Malkoff Headband for MD2

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I ordered that headband gizmo from Malkoff, the one that converts your MD2 light into a headlamp.

I shall evaluate it and see how it works.

As a footnote, I never liked dedidcated headlamps. They are less durable than corresponding non-headlamp lights, and not convenient to carry. They are a single purpose device. I really hope this headband converts an MD2 with Malkoff M61T into a viable headlamp and then back. It should come really handy for auto repair, etc.

dealgrabber2002

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Angle headlamps are pretty good. Remove it from handband and you have a light. Tail stand and compact. Some even have clip if you want to clip it on your shirt or bream of the hat.

I wouldn't put a Surefire G2 or something of that size on my head.

I just checked out the headband. Looks nice but seems like not much angle adjustment.

I had a few of the Nite Ize. They are okay. Malkoff seems better because it has a strap over the head.

Last edited:

Random Dan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah I thought that holder was designed for MDC. MD2 would be way too heavy.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
A MD2 with Primary Lithiums and a Z41 tailcap is one of the lightest and compact MD-series you can get. An MD1 or MD1.5 is very marginally lighter and smaller. I am willing to deal with a few extra grams for the sake of convenience.

An 18650 is heavier than primaries but even then it's not so bad.

Now MD3 is when it gets heavy.

Plus you can always replace the potted/heatsinked Malkoff module with a cheap, light one to cut down on weight. I have one of these two if the heavy Malkoff becomes an issue, but I don't think it will.

Blues

Enlightened
Frankly, I'm somewhat disappointed that Malkoff doesn't make a dedicated headlamp as opposed to the less than ideal method involved with the system the OP is about to test.

That said, in the absence of a Malkoff truly created for the purpose, I must admit that I've been completely satisfied with the Nitecore HC30 (neutral) for all my hands free, after dark forays both in terms of its utility and durability.

Obviously, mileage will vary based upon needs and willingness to compromise.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is an interesting point. I would want nothing less than Surefire 6P quality or Malkoff MD2 type quality in a headlamp. No cheap plastic.
18650 or primaries. The tailcap that screws on.
I've had several headlamps that just disintegrated over the last 10 years. Very poor build quality and that was one of the best HL available on the forum at the time. Princeton Tech.

I wouldn't mind a really nice headband that used MD2, I will see if this thing is what I want or not.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Like Dan said, the Malkoff headlamp holder was designed for the MDC line, not the MD2. I'm curious if it can be stretched to fit and what effect that will have on the long term durability of the nylon / elastic.

Blues

Enlightened
Like Dan said, the Malkoff headlamp holder was designed for the MDC line, not the MD2. I'm curious if it can be stretched to fit and what effect that will have on the long term durability of the nylon / elastic.

If it fits, it may illuminate his shoes very well. :p

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
I say take some duct tape and wrap your MD2 or HD right around your head, of course you'll need to be wearing a ball cap and a shaven head will help ease the pain pulling the tape off!

Blues

Enlightened
I say take some duct tape and wrap your MD2 or HD right around your head, of course you'll need to be wearing a ball cap and a shaven head will help ease the pain pulling the tape off!

Might help to tweeze the eyebrows too if it slips down from the weight some.

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love my Malkoffs as much as the next guy, but I prefer a dedicated Zebralight headlamp for frequent automotive work. They've proven extremely durable for me.

Malkoff and Zebralight cover all the bases...

Are you there etc?

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
I just ran for hours wearing a true dedicated headlamp. Comfort is key with a headlamp. I can't really see that mass of a MD2 working out for active use. I have a Malkoff flashlight inside the running pack should the headlamp fail.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I completely forgot - sorry - and thanks for the PM.
I haven't used it once.

To make a long story short, I was not thrilled with it and a bit underwhlemed, probably the first Malkoff product I can say that about, which doesn't even fall into the category of high-tech at all, more like clothing I suppose.

The first big apparent problem, the loop where you stick in the light, some MD series, is velcroed to the headband itself. My MD2 lights are heavy. M61** series modules are heavy, the Li-ion batteries are heavy, the bodies/bezels/taicaps are metal. I can see where if you bend at the right angle or move suddenly, or if you are under the car, and snag the light upon something, the velcro will disengage and your MD series device will fly to the floor. I was kinda shocked to see that flaw in the design, and I don't know why you would need the velcro at all, to remove/reinstall the light onto the headband. I have many lights and don't have a problem dedicating a full time light to this headband.

This problem can be remedied by sewing the piece that is velcro'ed to the headband. I should not have to do that, given what it costs, make some mods to it. I need to locate my needle and the thread - they are laying around somewhere.

But there is a bigger problem that I don't see a remediation for. The headband is not adjustable, incredibly. There is no way to adjust either the circumference either the horizontal band or the vertical one. Therefore, one size fits none. That is really bizarre and does not accommodate various situations. For example in the winter you may wear it over a hat, in the summer, without a hat. The size it came in, is a bit loose for me. I will try it over a hat and maybe end up with a better fit. So I was really surprised to discover this lack of thought into the design. That and the Velcro'ed piece just doesnt make any sense.

I will toss it in the car and probably load it with Surefire G2x Pro, which is the lightest light I have, I think. And load it with primaries which are even lighter. I will also try a 2xAAA cheapo light I have, it's not compact and may end up a perfect fit, so if I drop the thing, no concern about damage.

In short, the headband needs to be completely redesigned. Nice try and high quality but full of bugs. I am not putting any of my expensive MDxx / 6P lights into that contraption for sure.