123 Batteries

FlashlightFun

Newly Enlightened
Although many devices that use "123" batteries are sold with a Duracell 123 battery... replacement batteries tend to be both very expensive and difficult to find locally. Any suggests on the best places to purchase them?

I was surprised to discover both Duracell and Surefire batteries in one store. The Surefire ones were significantly less expensive than the Duracell ones. Does the price difference reflect a significant difference in product quality?

I'd also like to find high quality rechargeable 123 batteries as well as a high quality battery charger. (I'd prefer a battery charger that can handle a variety of different types of batteries, if possible.) Any suggestions?

Is there a good rule of thumb to use in deciding whether to use a primary versus rechargeable battery in a given device? (For example, I spoke to someone who was out of town when a dead battery triggered his home alarm system.) Is it better to use primary rather than rechargeable batteries in security-related devices?

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
Comments in red.

Although many devices that use "123" batteries are sold with a Duracell 123 battery... replacement batteries tend to be both very expensive and difficult to find locally. Any suggests on the best places to purchase them? Don't buy locally.......too expensive. I have about 50 name brand CR123A batteries that I keep as emergency use. Have picked them up for less than $1.50 at various places. I tend to use the 16340's in flashlight that can use both types of batteries.

I was surprised to discover both Duracell and Surefire batteries in one store. The Surefire ones were significantly less expensive than the Duracell ones. Does the price difference reflect a significant difference in product quality? Really no difference in quality. Both are made in the same factory in the U.S. along with a couple of other brands that I can't recall.

I'd also like to find high quality rechargeable 123 batteries as well as a high quality battery charger. (I'd prefer a battery charger that can handle a variety of different types of batteries, if possible.) Any suggestions? My personal favorite is the Fenix 16340.

Is there a good rule of thumb to use in deciding whether to use a primary versus rechargeable battery in a given device? (For example, I spoke to someone who was out of town when a dead battery triggered his home alarm system.) Is it better to use primary rather than rechargeable batteries in security-related devices? A rechargeable 16340 battery charges up to 4.20v.........whereas a new CR123A voltage starts at 3.30v. So yes lots of equipment may not be designed to use the 16340. Need to consult the manual or technical support for the device. As far as flashlights go, nowadays, a lot of makers support both battery types. But you do need to know before hand otherwise a 16340 battery may damage it.

I'd probably stick with a CR123A in the home alarm system because of the higher initial capacity. A 16340 battery typically is only 650mAh. When a protected 16340 battery gets to 2.50v it shuts off whereas a CR123A will just die more gradually. If the length of time that a battery lasts in the home security system is a year or so, I wouldn't bother with any potential savings of using a 16340. Again need to check if the manufacturer would even allow a 4.2v battery.

Hope that helps. :)

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lowes has the best local price for Surefire CR123's if you are in the US, but online is going to be cheaper if you shop around - I recommend 123's made in the USA from a reputable dealer, brand doesn't matter, they are all made in the same American factory. Stay away from Chinese 123's, as there have been safety concerns with these.

For rechargeables I use K2 Energy LiFePo cells because they are only a little higher Voltage than non rechargeable CR123's and charge them in a Xtar VP2 charger (you need a charger with a setting for LiFePo cells).

I would also stick with the CR123's for alarm systems and for flashlights that don't get used that much or get stored in a vehicle.

FlashlightFun

Newly Enlightened
hiuintahs and xxo -

It's great to have such knowledgeable/helpful members on this forum. I appreciate that you not only answered my questions... but provided detailed reasons supporting/explaining your suggestions/tips.

It's good to know that you don't have to purchase the most expensive brand to obtain quality CR-123A batteries. (I recently saw packages of Duracell 123 batteries at a local hardware store for $6.99/battery.)

As soon as I can find a few minutes, I will be looking into the suggestions that were made in this thread.

Thanks again for your help!

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
hiuintahs and xxo -

It's great to have such knowledgeable/helpful members on this forum. I appreciate that you not only answered my questions... but provided detailed reasons supporting/explaining your suggestions/tips.

It's good to know that you don't have to purchase the most expensive brand to obtain quality CR-123A batteries. (I recently saw packages of Duracell 123 batteries at a local hardware store for $6.99/battery.)

As soon as I can find a few minutes, I will be looking into the suggestions that were made in this thread.

Thanks again for your help!

Yeah, supermarket Duracells/Energizer CR123As are spendy. Lowes has SF two packs that are ~$5. Battery Station versions are the Panasonic USA and usually cheaper at around $1.50.

Lastly, depending on the light in question, you can switch over to lithium-ions. As an example, if you have SF lights that take 2 CR123As in series, a 16650 might work well and would be cheaper.

Most modern lights will take the 18650s, or two CR123As, so we're good there, but SF was late to the party and some lights like my 6P need to be bored out for the 18650, or as I do, just grab a 16650.

I'm a proponent of rechargeable cells/batteries, so that's where my bias lies. I do need to use quality primary CR123As in my ADT alarm system, so I buy the good stuff when needed.

Chris

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
One thing to keep in mind when doing the primary/rechargeable consideration is if the light in question uses two CR123 cells (or more, ala Surefire C3) the voltage difference between the two becomes magnified. Even the 3.7v LiFePO4 cells are higher voltage than CR123s, and when they are stacked, the difference becomes even greater.

When you are dealing with AA and AAA lights, people will tell you that a 10440/14500 rechargeable cell will work better even if the manufacturer does not state that it is acceptable to use such cells. Be careful. One, it may work just fine. Two, it may work for a while but the electronics will failure more rapidly due to the extra stress due to the higher voltage. And three, you may immediately let the Magic Blue Smoke out, at which time the light turns into an interesting paper weight. If you want to experiment, that's fine. Just keep in mind what might happen. And my Surefire 6P and G2s work just find with a 16650 without boring out the body.

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
Although many devices that use "123" batteries are sold with a Duracell 123 battery... replacement batteries tend to be both very expensive and difficult to find locally. Any suggests on the best places to purchase them?

I was surprised to discover both Duracell and Surefire batteries in one store. The Surefire ones were significantly less expensive than the Duracell ones. Does the price difference reflect a significant difference in product quality?

I'd also like to find high quality rechargeable 123 batteries as well as a high quality battery charger. (I'd prefer a battery charger that can handle a variety of different types of batteries, if possible.) Any suggestions?

Is there a good rule of thumb to use in deciding whether to use a primary versus rechargeable battery in a given device? (For example, I spoke to someone who was out of town when a dead battery triggered his home alarm system.) Is it better to use primary rather than rechargeable batteries in security-related devices?

I've got a Jetbeam Jet II MK that I've been using daily for 6 months. It can run on CR123 primaries or 16340 rechargeable Li Ion batteries. It actually came in an Amazon deal for $29.99 with a Jetbeam 16340, although I can't seem to find that deal anymore. I'll do my best to NEVER use a CR123 in this light.

The best place to buy CR123 batteries is online, at reliable sources like batteryjunction. They are MUCH cheaper. Buy Panasonic for $1.45 or even Titanium Innovations for $1.10

https://www.batteryjunction.com/pri-cr123a.html

Sos24

Enlightened
As others have said, there are several good brands of CR123 and you will usually find better deals online than in stores. My preference are Panasonic or Surefire which are both made in the same factory and essentially the same battery with a different label. From my experience it seems Duracell or Energizer are going to more expensive but are not any better than the Surefire or Panasonic.

The most common rechargeable version are 16340s, but with these you need to make sure that your devise can handle the higher voltage of up to 4.2v. As far as 16340s, I usually use Fenix, but have heard that Nitecore are also good. If your devices can't handle 16340, the RCR123 LiFePO4 is an option but not all chargers will charge these. As far as chargers, XTAR and Nitecore seem to be two of the better brands with lots of options. I have a XTAR VC4 and a Nitecore D2. The D2 supports LiFePO4, but the VC4 does mot.

As far as difference, other than the obvious environmental advantage of rechargeable, a big factor to be aware of is the rechargeable have significantly less capacity than the primaries. If you are willing to frequently charge the batteries than it is not a big deal and eventual save money with rechargeables. Just swap out and recharge the batteries when you suspect they are getting low rather than wait for them to go dead. If it is something that you do not want to have to change batteries as frequently for, then primaries are better.

magellan

Honorary Aussie
Great information all, thanks! I have a lot of lights that use this size and this is all useful info for me.