Zanflare c4 VS Liitokala lii500 which one more accurare in Nor test

gadits

Newly Enlightened
Hello everyone
I want to buy cheap analyzing charger for testing eneloop only
I read hkj review of both but i couldn't deside which one is more accurate?
Who will give me the closest mah capacity of the battery in nor test?

PartyPete

Enlightened
I only have the Zanflare so I can't say for sure in terms of a comparison. Both seem to have positive reviews. Just my humble opinion though, I think the C4 as a more appealing look and interface but I think in terms of charging/analyzing both seem equal from what I've seen in reviews.

I believe the C4 is bit more expensive but again both seem great from what I've read.

gadits

Newly Enlightened
Thank you
is someone have them both?
That can say which one is more accurate?

MAD777

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have 3 Liikotas lii500 and 1 Zanfare C4.
One lii500 died, another has one bay that sometimes needs battery reinserted to start, and the other unit is fine. No problems yet with the C4.

gadits

Newly Enlightened
I have 3 Liikotas lii500 and 1 Zanfare C4.
One lii500 died, another has one bay that sometimes needs battery reinserted to start, and the other unit is fine. No problems yet with the C4.
Thank you mad777
What about accuracy between both?
I need to know which one will give me more accurate capacity test?

Gauss163

Flashlight Enthusiast
HKJ states that: "The mAh display is a bit on the high side."

Keep in mind that there may be a large amount of variation between specific units (e.g. due to variation in component tolerance, calibration, QC, etc). It would not be surprising if HKJ's C4 was a bit high, but another C4 was a bit low. One cannot expect higher consistency at this price point. In fact there were prior threads here and on BLF where one user spent much effort trying to find one Opus BT-C3100 unit that agreed closely with HKJ's results. The numbers reported there (and elsewhere) highlight just how much the results can vary between units of the same model/revision.

Last edited:

gadits

Newly Enlightened
https://lygte-info.dk/review/Review Charger Zanflare C4 UK.html

There's the test.

Chris
Thanks chriss
But as i said i read both reviews by hkj
On the zanflare c4 it was saying what you quate now that the display of the mah is on the high side

And for the liitokala lii500 he said that this charger dont fill the battery completely

This is why i am confused and cant decide which one is more accurate

It will be great if hkj will answer to my questions 👍

Gauss163

Flashlight Enthusiast

To better answer your question you should tell us what accuracy you need, and especially why you need it, e.g. do you need absolute or only relative accuracy? Are you planning to post reviews of many batteries (comparing absolute numbers) or do you plan to use capacity only to track battery health (so absolute numbers are not as important, i.e. here one is more interested in the capacity lost - a relative number). Some chargers may have poor absolute accuracy (e.g. calibration offset) but those will cancel out when you take differences, so their relative accuracy may still be good - and that's primarily what you need for tracking health.

Last edited:

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks chriss
But as i said i read both reviews by hkj
On the zanflare c4 it was saying what you quate now that the display of the mah is on the high side

And for the liitokala lii500 he said that this charger dont fill the battery completely

It will be great if hkj will answer to my questions 

Sorry, I was power watching old episodes of Keeping Up With The Kardashians and glossed over that fact.

I wouldn't really worry too much about absolute perfection regarding capacity numbers, as I would with how long either unit lasts, before taking a dump.

I would have said the Lii 500 Engineer before reading the other guy's problems with multiple Liitokala units. I do have two of their 100s and two of their 202s and they all work well after a couple of years of moderate use.

Chris

gadits

Newly Enlightened
To better answer your question you should tell us what accuracy you need, and especially why you need it, e.g. do you need absolute or only relative accuracy? Are you planning to post reviews of many batteries (comparing absolute numbers) or do you plan to use capacity only to track battery health (so absolute numbers are not as important, i.e. here one is more interested in the capacity lost - a relative number). Some chargers may have poor absolute accuracy (e.g. calibration offset) but those will cancel out when you take differences, so their relative accuracy may still be good - and that's primarily what you need for tracking health.

Thanks gauss163
i am not going to post reviews or do many tests
I just want a charger that will show me reasonable Mah capacity of my brand new eneloops 😃

PartyPete

Enlightened
https://lygte-info.dk/review/Review Charger Zanflare C4 UK.html

There's the test.

Chris
I trust HKJ and certainly reading slightly high could be a possibility. However I have noticed with the C4 that occasionally I will get some low readings after a Nor test with Eneloop AA.

For instance there's been a few times with regular Eneloops I've run a full Nor test and came up with results that are unusually low, like 1500 mAh or something.

But for the most part it seems spot on with cell's stated capacity considering factors like it's age and such.

Gauss163

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just want a charger that will show me reasonable Mah capacity of my brand new eneloops 

But what do you plan to use these numbers for? As I said, if you only need to use it to track capacity (e.g. the cell has N% of its original capacity) then absolute accuracy is less important than relative accuracy. I'm not aware of any charger reviews that rigorously compare charger capacity measurements, so you should take whatever numbers you encounter with a grain of salt (probably at least +/- 8% combining unit variation and nonrigorous testing, etc).

AA Cycler

Newly Enlightened
I want to buy cheap analyzing charger for testing eneloop only
I read hkj review of both but i couldn't deside which one is more accurate?
Who will give me the closest mah capacity of the battery in nor test?

Hi gadits,

measuring mAh accurately is tricky, because it depends on so many factors. Like how deep you discharge the cell, how big is the discharge current, do you integrate the variable discharge current over time, or just multiply the discharge time with constant discharge current?

If you pick 0.9V then is it 0.9V under load or 0.9V open circuit? And 0.9V in winter will be reached sooner than 0.9V in summer as the cell voltage depends on temperature...

Also, cells with high internal resistance will reach 0.9V under load much quicker, leaving plenty of undischarged mAh in the cell, but it will give you the more practical "usable" capacity of the cell. Discharging to 0.9V open circuit will give you the "total" capacity which you will never be able to use. What are you more interested in, the smaller "usable" or the bigger "total" capacity?

And then, assuming 2 cells, one brand new Eneloop with low internal resistance around 50mOhm, and one worn down Eneloop Pro with high internal resistance around 800 mOhm. Both read 1850 mAh, are they equivalent? Not at all. The internal resistance is also an important factor to tell the state of health of a cell. So how you measure internal resistance most accurately? The answer is - it does not matter :)

Get an analyzing charger that shows a rough estimate of the cell's capacity and a rough estimate of its internal resistance. Lii500 is not able to measure internal resistance on NiMH cells, so get the Zanflare C4.

Cheers,
AA Cycler

Last edited:

gadits

Newly Enlightened
Hi gadits,

measuring mAh accurately is tricky, because it depends on so many factors. Like how deep you discharge the cell, how big is the discharge current, do you integrate the variable discharge current over time, or just multiply the discharge time with constant discharge current?

If you pick 0.9V then is it 0.9V under load or 0.9V open circuit? And 0.9V in winter will be reached sooner than 0.9V in summer as the cell voltage depends on temperature...

Also, cells with high internal resistance will reach 0.9V under load much quicker, leaving plenty of undischarged mAh in the cell, but it will give you the more practical "usable" capacity of the cell. Discharging to 0.9V open circuit will give you the "total" capacity which you will never be able to use. What are you more interested in, the smaller "usable" or the bigger "total" capacity?

And then, assuming 2 cells, one brand new Eneloop with low internal resistance around 50mOhm, and one worn down Eneloop Pro with high internal resistance around 800 mOhm. Both read 1850 mAh, are they equivalent? Not at all. The internal resistance is also an important factor to tell the state of health of a cell. So how you measure internal resistance most accurately? The answer is - it does not matter :)

Get an analyzing charger that shows a rough estimate of the cell's capacity and a rough estimate of its internal resistance. Lii500 is not able to measure internal resistance on NiMH cells, so get the Zanflare C4.

Cheers,
AA Cycler

Thank you very much cycler👍
I saw in many videos that the lii500 ir display for nimh batteries is always 52 and that was wierd, now i understand why😃
You solved my dilemma
I will buy the zanflare c4
Thanks👍

Gauss163

Flashlight Enthusiast
[...] So how you measure internal resistance most accurately? The answer is - it does not matter :)

It's not clear what you mean, but certainly obtaining reasonably accurate measurement of IR does matter if one is seriously interested in tracking cell health.