Where can I find Malkoff beamshots?

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, friend, I wish they were consolidated in one place. Right now the beam shots are scattered throughout the long, storied history of the Malkoff Junkie thread. The powers at CPF are reportedly contemplating the closure of that thread and replacing it with a number of more topic specific threads.

Which specific beam shots are you looking for? Maybe we can post something new or direct you to a previous post.

CREEXHP70LED

Enlightened
I second the OP. I guess off to the junkie thread I go. I went over all their lights on their site, and I guess there are 2 I am looking at.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will make it really simple for you. all 'regular' malkoff tints are great. so are neutral. they are a bit lower on lumens be aware. you cannot go wrong with either.

I have several neutrals and I prefer 'regular' FWIW, but can live with neutral just the same. No experience with 'warm'. I think you take a bigger hit on lumens.

I suppose writing about beamshots is like writing about music, you have to be there.

straightShot

Newly Enlightened
I second the OP. I guess off to the junkie thread I go. I went over all their lights on their site, and I guess there are 2 I am looking at.

I've looked online at the MDC 1AA in Neutral and Cool White and the Wildcat V6 in both, but I can't really compare the different tints.

KentuckyMike

Enlightened
Unfortunately, all of mine are W and N flavors. I think you'll find most of us probably favor one or the other. I could post N-shots, but without regular (CW) in my same place with the same camera and settings, same battery at the same voltage, etc., the N-shots are not be very helpful for comparison. (Plus, the PWM makes taking beamshots of L and M modes very difficult without messing with the settings, but messing with the settings makes the comparisons useless.) All of this is what makes beamshots difficult and time consuming, and why no one is volunteering their time to do it right (scientifically) on a comprehensive basis.

That said, a lot of good shots are buried in the thread—it just takes some work to sift them out. Trying to index them somewhere would be as time consuming as starting a new collection of them from scratch.

You might also check out http://flashlightguide.com. Many of the reviews there have carefully-controlled side-by-side shots of Malkoffs to other Malkoffs and other brands that can be very useful. Good luck!

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think more important than the tint is the actual profile.

Flood, spill, throw and such terms.

KentuckyMike

Enlightened
I think more important than the tint is the actual profile.

Flood, spill, throw and such terms.

For you that is true, which is fine. Tint generally doesn't affect beamshape in the same apples-to-apples light (aside from very slight difference in throw and total lumens), so for you a beamshot of any tint would be helpful. Obviously, though, the OP wants to compare the tints, which is harder to accurately accomplish than beamshapes.

NH Lumens

Enlightened
HD 18650 N

malkoff-2.jpg

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've looked online at the MDC 1AA in Neutral and Cool White and the Wildcat V6 in both, but I can't really compare the different tints.

I hate to complicate things, but an additional factor is CRI. The wildcat in neutral is a true high CRI light. Quite a lovely affair, in my opinion. Likewise, the MDC 1AA is available in high CRI from illumination supply with a high CRI Nichia 219B. I'm not sure how much the typical beam shot will help with the distinction but the high CRI versions are certainly worth consideration in their own right.

straightShot

Newly Enlightened
I hate to complicate things, but an additional factor is CRI. The wildcat in neutral is a true high CRI light. Quite a lovely affair, in my opinion. Likewise, the MDC 1AA is available in high CRI from illumination supply with a high CRI Nichia 219B. I'm not sure how much the typical beam shot will help with the distinction but the high CRI versions are certainly worth consideration in their own right.

Thanks!

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Back about oh.... 10-20? pages ago I did a beam shot of each 'flavor' compared to a P60.
Regretfully I do not have the photos anymore, nor do I know the post #. (Thatz old school for number symbol btw, before pound or hashtag.)

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you post a specific request, you may get a hit.

Or you can search this thread which is painful. As a search engine (I use duckduckgo.com) doesn't take you to the page where you got a hit. So if you get a hit on page 433 and click on it, it will take you to the last page. And I've never got much traction out of the search function on this site.

Again, make a specific request. I found out that people on the site are more or less receptive. Nobody has all the permutations but collectively you will get a hit eventually. If it's nothing too esoteric.

I took a bunch of M91/M61T/Hound Dog this/Hound Dog that/Super beamshots just never had the time to upload them.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Like Mike says, Flashlight Guide is the place. I never buy a light without consulting there first. Plus, I only use OR, Malkoff and HDS, so it works for me.
P