SunwayLED        

Thread: Help me make my HDS EDC Ultimate 60 XR 18650 Compatible

Default Help me make my HDS EDC Ultimate 60 XR 18650 Compatible

Hey guys. Moltenmag here. I recently purchased the necessary components to make my EDC Ultimate 60 take 18650s. I know there is a previous forum on this topic but all the pictures are gone. I have the brass bar, and the spring, tube, and AW 18650 battery (pics below). Appreciate any help on this. Pictures welcome.

Default Re: Help me make my HDS EDC Ultimate 60 XR 18650 Compatible

Toss the spring away you donít need that.ill try and find the post that hogo had

Well shit all pictures are gone.!!!
    Last edited by thermal guy; 09-25-2018 at 05:34 PM.
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

You have to cut the brass shim just right put a small bend on the bottom to go under the positive side of the battery but dont touch the positive part of the battery and it must be even with battery tube on negative side.

Looks like you might have it backwards but I canít tell 100 percent. But bent ends goes towards the light engine. Straight end towards the tail.
    Last edited by thermal guy; 09-25-2018 at 05:37 PM.
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

Flashaholic

Moltermag, keep in mind that the spring or in this case if you decide to use the brass bar, carries the signal and not actually battery current.

If the spring free floats around the battery, that should be all you need. However, sometimes the batteries are wide and bind with the spring, in which case the brass bar can be used.

Touch only the outside annular space at each end, stay away from battery terminal which would result in battery short.
    "may you live light and phosphor" - Mr. Spark

It impossible to run a 18650 with the spring. Trust me it will never fit. That is a 16650 tube. The brass shim is the only way. But good point about being careful with the battery and not short it out
    Last edited by thermal guy; 09-22-2018 at 03:39 PM.

Sent ya a pm.

Quote Originally Posted by thermal guy View Post
    Sent ya a pm.
    Replied

Photobucket killed the pictures. I'll see if I can get in there and pull them back up.
    Thor's Hammer Custom Leather
    I'm old, cranky, and don't like private messages. Please don't private message me as that is reserved for moderators giving me warnings that I rightly deserve. Thank you.

Flashaholic

I had a 17650 tube (which looks a lot like the one in the photo) that I was able to use with 18650 batteries and a spring.

As you've already determined, the thickness of spring coils on both sides of a battery was too much to fit but a single coil thickness would fit.

So the hack I devised involved straightening a middle segment of the spring then flattening that segment such that it could freely slide up and down on one side of the battery. In essence the flatened segment is like your brass strip. While the remaining normally coiled spring at either end continue to work like a normal spring, freely adjusting to make contact.

I don't have a photo and sold the 18650 converted tube a while back but it looked something like a dumbell. Coil at one end, then the straight section, and coil at other end.

I hope this helps. Good luck with conversion.

I have been trying to picture this in my head. Just got it. ya! That sounds like a great mod. Iíll have to try that on.

Flashaholic

I have been trying to picture this in my head. Just got it. ya! That sounds like a great mod. Iíll have to try that on.
    I made a crude Photoshop mock-up to help with visualization.

A brass bar of correct length and other alternatives probably work just as well, I can only share that this method worked for my tube picture here (before I sold it) which looks similar to yours.

Yep thatís exactly how I pictured it. I need to try this in one of mine.

Hogo, I can fix them like I did the Shorty and Longman pics if you want. Just set me up like before.

Quote Originally Posted by Hondo View Post
    Hogo, I can fix them like I did the Shorty and Longman pics if you want. Just set me up like before.
    Will do. PM incoming!

Damn I had a lot of photos there! Too bad PB went all... I best not start.
    I'm old, cranky, and don't like private messages. Please don't private message me as that is reserved for moderators giving me warnings that I rightly deserve. Thank you.

That would be awesome Hondo! Once you get them fixed you could post them here too...

Dan,

PM sent back, having problems accessing pics. Original thread found, ready to roll, though. Love this mod and use it a lot, got tubes for all of my old lights!

Another PM, need CPF access specifically.

Flashaholic*

This would be sweet - but I have no idea how I'd shape the spring like that and have it look decent. Someone needs to make nice ones and sell them.

Well, that does look a bit involved. The brass bar is much easier to make, just need to sneak up on the length so it just gets compressed when the tailcap seats, and tweak the head end inward a little to hit the trace on the PCB, but not so far as to short on the inner positive trace. The only downside is it will be floating loose when you open the light to charge the battery, but that is not very often. I still don't see that spring mod working, though, as the 18650 can't get in through the coils on either end.

Another PM, need CPF access specifically.
    Your pm box is full.

How you making out with this mod moltrnmag?

You know now that I think of it HOGO. Can you ask Henry how many 18650 he made for his old lights? U60 U42 B60 ETC. I know there werenít many.

Quote Originally Posted by Hogokansatsukan View Post
    Your pm box is full.
    D'oh, fixed!

And fixed: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...ht=brass%20bar

The one shot of the first (tail) bend when in the tube did not show on IE for me, but who uses that anyway?

You know now that I think of it HOGO. Can you ask Henry how many 18650 he made for his old lights? U60 U42 B60 ETC. I know there werenít many.

Well, I only know about the crap-load that Lighthound ended up with and sold for $5.99, and then $1.99 at the end. I think I could cart over 100 at first. Some thought they were seconds, but neither I nor anyone else who bought them could find a flaw. I wish I had bought enough to have one for every old light I have, but then I can only use one at a time!

Yes got about 8 of them lol but them ainít 18650. They are 2X123/17670. I believe hds only made a very few true 18650ís and fewer 2XAA
    Last edited by thermal guy; 09-25-2018 at 06:53 PM.

Gotcha. Because of Hogo's thread, I tend to think of them as bona-fide 18650 tubes.