NITECORE -- Keep Innovating        

Thread: Review: Olight S1R Baton II (EDC, 1xIMR16340, Magnetic Charging)

Default Review: Olight S1R Baton II (EDC, 1xIMR16340, Magnetic Charging)

I received the Olight S1R Baton II from Olight for the review.

Also, Olightworld updated the promotion of the S1R Baton II

S1RII MAP:$64..99
    1. Date: September 28th whole day
    2. Get 25% off for 1pcs; 1pc S1R:$48.74 save $16.25
    3. Get 30% off for 2pcs; 2pcs S1RII:$90.98 save $39
    4. Give 1pc Free H05 over $99

The S1R Baton II is the new, updated version of the S1R Baton. It is still an EDC light, featuring a XM-L2 cool white emitter, powered by an IMR Li-ion 16340 battery, rechargeable via magnetic cable.

The S1R Baton II comes in this box, very elegantly packaged. Very detailed instructions about using the light for the first time, and a thank you message from Olight Staff.

The S1R Baton II comes with the IMR 16340 battery, charging cable, battery case, manual, lanyard, pouch.

Here you can see the yellow spacer that prevents parasitic drain and accidental activation in the box. Also notice that the S1R Baton II is composed only of head and body, no tailcap.

Here with the IMR 16340 proprietary cell.

The compact S1R Baton II in hands

The XM-L2 emitter is in a TIR optic and the blue bezel has engraved the output, 1000 Lumens, and the characteristic of the LED: 6500K, 70CRI.

One difference from the previous version is the knurling, more ďheavyĒ and textured. It surely provides more grip. Also, on the electronic switch there is a multi color LED that acts as a battery meter.

Also, the electronic switch has a multicolor LED in it to indicate the state of the battery: Green, Yellow, Red.

The tailcap still hosts the magnetic contact system for charging the battery.

And allows the light to be attached to metallic surfaces.
    In this pic you can see the two way clip with the lanyard hole (useful if you want to use a lanyard carrying the light in one direction, there is another lanyard hole at the tailcap if you want to use it while carrying in the opposite direction).

Despite the initial look, the magnetic charging cable is different:

The colored LED is now smaller and spot-like. It gets red when charging and green when charged.

Beamshots at 0.5 meters from the wall.
    The beam is the classic one of the TIR optics: big bright spot (that in this sample is not squared as in other Olight optics, but circular) and big bright spill. Suited for close distances

Output and runtime

Thermal video (currently uploading, check in a while)

My thoughts
    The light is well built and finished.
    The S1R Baton II has great regulation on tested levels. It gets quite hot on high and turbo mode, but it surely packs a punch with more than 1000 Lumens from a small EDC light.

As I said in the other review of the previous version, the charging system is very easy to use and practicalÖ But it only works with proprietary Olightís battery. If you have several Olightís flashlights, this feature wonít be an issue because Olight uses the same charging cable for multiple lights. The light can still be used with non-proprietary standard 16340 batteries, as long as they are IMR.

The changes compared to the previous version are welcome IMHO: more grippy knurling, better clip, circular spot, battery gauge. The only thing Iím not crazy for is the LED indicator on the charging cable. I would have liked it a bit bigger and brighter (but definitely not as bright as the old ones).

I would like to have this light available in a NW tint (maybe there is a new release planned?) and with a sheath.

Thanks to: AntoLed for the camera, the luxmeter, the thermal camera; Carmen Baz for the proofreading and translation; Zampa for the tripod.
    Last edited by Budda; 09-25-2018 at 12:44 PM.

Default Re: Review: Olight S1R Baton II (EDC, 1xIMR16340, Magnetic Charging)

Love the knurling, will buy it once their second wave goes on sale
    TM36 Lite | Vish's ThruNite TN36UTVN | Olight S1-Cu Baton Raw Copper | Olight S1-Cu Baton Exclusive Raw SS Copper

Great review. Thanks.

I have a concern with these Olight magnetic charging lights. Is there a possibility of shorting it out, if the exposed metal(terminals??) on the rear of the tailcap come in contact with a solid metal object. Is that a legitimate concern, or is it not a problem to cross those exposed metal 'parts' with a flat metal object(large coins, keys etc)? Also, is the switch stiff enough to resist accidental activation in your pocket? Is it a durable switch that will last a long time?
    Last edited by HighlanderNorth; 09-24-2018 at 12:36 AM.
    Some days you are the bug, some days you are the windshield.

I can't reply directly about the shorting issue, although I think this potential issue has already been discussed in the past with a diod in the tailcap... If I remember correctly.

The switch cover I bet to be as strong as all the other olight's. I never had a problem with any of them.

Also, Olightworld updated the promotion of the S1R Baton II
    S1RII MAP:$64..99
    1. Date: September 28th whole day
    2. Get 25% off for 1pcs; 1pc S1R:$48.74 save $16.25
    3. Get 30% off for 2pcs; 2pcs S1RII:$90.98 save $39
    4. Give 1pc Free H05 over $99
    Last edited by Budda; 09-25-2018 at 12:48 PM.

Flashaholic* Crazyeddiethefirst's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HighlanderNorth View Post
    I have a concern with these Olight magnetic charging lights. Is there a possibility of shorting it out, if the exposed metal(terminals??) on the rear of the tailcap come in contact with a solid metal object. Is that a legitimate concern, or is it not a problem to cross those exposed metal 'parts' with a flat metal object(large coins, keys etc)? Also, is the switch stiff enough to resist accidental activation in your pocket? Is it a durable switch that will last a long time?
    I carried an S1R for over a year, and never once had a problem with a short. I also carried the 10440 Titanium rechargeable light that had a magnet keychain mount(when you pulled it off the keyring Mount it came on if you set it up that way, it was a twisty 2 level light and I carried it for two years and never a short. On the S1R, I used the lockout function to keep it from accidentally coming on...

Quote Originally Posted by HighlanderNorth View Post
    If itís anything like the S1R , it certainly is a very durable switch. Mine withstood 2 minutes of being in a fire, then being filled with water (accidentally). It still works on.

And no, Iíve never had any problem with the exposed contacts. One is quite deeply recessed into the tail cap, meaning it is harder to short circuit.
    Last edited by BushcrafterAU; 10-06-2018 at 01:30 PM.

i got mine in the mail and its great. looks like a great edc light.

Waiting patiently for mine to arrive.......

Slightly disappointed that the fourth mode is 600lm. Thank you for the great review though.

Flashaholic

I got 1 with the 25% off flash sale they recently had, shows out for delivery today!

The light can still be used with non-proprietary standard 16340 batteries, as long as they are IMR.
    it does not need to be an IMR cell. It will work on a primary CR123A. It just wonít hit the higher modes that most users rarely use anyway. I rarely go above 300 on my S1R, even then 60 lumens is more than enough 95% of the time. The primary will handle all of that.

Just got mine, initial impressions jive with what we've been told so far.. a bit tighter spot than the original light, and I find the switch a tad less intuitive to hit because it's already small, and down a bit "deeper" than the previous version so you've got to really push into it. The knurling is awesome, as advertised. Hoping to have this little guy handy for a long time.

Flashaholic

Got mine too, nice light, Serious pocket rocket on turbo but it's really a show off mode. All of the other modes will be mostly used, except for strobe.

I ordered 2 of these, one for me, the other as a gift. I have a couple of Orbtronic RCR123 700 mAh's that I couldn't get to work with this. They tend to be slightly taller that the olight battery that comes with. I think it has something to do with the ring on the + side of the olight battery. I wasn't able to charge the olight battery in the charger I had either (MiBoxer C4 - again I'm guessing it has something to do the ring on the + side). Or maybe I'm just doing it all wrong - LoL. Anyways, I like this little guy and wanted\needed a nice compact flashlight for EDC, and I'm figuring it should work with a rechargeable battery pack.