamp bulbs andd was wondering if there is any talk of these around here? A quick search didn't reveal anything terribly useful or interesting... Although it seems the Philips Xtreme Power is available in this spec, and I have been VERY impressed with them in 9007 sizing.
    Assuming you meant the F150 back when you posted that, if it was a 12th-gen F150 (2009-2014) then the 2013 and 2014 had an HID option. It MIGHT be possible that the '13/'14 headlamps will swap in to the earlier model years of that generation.

Low bulb voltage is a definite possiblity, truck is in great shape with minimal rust but it is a 2011 so some connections could be getting old and the factory wiring is never known to be ideal. I haven't had a chance to check voltage drop yet but I STRONGLY remember looking to wire up a relay harness before and decided to hold off because it looked like the truck had headlight relays from the factory... Well, going off these Chilton schematics it appears I was wrong.

[I] decided to hold off because it looked like the truck had headlight relays from the factory... Well, going off these Chilton schematics it appears I was wrong.
    The diagrams may be an oversimplification and not explicitly state that there are relays. Many (most? Pretty much ALL?) modern* cars have a relayed headlamp circuit, but those relays are somewhat distant from the headlamps and still have fairly small gauge wire from them to the headlamps. You should hear them when you turn the headlamps on and the engine is off and it's quiet around you. It introduces a slight delay from switch on to lamp on to 'stack' relays (let the original relay serve to trigger your add-on relay) but still solves the voltage problem. You could go wild and try to overhaul that lighting system such that the combination switch controls your new relay, but the way things interlock with each other just "stacking" relays may be better.

*Pretty sure my '65 Dart didn't have relays, but my '76 Corolla did. For cars, "modern" is a mutable word indeed.
    Last edited by Alaric Darconville; 08-02-2018 at 08:35 AM.

Well I should have checked for voltage loss today, but after visualizing the bulbs I don't think its necessary. The Philips X-Treme Vision that I installed in July 2018 look almost new still. Glass is definitely crystal clear and just a hint of not-brand-newness on the filaments. Thats four years and 50k miles of use. I can't give an exact but my best guess is somewhere around 50% of those miles were with the lights on. And get this... the parking lights are on relays but the headlamps are not! Any idea why it was done that way?

In any case, just received some 9008 ceramic socket extensions which I plan to use with existing 16ga wire spools to build up a left/right redundant relay harness. When I did my Mustang I took the time to solder up each connection, but I'm not sure how necessary that is. Any thoughts on solder vs. butt crimp connections?

Take a look at article 1 article 2 article 3 about crimp versus solder for automotive applications.

Any thoughts on solder vs. butt crimp connections?
    I'll take a mechanical connection over a solder connection in 'most every circumstance, given the vibration in an automotive environment.
    Probably some of the best examples of those are from Posi-Products.

Moderator Edit
    GoldenInferrera,

Please be sure to read this Sticky and the CPF Rules & FAQs.

Thank you,

Alaric D
    Last edited by Alaric Darconville; 08-07-2018 at 09:51 AM.

Well I should have checked for voltage loss today, but after visualizing the bulbs I don't think its necessary.
    "But you don't LOOK sick!"

Like medical tests, instrumented tests are still a good idea and can tell you much more about what's happening. Unlike medical tests, doing the voltage test is fairly inexpensive. If you don't have $15.00 or $20.00 VOM, you might as well pick one up because they're useful for so many things, not just checking your headlamp circuit.