for the theater, for the director

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
The incan A2 with Red LEDs and the F06-A blue filter hits every sweet spot for inside and outside the theater, is nearly ideal. What is not ideal is that it is large, and the director is not a flashaholic, would be lost with all the other neat things we love about the light, incan maintenance, socket and lamps, primary/secondary cell choices, etc.

The Eagtac D25LC2color is an attractive option, but not better in this case, looses the interface, keeps the "weird" cells, idk if the driver is CC, though nicer price.

Ok :( forget finding the A2 interface anywhere but in a Lunisol, which is tough to beat but tough to get. Can't afford that or the new Aviator, and nice things walk away from a theater.

What anyone hidden in blacks would want to carry or recommend, floody red for front of house, middle ground floody and throwy blue for backstage, a tolerable (i.e. with a constant current driver) very dim and very bright white for everything else, is there a multi-spectrum single cell AA LED flashlight with a constant current driver and a friendly "on the spot" interface?

Just finding a decent (i.e. with a legit constant current driver) white and red LED AA flashlight can meet the goal, because white light blue-filters well.

If this unicorn exists between $30-$130, please recommend, otherwise, custom light it will be... so driver recommendations appreciated.

edit: The original Pelican 2370 is almost perfect... PWM on low modes is hated. I only see 2370B tactical strobe w/green now for sale. If any know if the original blue 2370 is on clearance anywhere, tia.

edit2: the Fenix TK25 R&B is hard to beat, even with the pointless crenellations and annoying strobe modes, $90

If Bushnell makes a TRKR with actual blue instead of UV for "blood tracking" (like most other blood tracker lights) that would also be acceptable, but UV won't work.

Last edited:

gsr

Enlightened
I did theater tech back when a Mini Mag with a red filter was the best thing obtainable, so I know the struggle is real. Check out the First Light USA Torq. It runs on two AA, side by side, so its length is about the same as a single AA. It has red, green, and blue LEDs, in addition to the white primary LED. You also get three levels of brightness with each color. Brownells.com has the best price I've seen on it, which is about $99. Brownell's also has the Surefire A2 LED with red secondary on clearance for $99.99. There is a code in a banner on the home page that will get you free shipping.

adnj

Enlightened
If you only wanted red and white, I would say Nitecore EC21. You can use primaries or rechageables and it has a two button interface that takes you direct to red, moon and turbo modes.

You can look at the Nitecore SRT7 and SRT9. Both work with a selector ring, have red, blue, green, and UV.

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you only wanted red and white, I would say Nitecore EC21. You can use primaries or rechageables and it has a two button interface that takes you direct to red, moon and turbo modes.

You can look at the Nitecore SRT7 and SRT9. Both work with a selector ring, have red, blue, green, and UV.

Thanks, I knew there was another RGB light out there by a major manufacturer, but could not remember which manufacturer. Those are quality lights.

The SRT7, even the SRT5 would be fine for me, but for the director, batteries are "weird" and expensive. The SRT3 would be perfect for the director, because it accepts AA with AA extender, except that SRT3 has only one weak R/B emitter -- if it had 3 like SRT5 or SRT7, those colors might be bright enough for anything more than map (or script) reading. Need a very bright floody blue. Hard to find any RBW light with a bright enough blue or red.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
The SRT7, even the SRT5 would be fine for me, but for the director, batteries are "weird" and expensive. The SRT3 would be perfect for the director, because it accepts AA with AA extender, except that SRT3 has only one weak R/B emitter -- if it had 3 like SRT5 or SRT7, those colors might be bright enough for anything more than map (or script) reading. Need a very bright floody blue. Hard to find any RBW light with a bright enough blue or red.
To 'fix' the battery issue, Nitecore has a series of lights that both allow the regular changing of batteries and the recharging in the light using a standard USB power unit. Nitecore also sells several sets of red, blue, and green filters in different sizes for the different bezel sizes. Switching between red and blue would be a little awkward, but the result should be a lot brighter than some of the ones you mentioned.

cp2315

Enlightened
If you think nitecore ec21 fits except with 18650, then you can get a nitecore EA11. It uses both AA and 14500.