LEP Light Emitting PLASMA ??? (Acebeam W10 Ultra Thrower)

lumen aeternum

Enlightened
What exactly is a light emitting plasma source?

>
Acebeam W10 LEP Flashlight
[h=3]Light Emitting Plasma[/h] Make way for the Acebeam W10 Flashlight, one of the most innovative, one-of-a-kind lights on the market today. Rather than using an LED like the majority of high-performance flashlights, this unique illuminator utilizes a light emitting plasma (LEP) to generate a highly concentrated 250 Lumen beam. The light emitted by the LEP is so focused that it allows the beam to reach a remarkable 1000 meters away, a throw distance unheard of in such a small light, with almost no beam spread. Because of its massive throw and extreme concentration, the W10 has been compared to a white laser (not a true laser), making it excellent for pointing out, highlighting or marking things from great distances.

lumen aeternum

Enlightened
Nothing about how it works. That thread refers to is as a phosphor, Acebeam is saying its a plasma. Big difference.
Price seems to have come down though.

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I understand right, although I haven't researched it much, it uses both plasma and phosphor.

You're already probably familiar with how an LED uses a solid state diode to emit blue or violet light, which then passes through the phosphor, being partially absorbed and causing the phosphor to glow in a range of other colors to produce white light.

The descriptions of LEP that I've found indicate it uses a tightly focused radio beam to create plasma in a very small bulb. The plasma also emits high energy photons - UV or perhaps in the visible range, and those likewise pass through a phosphor to glow in a range of colors to produce white light. It sounds like this method results in the light emitting area being very small, making it useful for compact throwers.

Just to confound things further, there are also lights that use a laser diode to shine a tight beam on a phosphor, again keeping the light emitting area very small. Audi and BMW are starting to utilize these because the small light emitting area allows them to better control the shape of the beam. I don't think this is the technology Acebeam is using, however, because who could resist talking about lasers in their advertising if that were the case?

jirik_cz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Imho the the LEP in this case means laser excited phosphor. That is the same technology, that is used by BMW. The laser is solid state, so no plasma there :)

SAMI188

Newly Enlightened
I have the W10, and it's amazing. Mind-bending to have 250 lumens go the distance with such power... I mean, obviously it's a laser but it's so much fun.

I have the yellow version, which i would've gotten the white. Probably pick up a white one soon as I'm curious to see which works best in dusty/hazy low viz situations... which cuts through the best.

wweiss

Enlightened
A narrow beam with no spread has little use in the world outside of specialty lighting - such as looking down a bore-hole or, standing on a Butte and trying to pick out a far off Coyote. Here in the NE forests, 2-300' with spill is all you need. LEP lights may be destined as shelf- kings...

lumen aeternum

Enlightened
In a forest, spill just bounces off the leaves & keeps you from seeing what you want to see far away.