Suggest a Durable Bug Hunting Light

D8Tee

Newly Enlightened
==================Flashlight Recommendation Checklist================

xxx This will be mail-order or Online (location doesn't matter).

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

xxx Up to $50.

3) Format:

xxx I want a flashlight (hand held/self contained).
I had a Fenix MC 11 which I quite liked. Currently have a Rofis Mr 70 which I like as well. looking for a double A flashlight for nite time insect identification. ____________________________________________

4) Size:

xxx TINY - Every day carry (2-4 inches).

xxx SMALL - Every day carry (4-7 inches).

5) Emitter/Light source:

xxx LED (known for efficiency, longevity, and compactness)

6) Manufacturer:

xxx I want to buy a light from a large/traditional manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.

xxx I would like a light from a specialty manufacturer (Possibly limited run/Custom).

xxx I am interested in assembling my own components. (for example a "host" or flashlight body from one manufacturer, and a "drop-in" emitter from another source).

7) What power source do you want to use?

xxx I intend to use "Primary"/Disposable Alkaline batteries based on the usual AAA/AA/C/D sized cells common to most stores.

xxx I intend to use Rechargeable cells (NiMH or NiCD) based on the usual AAA/AA/C/D sized cells common to most stores.

Really want a single AA light, but might consider some other power source. This is to be my insect finding, dark backalley light. I have a Rofis MR 70 as my powerbank, light up the path hiking light.

7a) If you have selected a rechargeable option

xxx I don't care, I can charge every nite.

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is not a happy experience).

xxx (150-300 lumens).

9) Flood vs Throw: Flood covers an area, Throw reaches out to a distance.

xxx Narrow Throw: I want a beam with a very tight "hot center" and minimal "side-spill". Good for distance viewing, fog, and looking through dense undergrowth.

xxx Less than 1 yard/meter (reading, other close work)

xxx 30-50 yards/meters (I have a big backyard)
Hoping to get a little single AA light with the highest candlepower, nice tight hotspot that will light up a spider or other bug in a natural light for taking pics. Throw is important, want that nice tight hotspot.

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum continuous output).

xxx Up to 30 minutes (I want the brightest [and potentially smallest] light for brief periods)

xxx 30-60 minutes (I have plenty of batteries just ready to be changed)

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

xxx Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box).

12) Switch Size, Type, and location (choose all that apply):

xxx I don't know.

xxx Other, please specify __A fast operating switch preferable. _________________.

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.

Maybe I want multiple light levels. (Some lights have 5-16 light levels.)

Maybe I want a programmable light.

Maybe I want a selector ring.

No I want a strobe mode. (Oscillating pattern to confuse/blind aka "Police Mode")

No I want SOS mode. (blinks in ...---... emergency pattern)

No I want a beacon mode. (Regular flashes at full power to show location.)

14)Material/Finish/Coating

xxx I don't care.

15) Water resistance

xxx IPX8 (Submersible to greater than 1 meter for 4 hours)

16) Storage condition:

Edc pocket carry

xxx Pocket/belt clip

xxx Holster

archimedes

Flashaholic
Re: Suggest me a Durable Bug Hunting Light

Hello and welcome to CPF

As a new member here, your first posts will require moderator approval, and your post above has been approved.

Please do not start duplicate threads. That does not get your posts approved any faster, but only creates more work for the mods to clean up. Thank you.

Poppy

Flashaholic
You might want to take a look at
Eagletac D25A Clicky Nichia 219

the Nichia 219 is a high CRI LED that will render colors well.

You may also be interested in getting the D25A in titanium for a few dollars more.

D8Tee

Newly Enlightened
You might want to take a look at
Eagletac D25A Clicky Nichia 219

the Nichia 219 is a high CRI LED that will render colors well.

You may also be interested in getting the D25A in titanium for a few dollars more.
Looks like a great light but it's over my price range by quite a bit, cheapest I can find it with shipping to Canada is 89 dollars.

D8Tee

Newly Enlightened
Manker T01ooks great but I can't find a Canadian outlet to buy it from. Any other double A throwers with specs like this?

Max LumeOutput: 900LM
Peak beam intensity: 20,000 cd
(Drive by 14500 Lithium Battery).

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maglite ML25 2C running on Eneloops - not a AA light, but it will run on AA's using a simple homemade spacer tube made from a piece of PVC pipe or even some rolled up news paper. The ML25 has a brighter hot spot than any 2AA light that I am aware of with a nice big spill just bright enough to keep you from walking into branches and such.....it is about the same length as a 2 AA light but a little chubbier, which I find gives a better grip and makes turning on with one hand easier.

https://www.maglite.com/shop/magliter-ml25lttm-2-cell-c-led-flashlight.html

D8Tee

Newly Enlightened
Maglite looks good, but it's too big. What about a light that has a UV Led as well as a white one. I hear that some bugs glow intensely under UV light.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix recently released the LD02 V2.0 with a high CRI LED and a UV LED combined but at 70 lumens it is lower output than what you specified. The larger 2XAAA LD05 V2.0 has a slightly higher output of 100 lumens.

D8Tee

Newly Enlightened
The Fenix LD 02 V2 looks like the best fit, thanks for your help.

D8Tee

Newly Enlightened
NOW TO FIND IT ON Amazon Canada, which I cannot seem to do...

SleepyInTheSun

Newly Enlightened
Did you have any luck? REI has reasonable coverage of the Fenix line south of the border, possibly MEC carries them north of the 49th...

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the LD02 V2 now and while the neutral/warm output is great the UV output seems weak compared to other UV lights I have. The UV works fine and I believe it probably is 365nm but the output is only good for close up use.

tokaji

Newly Enlightened
I have the LD05 V2.0 for a few weeks. I find the UV output weak too. Yes, it is 365nm.

I have the LD02 V2 now and while the neutral/warm output is great the UV output seems weak compared to other UV lights I have. The UV works fine and I believe it probably is 365nm but the output is only good for close up use.