NOR test on Lii500 end to early

gadits

Newly Enlightened
Hello everyone
I have some old GP recyko 2000 mAh
And the first time i tried NOR test on the battery
I choose 1000 current and the discharge is 500
The discharge end after only 4 minutes and the display show only 8 mAh (dont remember exactly but very very low mAh)
I took the battery from the charger reinsert it and began the NOR test again
The discharge is now seem to run ok (its already running for 26 minutes and the display is for now 240 mAh and in 1.24V)

I want to know is this normal or my lii500 is faulty?

magellan

Honorary Aussie
Hello and welcome to the forum.

What's NOR?

Anyway, I've seen this sort of behavior before on old batteries with chargers. Sometimes old batteries don't always work right the first time I insert them, and then they seem to work okay the second time.

apagogeas

Enlightened
Assuming this wasn't a contact quirk, if your battery hasn't been used for a long time this could be normal. The battery can develop passivation layers which produce quite a voltage drop during discharge till it gets dissolved and get the battery back to normal. Most of my older batteries which sat unused for more than a year did that on my Lii500 charger on NOR mode. I naturally use the NOR 500mA to be easier on these batteries due to this passivation layers. No faulty Lii500 here.
maggelan, NOR means NORMAL and is a charge->discharge (get capacity)->charge routine in Liitokala 500 to get a capacity reading.

gadits

Newly Enlightened
Assuming this wasn't a contact quirk, if your battery hasn't been used for a long time this could be normal. The battery can develop passivation layers which produce quite a voltage drop during discharge till it gets dissolved and get the battery back to normal. Most of my older batteries which sat unused for more than a year did that on my Lii500 charger on NOR mode. I naturally use the NOR 500mA to be easier on these batteries due to this passivation layers. No faulty Lii500 here.
maggelan, NOR means NORMAL and is a charge->discharge (get capacity)->charge routine in Liitokala 500 to get a capacity reading.

Thank you
It now finished the NOR test after 03:57 hours
The display shows 2224 mAh which is very wierd
I have this battery for almost 6 years and used it alot a few years ago in my xbox 360 controller
This is actualy 2100 rated battery
How come the test gives me even higher mAh after all this years???
Am i doing something wrong?

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try running the NOR test (it stands for "Normal") with a charge of 300mA or 500mA. That will cause the discharge to be fixed at 250mA. For older cells, you don't want to discharge very fast, because their voltage sag will be extremely large. Large voltage sag will cause them to hit the low-voltage level (I think it's 0.9v) too soon, and thus stop the discharge test.

gadits

Newly Enlightened
Try running the NOR test (it stands for "Normal") with a charge of 300mA or 500mA. That will cause the discharge to be fixed at 250mA. For older cells, you don't want to discharge very fast, because their voltage sag will be extremely large. Large voltage sag will cause them to hit the low-voltage level (I think it's 0.9v) too soon, and thus stop the discharge test.

Thank you
But i dont understand the logic on what you wrote
Now the problem is not that the discharge finishes too early
But the opposite, it finishes too late
Because the final reasult i get is 124 mAh more then the real rated capacity of this battery even when it was new
Please try to explain it to me again

apagogeas

Enlightened
Thank you
It now finished the NOR test after 03:57 hours
The display shows 2224 mAh which is very wierd
I have this battery for almost 6 years and used it alot a few years ago in my xbox 360 controller
This is actualy 2100 rated battery
How come the test gives me even higher mAh after all this years???
Am i doing something wrong?

No, you don't do anything wrong. Just keep in mind accurate capacity measurement requires a standard; the closest to this standard is what Maha C9000 do with its break-in routine. Lii500 and other chargers always result in a higher value because of the "capacity" approach they use. I have settled on the 700mA setting for capacity readings with Lii500 (so a discharge of 500mA). I have Eneloop Pro here and NOR has even suggested a capacity of 2812mAh in one of them although the battery is more than 3 years old and it says minimum 2450mAh. Maha with break-in on the other hand indicated 2560mAh when this battery was new.

Partial reason for this increased value you get is the discharge occurs right after a charge without any time break which means the battery is potentially still warm/hot from the charge and also consumes what we call "surface charge" which didn't had the time to dissipate. Both reasons contribute to the increased value you get. Just treat the NOR value for comparison against other NOR tests.

Last edited: