Very limited diffuse reflector going on sale

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
HDS will be offering a very limited number of semi-diffuse reflectors on Monday August 27th at Noon Tucson time.
Only 12 will be available.

What is a semi-diffuse reflector? This reflector gives you a bigger hotspot and more spill from your light. I will be posting some beam shots later in the week comparing the standard reflector to this new semi-diffuse. I have been rocking one for a little bit now.

It is specially coated with a phosphorescent material (the actual coating is a combination of things including the phosphor that Henry came up). The reflector glows green when the light is turned off.

They will be selling for $60.

I can attest, these are exceedingly labor intensive to make.

Besides beam shots, I will be getting some "glow time" tests and photos later in the week as well.

img-1608.jpg
img-1610.jpg

Cerealand

Flashlight Enthusiast
Would the shipping for this item be $15? Lowest I checked last time.

emarkd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well dang, that's cool. Looking forward to the comparison photos. So only 12 pieces, huh. Is that in this drop, like a test run with more coming later? Or 12 and done forever and ever?

Seems like a lot of development effort to only make a dozen units and then discontinue it...

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yes. You can always order another light to offset the cost... I'm just thinking like a CPFer.

That's neat. How does the beam compare to previous flood reflector?

The previous diffuse reflector completely diffused the light so that there was no hot spot at all.

Well dang, that's cool. Looking forward to the comparison photos. So only 12 pieces, huh. Is that in this drop, like a test run with more coming later? Or 12 and done forever and ever?

Seems like a lot of development effort to only make a dozen units and then discontinue it...

There will some others coming later, but not exactly the same.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Why does hds come out with everything in limited numbers? I don't mean to sound negative but you sell products that many want but only produce just enough to tick off the other 100 or so that don't have time to jump on the bandwagon.

emarkd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why does hds come out with everything in limited numbers?

That's...actually not true at all. They've done some limited run stuff lately, like these special metals, and I know that can be frustrating. But I also expect the demand for such products is too low to make them regularly stocked items anyway. In fact, most of what HDS makes, the stuff most folks want, isn't limited. But most of what we seem to want to talk about here is the specials, so it may seem like its all they're doing when in fact its just all we're talking about.

As for this particular product, Hogo said right above you that more are coming later. This is just a small batch.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
That glowing reflector is wicked. I imagine it matched up with one of those aftermarket tritium bezels. I'll have to stake my hopes on a later production run, as I won't be available on that date and time for an online purchase.

redryder

Enlightened
Change in throw or lumens? Are these meant as replacemnts only for the newer reflectors w/ the groove on the back or also the older flat back acme thread ones?

Last edited:

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just like the old diffuse reflectors, these kill your throw, though not as bad as the original diffuse. Also, just like the original diffuse reflector, while very efficient, you still lose lumens. It also has no effect on tint or CRI. Nothing is free. It about doubles the size of the hot spot, but makes it dimmer as a result.
These aren't for everyone. If you want every last lumen out of your light, this isn't for you. If you want a larger softer hotspot, then this is the ticket. Want your lowest low even lower, then this is it (much like the original diffuse reflector).

While I really like the original diffuse reflector, there was no hot spot at all (good for photography and some other things around the house) but I didn't care for it much outside. This allows me to still use it in the yard.

redryder

Enlightened
I guess the reason for the coating is to use the existing reflector. Too expensive to design/manufacture a new reflector?

JKolmo

Enlightened

...and for us international junkies shipping would be USD 75 I presume? Is it doable - within the borderline of being a PITA - to order one of these semi diffuse guys but ask for HDS to hold it and ship it with let's say the Ti fix in January? Would be awesome if doable.

EDIT: no 2 on the ball...

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess the reason for the coating is to use the existing reflector. Too expensive to design/manufacture a new reflector?

Why would we design a new reflector for this? It wouldn't be cost efficient to do so when the current reflector can be used. Same as with the diffuse reflector. That was all on the existing design.

Does the $60 price point include the complete reflector/ bezel assembly or only the reflector?

Well, considering a new bezel is $26, a basic reflector is $29, a glass lens is $13, and there are 4 O-rings in the bezel assembly... This is for the reflector only.

Guess shipping to Europe will be $75 like normal?

Unfortunately, yes.

Why would we design a new reflector for this? It wouldn't be cost efficient to do so when the current reflector can be used. Same as with the diffuse reflector. That was all on the existing design.

Does the $60 price point include the complete reflector/ bezel assembly or only the reflector?

Well, considering a new bezel is $26, a basic reflector is $29, a glass lens is $13, and there are 4 O-rings in the bezel assembly... This is for the reflector only.

Guess shipping to Europe will be $75 like normal?

Unfortunately, yes.

...and for us international junkies shipping would be USD 75 I presume? Is it doable - within the borderline of being a PITA - to order one of these semi diffuse guys but ask for HDS to hold it and ship it with let's say the Ti fix in January? Would be awesome if doable.

EDIT: no 2 on the ball...

Too much of a PITA, and in all likelihood, we would forget to send it anyway.