OLIGHT BIG-HITTERS - my opinion/comparison

Arif

Newly Enlightened
oOzsQXk.jpg

JiYENk5.jpg

[Later that afternoon...!]

So - from left to right, we have the X9R, SR95, SR96, X7R

As you can see from my signature (will update) - I've always tried to keep up with the larger Olights.

I've always been extremely impressed with the execution of these lights by Olight - almost as though no expense spared - perfection for its own sake, within reason. And - much as with lasers - you get ones which win the wattage war, but fail in terms of duty cycle, etc - i.e. cheaper stuff can sometimes be executed 'for the required headline' - rather than necessarily in order to create something worth having, owning, ogling.

I come from film cameras, and I use the EOS 1V - it's the same part of me that appreciates that as a feat of perfection and engineering, as which allows these Olights into my life. Not to sound too off my rocker - but they are objects of beauty in a way.

So on to actual comparisons!!

One lesson I learned quickly - was the difference between flood and throw! The SR90 before all this fed into this epiphany for me too.

I have woods and forest nearby to walk in, but also which open up into large tracts of land, and large bodies of water. So one walk can literally take me from needing a flooder for the walk, to thrower to spot things in the distance.

One major lesson overall - is even where a flooder can achieve the intensity/candela of a thrower - it's much less useful for when you are indeed trying to see something in the distance. The inevitable wall of light/atmospheric scattering will degrade too badly any view of the thing that has been lit in the distance. So throwers to my mind really have their place - spotting things of interest in the distance. So as far as this comparison-piece goes - the only thrower is the SR95, and it's fantastic at that. A narrow beam which lands with very decent intensity at the other end. Also, for where you don't want to broadcast yourself, or wish to be a bit subtle about what you're doing - the SR95 will make an defined tunnel of light, leaving all else around essentially still dark.

So now on to the other three - I'm classifying them all as flooders - 'walking' torches.

We immediately now come up against the factor where too many lumens for a flooder, means that with your immediate surroundings and ground over-lit - all you've got is an excess of foreground brightness, and with the background/surroundings made even more dark as your pupils contract. One really important thing here to my mind - is colour temperature. The X7R is great, but turned up it gets less useful quite quickly - just blinds you. The SR96 is actually decidedly warm, almost to the point of my thinking i'd ordered a 'warm/neutral' light. So said warmth allows for the light to be and go brighter, but still be useful - it lights more before it blinds. I'm aware that the X7R goes up to 12000 Lumens - but I'm comparing when they're both putting out about 4800 Lumens (top for the SR96, mid for the X7R).

So there I am with an excellent pair of walking torches - and the 'just for fun' super-thrower. I didn't see a need or justification for another torch - especially as let's say all the X9R did was more of the same of the X7R - it'd just be more pointless floody wall-of-light'ness going on - lumens for the sake of them. For a thrower - one can possibly see never-ending advantages of increased lumens/intensity - but for a flooder, you reach the useful limits pretty quickly.

Now bear in mind all of this is because I've used the SR96 maxed-out (never quite seemed like 'too much' light - not at 4800 Lumens) - and it's the X7R causing me to dismiss a flooder which goes beyond 12000 Lumens.

On to the revelation - the X9R just, somehow, stupendously mixes all the prowess and practicality of the SR96 - with a heck of a lot more light put out than the X7R!! This is definitely because the light is relatively warm - basically cool flooders beyond 10000 Lumens are pointless, to my mind - unless you have an exceptionally clear atmosphere. Its beam profile is just perfect ('soft') and difficult to describe (will try to take photos at some point). The SR96 beam was quite 'torchy' - hot spot, spill - distinguishable. The X7R is close, but the spill is still less - and for walking at night spill is king.

Put another way - the X9R has just made redundant my X7R and SR96!! It's everything the SR96 is and more/better - and because of colour temperature (punching through the night, but maintaining clarity) - has definitely made the X7R redundant. Of course - the X7R wins on compactness and form-factor - but take that away and the X9R is just the dog's danglies!!!

I'd gotten the X9R for the sake of having it - I fully expected it to be 'neat' but pointless, given it was a flooder.

I am blown away and don't feel at all silly or guilty now for the purchase!!

That's my two pennies on the matter - and I know my post puts a lot of credit cards and bank accounts at risk!!

Arif

Last edited:

RCLumens

Enlightened
Definitely looking forward to this review(s) and hearing your thoughts! That looks like an older SR95 with the SST 90? I've had the SR 96, SR95sUT and landed and kept the SR95. I'm wondering your thoughts on the X9. Have read reviews and watched vids, but the comparison would be great, especially on your take of the 25K lumens to get the 100K or so lux on a target. Does the 25K lumens wash out your eye sight since everything closer to you is going to be incredibly bright, so even though it throws to approx 100K lux, does the SR 95 seem brighter at distance since there's less surrounding light? Or does it not even matter? Thank you in advance and for sharing your thought with CPF!

Arif

Newly Enlightened
Definitely looking forward to this review(s) and hearing your thoughts! That looks like an older SR95 with the SST 90? I've had the SR 96, SR95sUT and landed and kept the SR95. I'm wondering your thoughts on the X9. Have read reviews and watched vids, but the comparison would be great, especially on your take of the 25K lumens to get the 100K or so lux on a target. Does the 25K lumens wash out your eye sight since everything closer to you is going to be incredibly bright, so even though it throws to approx 100K lux, does the SR 95 seem brighter at distance since there's less surrounding light? Or does it not even matter? Thank you in advance and for sharing your thought with CPF!

Fantastic set of questions buddy! Main thing I think not covered by my post above: SR95 versus X9R on max - so the starting-point is a large tree very much in the distance, easily 650/700 metres. Alone lit nicely by the SR95. Now - very specifically watching the very same tree as I swap light-sources - the 'clarity' of the view is incredibly *not* destroyed by the X9R's max output (yes it is ramping all the way up - batteries fully charged!) - and as far as that tree is concerned, it is marginally less bright than the SR95 made it. This essentially bears-out the candela figures of 129000 for the SR95, versus 99000 for the X9R - interesting to see the difference in the real world.

Last edited:

Arif

Newly Enlightened
...That looks like an older SR95 with the SST 90?

Yup it is. I never went for the UT version, as I felt 'robbed' by it having fewer lumens, albeit greater candela - it felt a bit like being given the same torch with a magnifying glass stuck in front, saying 'Here you go - throws further now'.

Arif

Newly Enlightened
Also - throwers win where you want to 'check out' something in the near-ground or distance - and where to do so doesn't mean bludgeoning your eyeballs with superfluous light and also destroying your night vision.

nitebrite

Enlightened
How many Lumens are these? I can only imagine lol. I only just got a S1-TI LE. The quality is as good as I would ever want. I mean like McGizmo or HDS. Not trolling. It is that good (to me). I imagine the big ones follow in the quality dept. In fact I would not be surprised if they are nicer than my Dominator UDR. Not kidding. You don't have to pay more. Olight and Fenix are top quality stuff. maybe others I don't know. It is an example of overseas making super quality+value. I would like a big one but need to know which is most Lumens in flood? Do they take 123, 18650 or what? Thanks for sharing your experience with them.

Arif

Newly Enlightened
How many Lumens are these? I can only imagine lol. I only just got a S1-TI LE. The quality is as good as I would ever want. I mean like McGizmo or HDS. Not trolling. It is that good (to me). I imagine the big ones follow in the quality dept. In fact I would not be surprised if they are nicer than my Dominator UDR. Not kidding. You don't have to pay more. Olight and Fenix are top quality stuff. maybe others I don't know. It is an example of overseas making super quality+value. I would like a big one but need to know which is most Lumens in flood? Do they take 123, 18650 or what? Thanks for sharing your experience with them.

So Lumens alone as a thing is almost meaningless in a way - but to answer the question the X9R is 25,000 Lumens. It's a flooder. Incredibly and inexplicably - they're utterly usable Lumens from this beast!!

I totally agree with you about the quality and the execution - also, good to know that someone would speak of Olight in the same breath as McGizmo or HDS, as I know those and those of their ilk represent the pinnacle of flashlight design and engineering (I'm led to understand). I do sometimes think also that a 'large' as opposed to a boutique company will have greater scope to produce something of superlative engineering, on account of available resources alone - however, that's just a random notion in my head!

Batteries - the X9R takes its own proprietary battery-pack (it's an extractable sealed unit, with 8 18650s inside), the X7R similar story, but it's sealed-for-life I'm pretty sure - battery-pack not accessible, 4x18650 inside. The SR95 & 96 - their whole 'handle' is a sealed-for-life battery-pack, filled with 18650s - I think 6.

Arif

Newly Enlightened
You know you're in the territory of high quality/no corners cut when the glass is so clear that you have to double-take that it even has any! (I'm into Canon L-glass - so am pretty fussy about optical clarity)

RCLumens

Enlightened
Arif, Thank you x1M that is awesome info and very very helpful!! There's a lot of great info out there and in-depth reviews, but it's also helpful to have the basic here's what I really think as well. Obviously opinions are opinions, but yours are logical to my experiences, so thank you!! Yeah, the SR96 was a very very good light, and the tint was indeed great as you say. When I sold it, part of me kinda regretted it...But I had just so many that weren't being used...Same for the SR95sUT - so I did wind up getting that one and it was cool to see nearly 5 seconds into the future if someone were driving 30 mph, but it was a thin beam... Hence sold that one and was on the hunt for a regular SR 95 which at this time was almost gone. I manged to find one with the newer blue O-ring at the bezel and I think it's a pretty good balance, but certainly throw heavy...
The X9 now has my interest, especially given your feedback in that it still allows you to see the distance. Am curious, how you find the throw of the X9 on the lower modes as well - again from a usefulness standpoint. Let's say 2K or 3K lumen range - can you get 15-20K lux or so? (Not looking for lux numbers per say, but if you happen to have an Olight M22 which throws something like 20K at 1K lumens on full. I already got more info from you than I was hoping for, so thank you thank you! I might have to go get into trouble and spend on the X9....Cheers RC

Arif

Newly Enlightened
RC buddy - no worries! So although as you've guessed I don't have the means to be quite that specific - but put it like this: I have been used to the idea that powerful flooders are pointless, for all the reasons above. Now - the neutrality & heck quality of the tint seems to achieve something almost magical - it's almost like (as you ramp up from Low) turning the sun up from sunrise to near-daylight. As in - the light falls everywhere beautifully, & does not 'overwhelm' - but equally, night has just been turned into day! I was seriously expecting not to like this light (expecting the guilt that goes with buying something basically useless) - but sheesh, the tint overturns the rules as I knew them. This is now going to be my go-to walking light. I'm already used to carrying by strap on (across) the shoulder. I use OpTech quick-release camera straps.

Arif

Newly Enlightened
Further - you asked about throw as one goes up in power. Here's the thing also - I'm used to the light 'reaching' further the brighter you turn the torch up - usual, no? However - with the X9R - when it's say dim, it's actually more that that thing in the distance *was already lit, albeit dimly* - very, very much like turning up the rising sun. The light is everywhere very early on - thereafter you are simply lighting 'everything' up more & more. It does seem to defy the laws of physics - but so does the statement that warmer light punches through the night better than cold light.

Arif

Newly Enlightened
I must add that my testing has been on clear nights. If you have lots of particulate pollution (we get it a lot after wheat harvesting) - then much of this may not follow.

Arif

Newly Enlightened
And yes indeed - I started this thread mainly to provide the info & angles that I myself wanted but could not easily find. It's why I didn't call this a 'review'.

Renegadethreads

Newly Enlightened
I'm just glad someone has had a good experience with Olight. I've had multiple lemons and the worst customer service ever. The few I have left we're bought from SkyLumen and that is likely the only way I would have any of this brand in the future. Vinh could teach Olight a lot about customer service and quality control.

RCLumens

Enlightened
I'm just glad someone has had a good experience with Olight. I've had multiple lemons and the worst customer service ever. The few I have left we're bought from SkyLumen and that is likely the only way I would have any of this brand in the future. Vinh could teach Olight a lot about customer service and quality control.

Make that 2... I've been using plights since the m20s came out. Got to be close to 9 years. All my current lights are olights. My go to is my m1x, with r50 as Walker and sr 95 for throw, and heavy duty. Once I had an m22 that I sent back due to tail switch malfunction, but I received replacement prior to sending out the faulty. I dealt with their support in Atlanta area. Outside of that, which I think they handled well, I've had no issues.