EAGTAC        
Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Possible issues changing light engines?

  1. #1

    Default Possible issues changing light engines?

    Hello all.

    Iíve got a Haiku with AA engine (love it!) and recently acquired a mule head with a HIVE engine. Anything I should know before transferring the HIVE engine into the Haiku head? It wonít be permanent, just something to try.

    I had quite a few McGizmo and Aleph lights maybe 18 years ago, and originally did a lot of playing with different combos until I found what I liked. I knew the various rules/restrictions at that time, but that was 18 years ago.

    Thanks,
    Mark

  2. #2

    Default Re: Possible issues changing light engines?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoka Hey View Post
    Hello all.

    Iíve got a Haiku with AA engine (love it!) and recently acquired a mule head with a HIVE engine. Anything I should know before transferring the HIVE engine into the Haiku head? It wonít be permanent, just something to try.

    I had quite a few McGizmo and Aleph lights maybe 18 years ago, and originally did a lot of playing with different combos until I found what I liked. I knew the various rules/restrictions at that time, but that was 18 years ago.

    Thanks,
    Mark
    You'll need to ensure the solder pads/blobs of solder on the board don't interfere with the Haiku reflector. Worst case scenario is that it may short out on the reflector or interfere with seating correctly around the LED.
    Don solders the pads towards the outer edge and applies tape over the connections to be safe on a Haiku, with a mule or SD he usually just solders the middle with a decent blob.

    If all your LEs are soldered in Haiku configuration then they'll go back and forth between any of the heads (Makai excluded) no problems, the only consideration would then be XPG or XML reflector choice.
    Often people, myself included, will resolder the pads to the outer edge with a small blob of solder when adapting an LE from a mule or SD to also easily suit a Haiku.

    Good luck with it all, it's not as complicated as I may have made it sound. Just trying to be thorough so you get the best result.
    Last edited by F89; 08-23-2018 at 07:59 PM.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Possible issues changing light engines?

    Quote Originally Posted by F89 View Post
    You'll need to ensure the solder pads/blobs of solder on the board don't interfere with the Haiku reflector. Worst case scenario is that it may short out on the reflector or interfere with seating correctly around the LED.
    Don solders the pads towards the outer edge and applies tape over the connections to be safe on a Haiku, with a mule or SD he usually just solders the middle with a decent blob.

    If all your LEs are soldered in Haiku configuration then they'll go back and forth between any of the heads no problems, the only consideration would then be XPG or XML reflector choice.

    Thanks!

    The leads on the HIVE are taped (orange film it looks like) same as the AA engine. Looks like itís good to go.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Possible issues changing light engines?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoka Hey View Post
    Thanks!

    The leads on the HIVE are taped (orange film it looks like) same as the AA engine. Looks like itís good to go.
    I added some info to be excessive.
    Sounds like you're set, enjoy Mark.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Possible issues changing light engines?

    Quote Originally Posted by F89 View Post
    I added some info to be excessive.
    Sounds like you're set, enjoy Mark.
    F89,
    Thanks. Iím a fan of excessive information.

    Supposedly itís an XPG on the HIVE. Just played with it a bit outside, and itís a noticeable bump in lumens from the AA/Nichia 119. Iím really liking the 4 levels the HIVE provides. Definitely going to consider an AquaRam.

    Most of my older lights were 2 speeds, and the light output was bluer than blue. These are so much nicer itís ridiculous.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Possible issues changing light engines?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoka Hey View Post
    F89,
    Thanks. Iím a fan of excessive information.

    Supposedly itís an XPG on the HIVE. Just played with it a bit outside, and itís a noticeable bump in lumens from the AA/Nichia 119. Iím really liking the 4 levels the HIVE provides. Definitely going to consider an AquaRam.

    Most of my older lights were 2 speeds, and the light output was bluer than blue. These are so much nicer itís ridiculous.
    You're welcome.

    Don's lights are amazing and your new light sounds awesome.
    Check out the new Mahi head if you haven't already.
    I'm a big fan of the Haiku in it's various configurations, also have an AA 119V which I love while my current favourite is a bit of a concoction being a 2AA Haiku with a modded LE holding a Nichia sw45k R9080 219B behind the XML reflector. It's pretty well tint, beam and CRI perfection but it'd lack the punch in throw that your new XPG2 Hive behind an XPG reflector would provide.
    Have a good one Mark.
    Last edited by F89; 08-23-2018 at 09:27 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •