Angryfox        
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The latest-greatest Malkoff M61 is 425 lumens and 600+ lumens on two Li-Ions

Default Re: The latest-greatest Malkoff M61 is 425 lumens and 600+ lumens on two Li-Ions

Maybe I'm late to the party, but I've just realized that some mischievous miscreant could forge the the little pimple underneath the "1" in order to pass an old module off as new on a for sale thread. I'd wager that this never entered into Gene's imagination, as he's an honest fellow. I wonder if future iterations of this module will have different markings as a result.
    “May it be a light to you in dark places, when all other lights go out.”
    J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

Flashaholic

Default Re: The latest-greatest Malkoff M61 is 425 lumens and 600+ lumens on two Li-Ions

Good point made.. For reference, I only own M61N variants and none are for sale!

For much of the Malkoff line, collector value is greater for vintage items ...
    ... is the archimedes peak

*Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Modernflame View Post
    Maybe I'm late to the party, but I've just realized that some mischievous miscreant could forge the the little pimple underneath the "1" in order to pass an old module off as new on a for sale thread. I'd wager that this never entered into Gene's imagination, as he's an honest fellow. I wonder if future iterations of this module will have different markings as a result.
    Hm, interesting point you make. I think it should have been called M611 or something along those lines to designate that it differs.

I don't really think the older one is worth less. Yeah, it's got lower lumens. But, it runs longer.

Does M61LL bring less coin than M61? Hm, no, exactly the same.
    ****** Malkoff Devices ****** “Learn to light a candle in the darkest moments of someone’s life. Be the light that helps others see; it is what gives life its deepest significance.” ― Roy T. Bennett, The Light in the Heart

*Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
    Thanks for this info - this weekend I can get my dremel tool out & upgrade my Malkoffs.

LOL

I think I will put two dots underneath. To designate the plus-plus Turbo version.
    ****** Malkoff Devices ****** “Learn to light a candle in the darkest moments of someone’s life. Be the light that helps others see; it is what gives life its deepest significance.” ― Roy T. Bennett, The Light in the Heart

*Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Modernflame View Post
    If you gents will forgive the crudeness of the photograph...

we are awaiting beamshots, especially compared next to the M61 version 1.0

Malkoff website doesn't say anything about 600 Lumens. Where did you get that information from??

Flashaholic

+1 ^^

Mostly from me, here.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by etc View Post
    we are awaiting beamshots, especially compared next to the M61 version 1.0
    The difference between this version and the last one is about the same (to my uncalibrated eyes) as when the little board switched from green to silver a few years back. It isn't unsubstantial, but it's not going to blow your hair back, either.

I don't really think the older one is worth less. Yeah, it's got lower lumens. But, it runs longer.
    This is my thought exactly, I am more of a fan of slightly more runtime with M61s. I tend to put them in various 6Ps with CR123s to stash in various places... so less draw is a draw for me.

If it were a more efficient emitter, that is one thing ... but just bumping the current to bump the output, no, I will prefer the earlier version too.

*Flashaholic*

Just to pose this question, I have a 7 year old M61. Around that. Maybe less/more. It's old. I had it filed at the edge for a perfect fit into 6p/9p series and it still works.

Question, has there been any difference between the earlier, first generation M61, as you might call it and the next-to-last generation, e.g. the M61 that we had just before this latest-greatest came out a few weeks ago?

Have there been minor, intermediate changes to the module say 2 year ago?

*Flashaholic*

thanks for your experiment. Mine should be here shortly and I shall evaluate it properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullzeyebill View Post
    Using bounce with with Light meter, and the same new gen M61 with one 18650, and two 18350's, the 2x 18350's showed at about 50% more output. So in the 600 lumen range. I was amassed.

Bill
    Last edited by etc; 08-17-2018 at 07:59 AM.

Question, has there been any difference between the earlier, first generation M61, as you might call it and the next-to-last generation, e.g. the M61 that we had just before this latest-greatest came out a few weeks ago?

Have there been minor, intermediate changes to the module say 2 year ago?
    I don't recall exactly when it happened, but there was an emitter upgrade a few years ago. Look down the business end of your M61 and behind the LED it will either have a green or silver board, the green is the older version (XPG vs XPG2?)

*Flashaholic*

This is very helpful, I will check it out.

*Flashaholic*

I just got the new M61, so let's do a review.
    First things first, there is no quantum leap, it's an incremental upgrade. I compared to an older circa 2011 M61 that I've had for a while and the striking difference is first of all, it's an entirely new LED. I have that green board for the old M61 I have, this one has a white or light gray board. As to be expected.

The old M61 has a more defined hotspot and I just noticed that the 2011 M61 has a beam profile that looks like a donut. I cannot believe I missed it all these years. (But then I haven't used it as frequently as other devices). Yes a donut. The new one has no donut resemblance. I think it has a weaker defined hotspot but it puts out a few more lumens in the overall spill or flood. That's where the 425 lumens comes from and I think it's right on the money.
    I also ran it on the dual cells, 2x18650, the olde AW 2600 mAh cells I have laying around that have lost much of their capacity but not the voltage. It got somewhat brighter but still think the 600 lumen is a bit optimistic. Maybe just shy of 500 is my assessment. Or 500 as the very max.

which is impressive, still.

But it's not like the old M61 only with more lumens.

My new M61 does not have a "dot" or anything underneath but the reason I know I got a new one is because it gets hot - you can tell the current is higher. My 2011 vintage M61 does not get hot at all, you cannot tell it's turned on actually by feeling it.

The old M61 has a beige tint, almost neutral, the new one has a much different tint, completely pure white. which is just fine.

So it's a nice module, but don't expect miracles versus the older M61. The biggest difference is the beam profile, they are hard to compare, they are different. White wall purists, the new M61 does not have the stupid donut that I didn't even realize I had all this time. I think the additional lumens do not go towards increasing the lux and the throw but towards greater flood/spill. I think the old M61 has less coverage and a better defined donut.

I didn't get the chance to pick up one of these new modules from the last sale but i think the claims are a bit extreme

I just did a quick test on my m61 that was purchased last yr.

Mine puts out approx 375lm on single li-ion, 420lm wi 2 li-ion. My guess is the new module will also have an approximate increase in the 50lm range

If i ever decide to get one for comparison, i will let you all know

Keep in mind, i just performed a quick peak test. I did several short bursts and provided the highest readings
    Last edited by INFRNL; 08-17-2018 at 09:11 PM.

My 2011 vintage M61 does not get hot at all, you cannot tell it's turned on actually by feeling it.
    That's interesting. Every M61 I've ever met will run hot when driven at 6v or higher, except for L and LL variants, obviously. They are clearly optimized to run @~4v. With that said, I've never used one that's as old as yours.

I have been using bounce with a light meter for 10+ years. My eyes are not accurate so the use of the meter. I stand by my bounce test testing the new M61. I am using the 22mm Malkoff head, which my produce a few more lumens.

Bill

*Flashaholic*

I think mine is the very version 1.0, the original. I ran it on 2 cells so maybe that's why it never got hot. You cannot tell it's on by touching it. This latest gets hot. Which is good, I suppose, you can tell 0.8 Amps.

I used mine under my wife's car today. Plenty of power. No worries about it getting smacked around on the concrete. I love Malkoff flashlights.

*Flashaholic*

Yeah, M61 v2.0 is a very nice short distance light. Ideal for car work, looking for things around the room.

The beam is perfection, it's smooth with a huge hotspot that is not nowhere near as high lux as say M61HOT *but* it transitions into a huge spill and overall, I think the lumens are the same as in a M61T on two cells (around 425-450, maybe closer to 500 in a multi-cell configuration).

It's a different light from M61 v1.0

It does what Hound Dog does not do that well. Let alone Super. Or M91T.

I did ran it in a FiveMega 6P body until I put it in the MD3 body with dual 18500s. The ones rated 2000mAh. So the runtime is lower, the lumens higher.

It would be interesting to get yet another lumens assessment.

This latest gets hot. Which is good, I suppose, you can tell 0.8 Amps.
    Yes, using a DMM.

Bill

*Flashaholic*

If you can picture M91 - not the "T", the older circa 2010 M91 that was all flood and zero throw - I had one, did not like it and M91T, which has a hot hotspot and little to no spill - this M61 v2.0 is a marriage between the two. It's much floodier than M61T, M61HOT and M91T but not so floody as the old M91, kind of in between and of course half as bright.

*Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Bullzeyebill View Post
    Yes, using a DMM.

Bill
    I did not mean you can tell the current by touching. But I have two, the old one and the new one and I can tell which one I am using by heat.
    That is assuming they are in identical looking hosts. But even if not, I can easily forget which one is where.

The new gets hot due to high current. The old v1.0 not at all.

If you can picture M91 - not the "T", the older circa 2010 M91 that was all flood and zero throw - I had one, did not like it [...]
    No worries, it is doing well w/ me lol.

*Flashaholic*

You welcome...
    You have the one and only M91 "Neutral" - at the time anyway.

You welcome...
    You have the one and only M91 "Neutral" - at the time anyway.

While on the topic of M61s. I have an older one with the LED on a green board. It looks like an XPG?

Anyway. My actual question. Why isn’t the reflector made to take up the entire available area in a 6P head?

I recently got a Nichia 219C P60 module from Customlites, also with an OP reflector like my M61, and it out-throws the M61 by quite a margin.

I would imagine that if the diameter of the reflector was increased (is that what you're asking?) you'd have to increase the depth of it to get the same focus.
    P

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast