New cells

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
HI fellas,
Going to buy 10 new cells. Been reading here and researching and i think this is a good deal on a good cell?? Maybe?
https://www.orbtronic.com/40a-18650-3120mah-button-top-battery-high-drain

States 'made in Japan' and at 30A continuous, could be the Sony VTC-5A, which is at the top for current draw...say for the Emisar D4 light.

If you need the button top, then fine. If you don't, you might just buy regular VTC-5As if you can find them and save a buck, or two.

Chris

cactus man

Newly Enlightened
I did not read that they are "protected cells" so just be aware

Cactus Man

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did not read that they are "protected cells" so just be aware

Cactus Man

They're not protected because their selling point is 30A continuous and no PCB that fits on an 18650 will do much more than 10A continuous.

You'd pay the ~$2 premium for these, because you need to have button tops for your particular light. That's about it.

Chris

plasma327

Newly Enlightened
Thanks fellas, I did catch the no protected and opted for the others that are protected. Surely 10A is enough for our lights.
My last purchase was 10 nitcore 3400 cells(protected) and they work well.... Just was looking for a better price point with the same
performance. These are a few bucks cheaper each.... Just trying to save a dollar but not at safety's expense..

KentuckyMike

Enlightened
States 'made in Japan' and at 30A continuous, could be the Sony VTC-5A, which is at the top for current draw...say for the Emisar D4 light.

If you need the button top, then fine. If you don't, you might just buy regular VTC-5As if you can find them and save a buck, or two.

These are advertised as "3,120mAh." Given that the VTC-5A are 2600mAh, it seems they are likely not the same. (Of course, it is not exactly unheard of for inflated capacities to be advertised...though I've never seen Orb do it, and certainly not that dramatically.)

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
These are advertised as "3,120mAh." Given that the VTC-5A are 2600mAh, it seems they are likely not the same. (Of course, it is not exactly unheard of for inflated capacities to be advertised...though I've never seen Orb do it, and certainly not that dramatically.)

Yes, that was a good catch. When I typed my post, subconsciously I thought something wasn't right and you're right!

It's the VTC-6, which HKJ lists as being 3120mAh in his testing of that cell.

https://lygte-info.dk/review/batteries2012/Sony US18650VTC6 3000mAh (Green) UK.html

The VTC-6 can handle 30A continuous, but not quite as deftly as the VTC-5A.

Thanks for the correction.

Chris