Pelican 1920 Gen 3 2xAAA: didn't immediately burn out with one 10440

jlomein

Enlightened
Just curious if anyone else is happy with this light. I picked up a new Gen 3 Pelican 1920 yesterday to replace my 2014 Inova XP. Although a great light, the XP always had a firm momentary tailcap button requiring a lot of thumb pressure. The 1920's clickie tailcap is easy to use, and fast to switch from high to low.

I loaded up the 1920 with one 10440 and a dummy AAA, and it ran for 30 seconds without burning out. Side by side compared to other lights, the 1920 seems to have brighter spill and a slightly brighter hotspot when run with the 10440 vs 2x NiMH.

Advertised specs on the Gen 3 1920 are 224lumen high for 2h15m, 21lumen low for 8h45m. High has beam distance of 81m, 1640cd. It's definitely brighter and with more throw than the 2014 XP. I like that it's one of the few multi mode pen lights that goes to high first, low second, with no memory. Pocket clip is really stiff and grippy against thin summer shorts, vs the XP which has a looser clip that has bent out of shape for me previously.

Last edited:

busseguy

Enlightened
I have one. I carry it everyday in a belt pouch next to my multitool.

I love it except for when it's on low it flickers. I tried cleaning it but that did nothing.

Last edited:

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
on low it flickers

you can see flicker on low in this video:
https://youtu.be/lrnIBfptSHw?t=3m14s

and also in this video:
https://youtu.be/9LGul39Mulw?t=47s

if that is what you are seeing, it is normal, for this light, due to the type of circuit it uses

update
So, I wrote to Pelican to ask if the 1920 uses PWM, and if so at what frequency.

This was the gist of their reply:

"We don't share this level of detailed information with our customers. You may see flicker when using 1920, but at very low voltages."

Last edited: