In 2018, which brands of rechargeable LSD, AA, AAA(etc) batteries are good? Best?

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have never owned any NiMH rechargeable batteries other than standard Eneloops(AA), Eneloop XX(AA) and Tenergy Centura(AAA). All my rechargeable NiMH batteries are 6 years old, and still working. I use and charge the AAA Tenergy Centuras far more often than the Eneloop AA's I own.

I will have to start replacing them soon, so once again I became curious as to which brands are good(and which are best now). I have difficulty finding recent information about the quality of Powerex Immedion batteries. Maybe there are other, newer brands of LSD NiMH batteries of good, consistent quality(??).

I guess it's also possible that the brands that were good in 2012, may have suffered a reduction in quality(??). Are Tenergy Centuras still good? Has the Sanyo/Panasonic merger had any effect on Eneloop design or quality?

I hoped that this thread would become a recent source of NiMH LSD advice and information about what to buy and what to avoid. Thanks

Last edited:

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
For AA's and AAA's, I think Japanese Eneloops and rebranded Japanese Eneloops are still the best - at least I have not seen anything that would make me switch. Centuras seem to be good but not as good as Eneloops. Eneloop has started making some of their cells in China, which are not considered as good as the Japanese versions; so far they have been shipping the Japanese ones to the USA, Japan and Europe, but it may be something to look out for in the future. Fujitsu's parent now owns the Eneloop plant in Japan and markets cells under the Fujitsu brand, rebranded Eneloops and/or Eneloop Pros can be had with Ikea Ladda, Duracell Ion Core, Energizer Recharge Plus and Amazon Basics labels - so long as they are made in Japan and Low self discharge, they are all good.

Last edited:

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
After almost seven years, I'm pretty much sticking with Eneloop standard 2000mAh AAs and 800mAh AAAs (or the Fujitsu equivalents.)

In the beginning, I bought Sanyo Japan 2700s, AccuPower 2900s/1200s, PowerEx Imedion 2300s, Energizer Japan 2300s, Duracell DuraLoop 2000mAh, and GP ReCyKos. The latter three have been good for me, but I'll confine myself to the former, going forward. I don't need the extra capacity/shorter cycles of the 2500s.

Chris

Big_S

Newly Enlightened
I only buy the Ikea Ladda 2450 (AA) and Ladda 900 (AAA) now, for me they seem to have the same performance as Eneloop Pro but at less than half the cost!