Charger advice...

malocchio

Newly Enlightened
I've been using a PILA charger for the last 7 years to charge my 18650 cells....I am in the market for a new charger with 26650 capability and a price under $75...any advice is appreciated !

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
That IS a steal.
Less of a steal and just over budget, but it depends where you get it, is the Xtar Dragon. I wanted something that I didn't have to mess about programming, that still analysed cells and charged them safely.
I've had mine (actually two) for about six months and I'm so pleased I bought them. The display is the clearest I've seen, also.
You need to check HKJ's site for all there is to know about most of the chargers on the market.
Here......
https://lygte-info.dk/info/roundCellChargerIndex UK.html
and here......
https://lygte-info.dk/info/indexBatteriesAndChargers UK.html

P

Keitho

Enlightened
I got it for its weight--might be worth checking out the charger/powerbank FOLOMOV A1 Magnetic USB Li-ion Battery Charger. It will charge any Li-ion cell at 1A (I got it for a long 21700 cell), and also work as a powerbank. Handy for travel, and less than $10 on skylumen and elsewhere.

+1 on the two chargers recommended above--I own and use both, they are good choices. I might also read HKJ's review of the Enova GYRFALCON ALL-88, an 8-bay charger under your budget. No 2A capability, but it will work with all battery chemistries, 26650's, and hold 8 cells at a time. More of a learning curve than the Opus and Xtar--no PhD required, but not a charger I'd give to my grandma.

Climb14er

Enlightened
I like the Opus BT-C3100. Basically a do-it-all charger.

You can charge two of your 26650 cells at 2A using the two outer slots. For 3-4 cells, it will max out a 1A. You can go all the way down to 200mA for small cells. With all the other functions, it's a steal for around $39.

Check out HKJ's review for the details: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?389732-Test-Review-of-Charger-Opus-BT-C3100-V2-1

Agree! I went from a long time Pila to the 3100 V2 and it's been so good a charger, the Pila, not once in the last few years has seen the daylight outside of the storage drawer it's been in.

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's another vote of confidence for the Opus BT-C3100. I never use my Nitecore D4 anymore ever since I got the Opus.

Boris74

Newly Enlightened
What about a Nitecore d4 charger?

Solid reliable charger. Not a sprinter, more of a long distance charger. It takes a while with 4 large capacity cells and isn't really fast with just two, but it's reliable and always works with no issues.

If you have the time and spare cells to last until they get a turn on the charger the D4 is fine. Features of a charger don't mean diddly squat when all you need is charged cells in electronics you're going to use. A remote or flashlight don't know or care if a charger has 17 different discharge and charge modes. All they know is they need charged cells, the D4 does that and is reliable and durable.

Gauss163

Flashlight Enthusiast
[Nitecore D4 is a] Solid reliable charger [...]

Apparently not always reliable. Iirc there are many reports of units that have burned or melted down, e.g. a quick search located this and this youtube video, where both users had the 3rd slot burnout. It's not clear if these are genuine or fake units. The C3100 does not have such issues, i.e. no fakes, and I don't recall seeing any reports of burnouts or other safety issues.

Boris74

Newly Enlightened
Apparently not always reliable. Iirc there are many reports of units that have burned or melted down, e.g. a quick search located this and this youtube video, where both users had the 3rd slot burnout. It's not clear if these are genuine or fake units. The C3100 does not have such issues, i.e. no fakes, and I don't recall seeing any reports of burnouts or other safety issues.

Many reports of fakes burning up. I ordered mine straight from Nitecore. The real ones are solid. Not worth getting a fake at a great price when the real one is well worth the price.

malocchio

Newly Enlightened
CHARGER: Help me decide..

I need a reliable , high quality charger with a good safety record...Something made with quality parts and construction.... I've boiled it down to two I really like , the Miboxer C4-12 and the Gyrfalcon all44 .....I will have it on auto charge 95% of the time , and will be charging mostly protected 26650's and 18650's....Any advice is appreciated !

MAD777

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: CHARGER: Help me decide..

I have the Gyrfalcon all88 and it's my favorite charger by far. I own 4 other popular chargers, including the MiBoxer C4.

malocchio

Newly Enlightened
Sorry , I should have merged the posts myself , I don't have much experience with the forum , my apologies...From everything I've been reading, including the great comments and advice here , I have decided to choose between the Gyrfalcon all44 and the Miboxer C4-12...If anyone prefers one over the other I would like to know the reasons...Thanks to all you guys for helping out a rookie with your great tips...

ven

Flashaholic
Bang for buck , the opus bt c3100 v2.2 or newer is a winner. Mine i love, been issue free other than a noisy fan which was a 5 minute swap(yep i took my time). For $30 its spot on and can recommend it 100%.

As i get a little bored and try and keep things fresh, the opus is a back up now to the c4-12. This charger has been excellent for the few months of continuous use. I like it as i can charge 3a on all 4 bays if needed. I can manually over ride if needed to. The rate vary from 0.1 up to 3a(more than what is showed on the info as it picks other charge currents like 2.75a etc.). I have tested it with different cells, different IR etc and it always seems to pick a good rate without having to over ride and manually select a rate(if makes sense).
YmCfPU1l.jpg

Dragon also is a good option, one reason why i did not go for it was the lowest rate of 0.5a did not suit my smaller cells . The mc3000 is the daddy, but reports of build issues have kind of put me off that..............Just too add, none are perfect, all have an issue or reported issue from buyers over the year/s........................as with pretty much anything .

klrman

Newly Enlightened
The mc3000 is the daddy, but reports of build issues have kind of put me off that..............Just too add, none are perfect, all have an issue or reported issue from buyers over the year/s........................as with pretty much anything .

Anything in particular about the mc3000 that stands out as a problem? The one thing with mine is the sticky sliders.

ven

Flashaholic
Anything in particular about the mc3000 that stands out as a problem? The one thing with mine is the sticky sliders.

Off the top of my head which i remember reading a few issues about, yes sliders, plastic breaking(build quality on cheap side). Thats what put me off with around a $90 price tag. Other than that, i like the options and flexibility. In truth i would not use 1/2 of it..............heck 3/4 of the options. 99% of the time i just want to charge cells, chuck in and charge. So it would be wasted on me anyway.

klrman

Newly Enlightened
Off the top of my head which i remember reading a few issues about, yes sliders, plastic breaking(build quality on cheap side). Thats what put me off with around a $90 price tag. Other than that, i like the options and flexibility. In truth i would not use 1/2 of it..............heck 3/4 of the options. 99% of the time i just want to charge cells, chuck in and charge. So it would be wasted on me anyway.

I wonder if my one is better. It is the latest version with 2 fans and looks and feels very rugged. I agree, most options I don't use. Got it mainly to charge my cells to my own voltage specs and really like it for that. Also like discharging cells to storage voltage in pairs for my in series batteries where I want to keep things the same and equal as possible.

Latest posts