How to lose a light and maintain a positive attitude

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
To begin with, I do not have many lights, maybe around a dozen or dozen-and-a-half at most. But everyone is special.

When you lose a light, it can mean several things:

1) you lose it as in gets destroyed and never seen again - in the river, some lake, more likely in the woods and when found, inoperable.

2) When it gets stolen

3) When you lose it on the street, someone is almost certain to find it.

4) Lost inside your home or premises or in the car or somewhere technically in your possession - you just don't know where.

I just lost something again yesterday, one of the compact Hound Dogs, looked everywhere and will repeat it. I am inclined to think it's number 4 and the last I saw it was in the car. I am trying to trace the steps like when was the last time you've seen it.

Number 3 is the least objectionable out of these, well, after 4 anyway, at least someone gets a new toy that may eventually find its home.

2 gets you mad and accept it and 1 you just accept and move on.

4 is endless frustration.

Back to the subject line:

Looking at it as creative destruction for all 1-4, e.g. you order a new one, about $200 in total and the seller benefits and then that spreads around the community. It's kinda beneficial in a sense, you know if you make window glass and someone breaks all windows, suddenly you have a lot of work and food on your table, right.

There is just more than 1 way to look at it.

Cerealand

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just happened to me. #4. Spent 24 hours looking for it. Ended up in a place I least expected it. Fear was #1 and 3.

markr6

Flashaholic
A stolen light sure makes me mad! The ONE WEEK I leave my car parked outside, and the ONE NIGHT I leave it unlocked, someone got in there. I'm glad I didn't catch them because I honestly think I could beat them to a pulp and end up in jail.

Anyway, I wasn't so mad about the missing Zebralight SC52w since it was the nastiest green tint ever. I'm actually glad, as stupid as that sounds. Life's too short to live with ugly tints. But I also lost my Garmin and some other small items.

mcm308

Enlightened
But then there is #5,

You dont know where you lost it or what exact time it went missing. It could be here, there or maybe there and the possibility of being found by another party could be good.

I find myself doing EDC gear checks quite frequently through the day to prevent my stuff from growing a set of legs while out and about.

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was kind of ticked off that the jackasses that were working on my truck, left my truck in the unlocked portion of their repair center. Without calling to tell me it was repaired. They got my headlamp, stereo, tools, and damaged the flat screen monitor I carry with me when I troubleshoot computers on site. The repair shop took care of everything but it still gets me. I had just bought the headlamp and installed new batteries and they probably used it to help tear the truck apart.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just happened to me. #4. Spent 24 hours looking for it. Ended up in a place I least expected it. Fear was #1 and 3.

Wow. 24 hours.

I have a tendency to put things somewhere and forget it. Like, on a shelf somewhere. Go to the garage and set it on a shelf. Then get distracted, walk away. etc. I don't have the discipline to put things in exactly the same place every single time, like your pocket maybe.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
But then there is #5,

You dont know where you lost it or what exact time it went missing. It could be here, there or maybe there and the possibility of being found by another party could be good.

I find myself doing EDC gear checks quite frequently through the day to prevent my stuff from growing a set of legs while out and about.

One thing that helps is to store all the lights in one place and check out just one light at a time. If you need another one, put the first light back.

Good advice I could have used yesterday.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
I have a tendency to put things somewhere and forget it. Like, on a shelf somewhere. Go to the garage and set it on a shelf. Then get distracted, walk away. etc. I don't have the discipline to put things in exactly the same place every single time, like your pocket maybe.

Put a Tile on the lanyard.

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
One thing that helps is to store all the lights in one place and check out just one light at a time. If you need another one, put the first light back.

Good advice I could have used yesterday.

Like one of those neatly appointed garages that have the outlines of the tools so you know which one isn't there?

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I found it.

Actually my son did. I have no idea how it got under the couch. I suspect it was not due to me. Perhaps that mystery shall never be resolved.