[Review] Olight S1R Baton II

rookiedaddy

Enlightened
Received a new light from Olight a week ago, S1R Baton II, an upgraded S1R (Turbo S). The older S1R (Turbo S) made quite an impression to many flashlight enthusiasts world-wide when it came out. And for a while, it was the light to beat in terms of sheer output for its size: 900 lumens. Now, Olight not only up the output to 1000 lumens, it has also made some enhancement/improvement based on many of our feedback.

First, let's take a look at the specifications:
AGeEDOO.jpg

and the box it comes in.
HkZ0n2z.jpg

qWqxOdB.jpg

upon pulling out the inset from the box, a yellow "READ ME" note will grab your attention.
PrdiMRO.jpg

what's included in S1R Baton II package:
kVfvnCN.jpg

S1R Baton II flashlight, MCC II charger, User Manual, small pouch, wrist-yard, and a convenient storage box for the battery. Note that the battery is pre-installed in the S1R Baton II. Oh ya, and a thank you note too... LOL!

the User Manual
7yEr3VW.jpg

and a link to view the higher resolution of the User Manual
https://imgur.com/5yd17AB.jpg

a few pictures of the S1R Baton II...
QfAkNHY.jpg

rMuyTKK.jpg

YdlHI1T.jpg

It seems Olight has started to make this a standard feature of their blue bezel ring flashlight, the max output, in this case 1000 lumens, the colour temperature, CCT 6500K, and the CRI value, 70-CRI are laser edged on the bezel.

a top-down look at the bezel ring
T1A8KcC.jpg

now, a couple of things about UI on this S1R Baton II:
  • The UI is very much the trial and proven S-series UI, no surprises here
  • Single click to switch On or Off the S1R Baton II
  • The main mode cycle is Low, Medium and High, mode are cycle through long press of the side switch
  • Direct access to Turbo 1000 lumens by double-clicking in any mode (including from Off)
  • Direct access to Strobe by triple-clicking in any mode (including from Off)
  • From Off, long press (~2 seconds) to access Moon-mode, 0.5 lumens
  • From Off, long press (~3 seconds) to activate Electronic Lockout. If you think counting to 3 seconds is not cool, then you can continue to hold the side switch when the light turned-on in Moon-mode and let go when it turned-off.
  • To deactivate Electronic Lockout, long press (~2 seconds) until you get Moon-mode. Or you could loosen the body half turn and tighten it back, the Electronic Lockout will be disengaged due to current cut-off.

There are 2 off-timer functions on this S1R Baton II:
  • A single flash signal a short 3 minutes off-timer is in effect, while double flash signal a long 9 minutes off-timer is in effect.
  • From On, double-click and hold the side switch to engaged one of the two off-timer.
  • Repeat the double-click and hold to alternate between the 2 off-timer

let's continue with some pictures of the light... here is the same familiar tail end of Olight's rechargeable flashlight.
lhxNVIB.jpg

the force is strong with this one... (magnetic that is)

what is different though, is this new S1R Baton II unscrew at the body. The tail and body is a single piece.
0MR6jHs.jpg

yes, don't forget to remove the yellow insulating film before using.

here are the two piece construction of S1R Baton II
kmLe02c.jpg

inside the body is the positive and negative terminal contact
BGFTXxK.jpg

C3vrZZT.jpg

together with the spring at the head, this 2 springs design should provide more cushioning against drop and bump compare to the older S1R (Turbo S).

The new MCC II charger
4xSa8gv.jpg

RtPIt1k.jpg

ja7Yn6l.jpg

this new MCC II charger provides much faster charging compare to the older MCC as it charges in higher current.
2ulayWu.jpg

when finish charging, current drops to zero.
MPEaLvO.jpg

they have also change the indicator and I think this is a nicer touch...
QqvRH7Z.jpg

it turns Red when in-charging...

pPmR8bO.jpg

and green when charging completed.

qc5sjRI.jpg

time taken from 2.85V to 4.2V

A couple of close-up picture of S1R Baton II
Hq75cIb.jpg

notice the small LED indicator at the switch? it is the new battery level indicator. btw, looks at that aggressive knurling... such a beauty!

SZqiShQ.jpg

Green means battery has >60% of juice.

hrTu23g.jpg

Olight says this is Yellow, but it looks more like Orange to me... this colour indicate there are 10%-60% juice left in the battery.

Eq5so5O.jpg

No question here, a Red means absolute low juice level and you should charge up the battery as soon as possible.

This new LED indicator will stayed On automatically whenever you switch-on the S1R Baton II in all modes EXCEPT the Moon mode. Not sure why Olight decides to left out the Moon mode but it is what it is.

Following picture 2 years worth of Olight S-seris flashlight releases (missing S10R III here as I have give-away the unit):
3sMHnll.jpg

from left, S1 Baton, S1R Baton (Turbo S), S Mini Baton, S1 Mini Baton, and S1R Baton II

and a quick comparison with the older S1R (Turbo S)
7EHHF4X.jpg

oNTWVFh.jpg

as can be seen here, Olight has manage to shortened the length of S1R Baton II and the height of MCC II.

Difference in TIR
Ppgl66p.jpg

Comparing the battery of S1R Baton II and S1R (Turbo S)
hiP56WE.jpg

top is S1R Baton II battery, ORB-16C05-10C

0pjar1h.jpg

FhPPP0d.jpg

see the plastic disc surrounding the button top on the ORB-16C05-10C (on the right)? We will not be able to charge this new IMR battery in normal flat contact charger like those offering from XTAR. We will however still be able to charge this new battery in those charger with contact nipple (e.g. NiteCore chargers).

My measured output of S1R Baton II
NOTMnoL.jpg

The usual disclaimer: I do not claim the above measured lumens as authoritative nor an indication of over/under-stating the number given by manufacturer. It's calibrated against some known light output (e.g. SureFire, Elzetta, etc.) so take it with a grain of salt and just as a relative reading.

Small changes in Moon-mode output, left is older S1R (Turbo S), right is S1R Baton II
G785FBU.jpg

Notice that there are no ripple (PWM) on the newer S1R Baton II in Moon mode.

and now, some runtime test
mYHGckz.jpg

let's zoomed-in to the first few minutes of the runtime test
xlOdcnL.jpg

well, I do get about a minute of Turbo 1000 (or 1100 lumens as measured) output and it gradually steps down to 300 lumens (or ~335 lumens) on it's way to 1.5 minutes.
Note that these runtime test are not fan-cool. It runs in room temperature of ~26°C.
and yes, upon stepping down from Turbo, you can immediately double-click and get another run at Turbo mode again. WARNING! watch out for the heat, it might burn your hand.

next, the runtime test in High mode
IWbmIre.jpg

for High mode, I also did a runtime test using Olight's primary CR123A battery. The first minute or so of the runtime is similar to Turbo mode where it gradually drops to 300 lumens (~335 lumens) between 1 to 1.5 minutes.

I'm quite impressed with the runtime on primary CR123A as it gives ~80 minutes of 300 lumens output and another ~45 minutes of very usable 80 lumens output (where just a decade ago, this 80 lumens is consider a tactical output).

In conclusion, I think Olight has another winner here besides the M1T Raider. Not only because it reaches 1000 lumens output, but the aggressive knurling, faster charging, improved(?) IMR battery and the battery level indicator all pointing to a manufacturer who are constantly listening to users' feedback and making improvements to their offering.

(pssst, but I do wish they would lower the retail price tho...) :poke:

(?) Please see 2018.09.22 updates in post #9

2018.09.24 Small Discharge Testing Update:
  • One significant runtime difference between S1R Baton (Turbo S) and S1R Baton II is S1R Baton (Turbo S) will switch off on ORB-163C05 Low Voltage (battery Over-discharge) Protection kicks-in, while the new S1R Baton II will turn itself off when ORB-16C05-10C is at ~2.4V (underload). In other words, this new S1R Baton II has battery Over-discharge Protection built-in.
  • When S1R Baton II battery Over-discharge protection kicks-in, the protection can be reset by connecting S1R Baton II to the MCC II. At ~3.5V, it will be reset as you can start the light back on.
  • The S1R Baton II battery Over-discharge Protection can be bypass (highly not recommended, unless you absolutely urgently need some lights) by loosening the body and tightening it back on, you should be able to get Low and possibly Medium Mode. However, note that the in-light Over-discharge Protection may not be activated as can be acknowledged via the non-functioning of the battery level indicator at the electronic side-switch.
  • If you go the bypass route, do take note that your battery, in this case, ORB-16C05-10C will be discharge as low as possible. I stop my discharge test when it reaches 1.8V underload to not risk further damaging the battery.

btw, just in case you are wondering, Olight has taken away the "feature" to light FIRE using steel wool in this new S1R Baton II. The exposed contacts at tailend has limited current, measured at ~2.4mA on my meter.

. -. -.. / --- ..-. / ..- .--. -.. .- - . ...

Last edited:

frigide

Newly Enlightened
Did would be the perfect light lot of lm, lanyard hole, small, exept the ... tail magnet. So disappointed. 😭 They should sale a battery body without magnet and tail charging.

Last edited:

cumeche

Newly Enlightened
Great review, thanks!
Wish they would have retained the 300 lm level... or at least something between 60 and 600! Think they will do a firmware update like last time? I'm tempted to wait and see if they do. I wonder how common that practice is...
Also a bit bummed about the lower runtimes at levels common to the S1R Turbo S. Some of them took a significant hit from the first, would have expected the opposite.

jmsodpc

Newly Enlightened
i rarely have the need for a flashlight and my keychain thrunite usually does the trick....but i want this one.
i just happened to be websearching today and saw this one and realized there is a deal for it next week on their site.

looks like next friday i will be $50 poorer.

frigide

Newly Enlightened
i rarely have the need for a flashlight and my keychain thrunite usually does the trick....but i want this one.
i just happened to be websearching today and saw this one and realized there is a deal for it next week on their site.

looks like next friday i will be $50 poorer.

Do the keys don't stick to the light when you put the light to your keys?

rookiedaddy

Enlightened
thanks for the kind words guys. :)

just to add a little bit more info about the battery from S1R (Turbo S) and S1R Baton II.
You can use the older S1R battery (ORB-163C05) in the new S1R Baton II, but you can't use the newer S1R Baton II battery (ORB-16C05-10C) in the older S1R due to physical design change at the battery. The black disc around the ORB-16C05-10C is blocking contact and confirmed via no Voltage reading at the exposed tailcap contacts with the older S1R.

rookiedaddy

Enlightened
due to my curiosity... I ran 2 more runtime test against the older S1R and S1R battery -- ORB-163C05 and I'm surprise by the results... I guess what I'm posting below may upset certain quarter... haha... anyway, here goes... first, I perform a runtime test using older S1R Baton to give a comparison of how the high mode on this new S1R Baton II stack against the older S1R Baton...
9uSJmrm.png

Looks like no surprises here, the lower output of S1R (2016) resulted in longer runtime for the battery.

and next, I use the older model ORB-163C05 battery (note this is a fresh new battery never used before to give a fair comparison) in the new S1R Baton II, and following is the results:
ZMLSedA.png

errr... so... hmmm... it looks like I need to stand corrected, now I'm not so sure about the improvement to the IMR battery... (question remains if the new ORB-16C05-10C is more durable? 10C discharge claim? or...), from the chart, you can clearly see that the older ORB-163C05 gives a bit longer runtime, ~4 minutes longer. :shrug:

cumeche

Newly Enlightened
wondering why the common brightened level ringtones are so different, e.g., moonlight at 8 days now from 15 previously, etc. Have they traded battery efficiency for some other benefit?

mortuus

Newly Enlightened
wondering why the common brightened level ringtones are so different, e.g., moonlight at 8 days now from 15 previously, etc. Have they traded battery efficiency for some other benefit?

because it was measured with the included 550mah battery, for 15days u need use the batteries that u cant recharge then u may get almost double runtime...

rookiedaddy

Enlightened
2018.09.24 Small Discharge Testing Update:
  • One significant runtime difference between S1R Baton (Turbo S) and S1R Baton II is S1R Baton (Turbo S) will switch off on ORB-163C05 Low Voltage (battery Over-discharge) Protection kicks-in, while the new S1R Baton II will turn itself off when ORB-16C05-10C is at ~2.4V (underload). In other words, this new S1R Baton II has battery Over-discharge Protection built-in.
  • When S1R Baton II battery Over-discharge protection kicks-in, the protection can be reset by connecting S1R Baton II to the MCC II. At ~3.5V, it will be reset as you can start the light back on.
  • The S1R Baton II battery Over-discharge Protection can be bypass (highly not recommended, unless you absolutely urgently need some lights) by loosening the body and tightening it back on, you should be able to get Low and possibly Medium Mode. However, note that the in-light Over-discharge Protection may not be activated as can be acknowledged via the non-functioning of the battery level indicator at the electronic side-switch.
  • If you go the bypass route, do take note that your battery, in this case, ORB-16C05-10C will be discharge as low as possible. I stop my discharge test when it reaches 1.8V underload to not risk further damaging the battery.

btw, just in case you are wondering, Olight has taken away the "feature" to light FIRE using steel wool in this new S1R Baton II. The exposed contacts at tailend has limited current, measured at ~2.4mA on my meter.

. -. -.. / --- ..-. / ..- .--. -.. .- - . ...

Last edited:

cumeche

Newly Enlightened
because it was measured with the included 550mah battery, for 15days u need use the batteries that u cant recharge then u may get almost double runtime...

I'm referencing the stated runtimes on the Olight website, I'm assuming they used the included batteries for each since they state the turbo output which can't be attained with ordinary CR123.

S1R Turbo S:
0.5 lm - 15 days
12 lm - 33 hours
60 lm -4.5 hours
300 lm - 1 hour
600 (300) lm - 55 min (1.5 min)
900 (300) lm - 50 min (1.5 min)

S1R II:
0.5 lm - 8 days
12 lm - 20 hours
60 lm -3 hours 40 min
600 (300) lm - 45 min (1.5 min)
1000 (300) lm - 37 min (1.5 min)

So what's concerning is at 0.5 lumen, the runtime is reduced by half, and for 12 lumen more than half. Shouldn't a more modern light using the same battery capacity have a better runtime? Those are tremendous drops and I'm at a real loss to see a reason for them. Can anyone shed some light on what's happening here?

rookiedaddy

Enlightened
my local distributor just received their stock of ORB-16C05-10C, bought 2 as spares. I was waiting to get my hands on these spares as backup to start verifying runtime on the lowest mode of 0.5 lumen. I'm basically in the opinion that doing this test has detrimental effects to the battery...
Jtu8WsE.jpg

will report back in a week or two of the test results. :grin2:

rookiedaddy

Enlightened
woke up this morning to a new line up of S1R Baton II, sharing a few pictures from Olight...

6TPH8R9.png

anOjDDK.jpg

KVCYYhk.png

yeah... I really want that Winter edition... warm white... so fitting...

lxSFZse.png

Nokoff

Enlightened
Lol they even have the season written on them. I also like that bead blasted ww! Luckily I just got my bead blasted Reylight with 26 trits so I might be able to resist this one. You can get all five for 480

SNES

Newly Enlightened
Not a big fan of this new Olight design language. I don't need "eternal" written on my flashlight. Between that and this new knurling I'm not really feeling it.