NITECORE -- Keep Innovating        

Thread: Surefire Tailcap question

Default Surefire Tailcap question

So I've noticed on my C3 that the tailcap (original momentary + twisty) has a tactile and almost audible "click" when pushed in, almost like the aluminum center piece is catching on the body tube. I think I can feel it when the tailcap is off the light as well. Has anybody seen this before? Any known way to smooth this out?

Edit: Just took it apart again and cleaned/lubed. Maybe a slight improvement I dunno. But what I did figure out is that its actually vertical play in the tailcap threads. Guess its not going anywhere unless I convert to a McClicky!
    Last edited by Buck91; 08-17-2018 at 10:00 AM.

Flashaholic

Default Re: Surefire Tailcap question

Quote Originally Posted by Buck91 View Post
    So I've noticed on my C3 that the tailcap (original momentary + twisty) has a tactile and almost audible "click" when pushed in, almost like the aluminum center piece is catching on the body tube. I think I can feel it when the tailcap is off the light as well. Has anybody seen this before? Any known way to smooth this out?

Edit: Just took it apart again and cleaned/lubed. Maybe a slight improvement I dunno. But what I did figure out is that its actually vertical play in the tailcap threads. Guess its not going anywhere unless I convert to a McClicky!
    I just emailed SF about an extra tail cap, not broken just not as crisp a click as my P2X. I received an email back within an hour and a new tail cap within a few days.
    SureFire Titan, SureFire Titan Plus, SureFire P2X Fury Tactical, SureFire P3X Fury Tactical, SureFire M600 Ultra Scout Light, Olight S1 Baton, Olight S2 Baton, Olight M3XS-UT, Olight X7.

Quote Originally Posted by Buck91 View Post
    Converting to a McClicky might not change that. Does the plastic retaining ring have play when you screw it into the tailcap without the other parts?

Eric
    Move Through The Light .... With Caution
    My Collection.......... just click on me if interested

I didn't disassemble the tailcap itself so I don't know. I figure a McClicky would solve it, if I went that route, because then the t/c would be screwed in all the way. Guess it wouldn't hurt to send SF an email although I doubt they have replacements from this vintage left.