Bring back the LD02!

Kitchen Panda

Enlightened
I was very disappointed to check out the current offerings from Fenix and see what had happened to the LD02. Now it's got a UV light in it as well as white. This was NOT what I was clamoring for. An LD02, in my opinion, is about the ideal every day carry pocket light. It's small, its really bright, it weighs little, and if I'm so reckless as to leave the house without a spare battery for it, I can find replacement AAAs at any gas bar or convenience store. I *never* need a UV light...I have one, but I don't need it, at least not in my pocket every day. If I need a pee detecting light, I'll buy a pee-detecting light.

The new LD02 is heavier, longer, and dimmer than the original. None of this improves it's utility, from my point of view. It's like putting a sun roof on a Kenworth, or BlueTooth on a toaster - it does nothing to improve the basic functionality of an essential tool.

Oh well, they might have spoiled the brightness and size, but at least they made it butt-ugly, as well. Two-tone finish is another bad idea, again, my estimation.

Someone else makes a light that has the same feature set as the original LD02 - someone else will be getting my money.

Oh, and I'm also unhappy about momentary light level outputs being advertised as the rated output of a lgiht. This is the way Sears marketed air compressors, and we all know what happened to Sears.

Bill

Tesla

Enlightened
The original LD02 is still available on Bright Guy. Lumintop Tool AAA ticks most of the same boxes that original LD02 did if you're looking for other alternatives.

SleepyInTheSun

Newly Enlightened
Still available on the manufacturers website also, that is the "LD02" as distinct from the "LD02 V2.0".

That said, if I could read the writing on the wall effectively I would probably have a couple of LD01s stashed as spares!

PartyPete

Enlightened
The old LD02 is still available, although I wish they'd drop the price at this point. It's a solid light nonetheless and I agree the new version didn't do much to improve it. It looks nice but I wish they would just make a separate line of UV lights instead of just incorporating them into random models.

jalcon

Newly Enlightened
About 4 years ago, I got a random private message from someone claiming to want to give me a free Lumintop TD16. I thought it was a scam, and when I went to reply, it said account was banned. Suspicion confirmed. So I thought? This person then messaged me AGAIN like 3 months later, said just give me your address I'll send you a brand new one. Whatever..fine. Forgot about it about 6 months later I got the brand new, unopened luminox TD16 (Like 100 bucks on amazon at the time). It's been a great light. Weird, lol.

archimedes

Flashaholic
About 4 years ago, I got a random private message from someone claiming to want to give me a free Lumintop TD16. I thought it was a scam, and when I went to reply, it said account was banned. Suspicion confirmed. So I thought? This person then messaged me AGAIN like 3 months later, said just give me your address I'll send you a brand new one. Whatever..fine. Forgot about it about 6 months later I got the brand new, unopened luminox TD16 (Like 100 bucks on amazon at the time). It's been a great light. Weird, lol.
How does this have anything to do with Fenix or the LD02 ?

thermal guy

Flashaholic
I think because you will need a Fenix light to see where he was going with that post😂😂😂

Kitchen Panda

Enlightened
The old LD02 is still available, although I wish they'd drop the price at this point. It's a solid light nonetheless and I agree the new version didn't do much to improve it. It looks nice but I wish they would just make a separate line of UV lights instead of just incorporating them into random models.

I will have to look for it - thanks to all those who pointed out sources that still have the LD02. My original LD02 was an impulse purchase at Mountain Equipment Co Op - I know, serious flashaholics are so disciplined that they never give into temptation like this. But it's the best impulse purchase I've made in years; maybe at least as good as that time I found a Leatherman Charge TTI at a Leatherman Wave price. It's a bit less impulsive to click on "add to cart" and actually follow through with checkout.

Bill