What's the latest in magnetic variable ring type flashlights?

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
I prefer flashlights that I can control the output on and those I found the best are the "magnetic ring" types which can slowly be ramped up in output as you twist the ring. Unfortunately, there aren't very many small lights that do this, namely small AAA or AA size lights, so the next best are the single CR123 size lights. I have several types but it seems that most are hard to find now. Just the Sunwayman brand. What are the smaller types that are still available and are of good quality?

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have and enjoy a Jetbeam RRT-01, they are hard to find
there is a modern version called the Niteye 10, the difference being that the control ring has 11 detents instead of being smooth ramping

There is a Used Sunwayman for a steal here

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have and enjoy a Jetbeam RRT-01, they are hard to find
there is a modern version called the Niteye 10, the difference being that the control ring has 11 detents instead of being smooth ramping

There is a Used Sunwayman for a steal here

Niteye 10 came out the same time as the RRT-01. Both are old lights. Internally the Eye 10 is virtually identical, right down to the driver. The main difference is it has extra detentes drilled into the control ring.

There really aren't that many magnetic control ring lights around these days. I think one of the issues is the control ring takes a lot of space. You can make a much smaller light using the same cell without the control ring.

Last edited:

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Niteye 10 came out the same time as the RRT-01.

thank you, I respect and appreciate your deep knowledge on this topic, Ive read a lot of your posts

the control ring interface on my RRT-01 is extremely flexible, if I could have it in high CRI it would be even better

Until I got the variable magnetic ring, all my other lights were three mode lights with fixed presets. Some are too low, some are too high, with the ring it can be just right.

I have not tried any of the electronic ramping software.

I recently got a Novatac, and Im starting to understand how much more versatile a programmable interface can be. Now Im even more curious about the HDS Rotary, as it seems to be a vastly simpler UI than programming button clicks. However these are not small lights, nor is the RRT-01 imo.

small is the Olight S Mini and S1 Mini, but not programmable.. still great little lights though, very useful presets, with memory plus shortcuts
43261356285_72648bfc92_b.jpg

Last edited:

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
These are the current lights I own:

Niteye Eye 10 - used as my bedside light
Sunwayman V11R - used as my EDC
Jetbeam RRT10 - Stays in my safe since they are very hard to find.
Nitecore SRT6 - Not used much.
Nitecore SRT9 - Also not used much.
Nitecore P36 - A bit different than the others since it's not really a ring, but still has the ramping up of output.

night.hoodie

Enlightened
Not new, I believe it the among the first, no fancy magnetics or rings of control, but certainly infinintely variable brightnesses are achieved with practice, usually H M L.

Gentlemen, stolen from some forgotten cpfmarketplace sales thread, I present the venerable and the humble Surefire z52

d1e0528f-ec37-41cd-b59b-1ddbc954d314.jpg

opps... actually in black, this is a z54,
in natural ano, z52 is identical

Last edited:

Sos24

Enlightened
Nitecore srt 9 and srt 7 gt are fairly recent

Edit sorry these are not small

Nitecore SRT3 Defenderis is not new and I think may have been discontinued although still able to be found. It is a CR123 which can use AA if you insert the included extension tube.

Last edited:

Archibald Tuttle

Newly Enlightened
I think the difficulty of production and associated profit margins play a small part in the decline of magnetic ring lights. The design has decidedly taken a turn for the worse. Bad puns aside, it's my favorite U.I.
I believe only some sort of voice recognition U.I. would make operation any easier. The trade off in driver efficiency over standard stepped drivers is worth it, in my opinion. I have other light sources and "Lego" bodies that will run for insanely long periods.
My favorite, a JetBeam TC-R1 is still hanging in there.
25f2dyw.jpg

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast

that is a thing of beauty, and worth requoting :)

what do you think of the pros and cons of the V11R with tailswitch, vs the Jetbeam dial only interface?

I MUCH prefer the Jetbeam myself, KISS
but, the V11R does allow setting a "memory" mode, thanks to the tailswitch.
otoh, flipping the light to reach the switch and then the dial, is not my thing.

Archibald Tuttle

Newly Enlightened
that is a thing of beauty, and worth requoting :)

what do you think of the pros and cons of the V11R with tailswitch, vs the Jetbeam dial only interface?

I MUCH prefer the Jetbeam myself, KISS
but, the V11R does allow setting a "memory" mode, thanks to the tailswitch.
otoh, flipping the light to reach the switch and then the dial, is not my thing.

Jon, thanks. To be honest, initially, I did not like the MK II hand grenade look on the battery tube A coworker has a ring controlled torch and insists on calling them ALL " StarGate " lights. :D
It's all horses for courses, the V11R is a wonderful tool. I would not hesitate to own the V11R if I could not locate a JB RRT01 or TCR1/2. The JetBeam RRT01 takes the 18350, now up to a consistent and documented 1100mah. Not far off from a primary CR123 and surpasses most 14500 cells. The RRT01 has the lowest output of any torch I've handled. A healthy JB has a tiny standby current, usually offset by my relatively heavy use. The V11R switch ends the stand by loss argument completely and as you mentioned can be preset before turning on. Over the last 2-3 years, I've tried a SureFire T1A, a NiteCore EX10, the lovely HDS rotary and several electronically variable torches that are currently available.
My dream light is a Paul Kim designed, all stainless steel, rotary light. :)

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the input guys. And thanks for the "The design has decidedly taken a turn for the worse" pun. Good job!

Anyway, I guess I'll just have to pamper my RRT01 a much as I can if it is going to be a rare interface.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
The JetBeam RRT01 takes the 18350, now up to a consistent and documented 1100mah. Not far off from a primary CR123 and surpasses most 14500 cells. The RRT01 has the lowest output of any torch I've handled.
Over the last 2-3 years, I've tried a SureFire T1A, a NiteCore EX10, the lovely HDS rotary and several electronically variable torches that are currently available.
My dream light is a Paul Kim designed, all stainless steel, rotary light. :)

thanks for sharing your wealth of experience

Im glad to learn the RRT-01 has a lower low than the V11R (I hear the low is 1 lumen on V11R). I like the sublumen levels on the RRT-01 very much, I have measured the lowest low at below 0.01 lumens (the bottom limit on my meter is 0.01, but I can still turn the RRT-01 LED lower and see it glowing with my naked eye). Thats an order of manitude lower than my Novatac 120, that reads 0.11 on my meter.

this site says the TCR2 goes down as low as 0.003 lumens, Im guessing thats similar to the RRT-01

Im going to try an HDS Rotary in a passaround, what are some reasons you might choose to carry an RRT-01 instead of an HDS Rotary? I have only tried a Novatac clicky, here is a size comparison
43261356285_72648bfc92_b.jpg

although the Novatac has electronic ramping, the RRT-01 has a vastly more user friendly UI (so does the Olight, but it has fixed modes, that I actually find very well sorted, and quite similar to an HDS clicky presets)

the one thing I dont like about both the Novatac and RRT-01 and Olight, is that the circuit produces photographable ripples. I can also see the flicker with my (highly trained) naked eyes. I also dislike the green tinted low cri cool white LEDs in those 3 lights.

the green tint of the RRT-01 is on the right
29881529538_2be6812a2f_b.jpg

I have one 18350, but it does not work in my RRT-01, it has a flat top so the cell is stopped by the reverse polarity protection ring around the positive post in the head of the light. The pictured button top 16340 on the right works.

42505420720_6def9bb8b2_b.jpg

I like calling our Magnetic, smooth ramping Jetbeams, Light Sabres :)
I agree the grenade cross hatch is not a favorite, but Im sure I could tolerate it if I had to, lol
What are some of the reasons you would prefer a Stainless Steel Rotary (and by that do you mean magnetic ring infinitely variable, and not HDS 24 step?), over your Titanium Jetbeam Magnetic Rotary?

One advantage to the HDS is the option to buy with a Nichia (or modify, the Novatac can also be modified to Nichia). High CRI is a High Priority Preference for me.

Last edited:

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is the only interface I have the patience for these days, and I go with Nitecore. I carry an SRT6, SRT9, and HC90 (basically a headlight version of the SRT6), with an SRT3 on my bedside table. The SRT3 is a CR123A light that comes with a AA extension tube. It has several nonsense modes, like a tiny red/blue "police" flasher, but the ring interface means that none of it gets in the way of anything else. Being a few years old, the SRT3's maximum output is around 500 lumens, but its minimum output is a mere glow that I can comfortably look right into with dark-adapted eyes.

I don't think a magnetic control ring would fit into a AAA form factor, but a scaled-down HC90 (which has a slider instead of a ring) might work. Unfortunately, Nitecore doesn't give this interface much attention, so I doubt we'll such a thing anytime soon (especially given that the HC90 is discontinued).

Archibald Tuttle

Newly Enlightened
@TigerhawkT3, thanks for the info, the SRT3 is impressive.
@jon_slider , the Vapcell 18350 is a quality cell. The RRT01 can take a reflow emitter swap. I put a 4k XML-L2 in my TCR1. Color and runtime are improved. The 4K is vastly better than the seafoam green/blue emitter the factory sent it off with. I haven't looked to see if the Nichia vf and current requirements are suitable for life in the RRT01.
The HDS may be a perfect fit for you, and if not , easy to move on the secondary market it seems. The Rotary is a splendid example of engineering, but requires a belt pouch, in my opinion and for my uses, and I unequivocally despise pouches for several, very practical reasons. My rotary is now the property of my wife. She likes it and it has developed a lovely purse patina. A testimony to the HDS durability is surviving that purse, it carries more kit, H20 and bits than many light infantry brigades.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
light infantry brigades.

Lol
thanks for the comments
I agree HDS are too big for my pocket, and like you, I am not a holster user. I may put my Novatac in my car tool kit with a CR123

Im glad you were able to do an LED swap for your TCR1. I had very unstable output in a V11r modded to N219c, so I am afraid of changing LEDs on a magnetic rotary. I dont know enough to understand which Led is a better match

Im glad you are not noticing any problem with your XM-L2 swap.. did you use a 90+ CRI LED?

here is a thread with a video of my V11R unstable output, plus photos of my test of the RRT-01 with stock LED that is much more stable.

Last edited: