Wuben        
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Am I the only one who just wants another Quark?

Default Am I the only one who just wants another Quark?

What happened to the Quark Clicky?

Here I am looking for a new pocket light again and all I keep thinking is, where can I get a new Quark?

Not only do I not need a 1000 lumen pocket light, I don't want a 1000 lumen pocket light. I don't want a 500 lumen pocket light. I don't want a 300 lumen pocket light.

IT'S A POCKET LIGHT ! It's not meant to light up a football stadium. It's a personal task light. I wan't efficiency and runtime. I don't need more than 100 lumens on high. A sub lumen moonlight and about 10 lumens on medium. That's my dream flashlight. Oh, and it has to be high cri. I won't buy anything that's not high cri. There's no valid reason not to.

I've been pouring over the flashlight vendors websites and I've come to the conclusion that my Quark 123 Clicky with it's high cri xpg 3700k tint emitter is still better than anything else on the market!

Rant over. Thank you.
    Ecc 12:13-14 Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.

Default Re: Am I the only one who just wants another Quark?

Malkoff MDC Nichia ?
    ... is the archimedes peak

The Malkoff MDC would be a fine choice. MDC's with a neutral tint are available directly from the Malkoff website. Although they are actually quite nice, they are not technically high CRI. Check out Illumination Supply for the exclusive run of Nichia MDC's.

Alternatively, you might consider an HDS.
    “May it be a light to you in dark places, when all other lights go out.”
    J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

You might get your wish sir. Isn’t Prometheus working on re-releasing some Quarks? Also you could give the Zebralight Sc53c a try, or it’s smaller 123 brother. Hi cri and you can program it to basically the exact outputs that you stated.

Brasso, you are not the only one. In addition, I don’t want to pay $300 -or even $115 - for a flashlight to get me those things. I also don’t want to be a test pilot for a future “all worked out” flashlight. I didn’t have to do it when I bought my Quarks then. Why on earth should I have to do it now?

Funny now how far ahead of his flashlight time DC was with FourSevens...

The MDC's are nice. I've looked at them a long time. But there's a reason I don't have any Malkoff pocket lights. None of them have a true sub lumen moonlight mode. At least not any that you can buy now. As far as I've read the original AA had a sublumen mode but the new ones don't.

I have several Zebralights. An SC5, SC53, H53 and H600 (i think). They are reasonably nice lights. I've never had one break, but then I only use them around the house. They just don't inspire a hard use robustness with all the press fit parts. I'm actually considering an SC64 right now.
    Last edited by Brasso; 09-24-2018 at 06:37 PM.
    Ecc 12:13-14 Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.

Quote Originally Posted by Brasso View Post
    The MDC's are nice. I've looked at them a long time. But there's a reason I don't have any Malkoff pocket lights. None of them have a true sublumen moonlight mode. At least not any that you can buy now.
    Use a red (or neutral density) filter ?

Flashaholic*

I gave up on Quarks years ago. My complaints:

1. Output not that great. Though, I gather this isn't an issue for you.

2. Very inefficient on maximum (the other modes were fine).

3. Cool white only. Yuck.

4. Poor UI. The tactical only allowed you to use 2 modes, and the pro grouped strobes and blinkies with the regular group so you had to step through them. Grrrrr.

Once I started buying Zebralights, they made the Quarks obsolete IMO. There are also several other brands that are better value than the Quarks.

That said, I do still occasionally use my old Quarks. They're mostly used for things like a glove-box light or toolbox light.

The lack of sub lumen output on the MDCs has bummed me out for a while. I’m not sure why that can’t get ironed out, or why they still advertise them as sub lumen. I haven’t torture tested a zebra but the hardcore users seems to stand by their robustness.

Flashaholic*

Try swapping out the XPG for a Nichia 219. Then add a forward clicky switch and the Quark is transformed.
    I have a 123 Ti with this setup and it has become one of my favorites. Oh, and a nitecore style pocket clip....
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.
    -- Albert Einstein

Flashaholic*

Are you talking about the original Quark or the redesigned ones that came to be because of the Surefire lawsuit?

Eagletac's D25 series is pretty similar to the original Quarks and can be found with a high CRI Nichia 219C.
    What kind of self respecting nocturnal being cannot see in the dark, one way or another?

Quote Originally Posted by Brasso View Post
    The MDC's are nice. I've looked at them a long time. But there's a reason I don't have any Malkoff pocket lights. None of them have a true sub lumen moonlight mode. At least not any that you can buy now. As far as I've read the original AA had a sublumen mode but the new ones don't.
    The current, 9.24.18, Malkoff MDC HA 1AA is .3 in lowlow, one of three modes. I've had one for a couple of months and often find myself using it instead of flipping a light switch or turning on a lamp.

My EDC is a Malkoff MDC HA TAC 1CR123, the MDC 1AA gets used mostly at home. If we are going to a restaurant, party or place where I might need just a bit of light I'll carry both. The MDC HA TAC 1CR123 starts at 250 lumens, the MDC HA 1AA starts at .3 lumens.
    Last edited by BrisketBBQ; 09-24-2018 at 10:32 PM.

No, you're not the only one who just wants another Quark.

Soon, hopefully, to be released by Jason Hui, the new owner of Foursevens.

~ Chance
    Never point a flashlight at anything you don't intend to illuminate! Never buy a flashlight you have to make payments on.

Damn, these last two are wonderful. Any preliminary data on them? They look like AA, 2xAA lights. If those be in Titanium...
    Last edited by vadimax; 09-24-2018 at 11:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by vadimax View Post
    Damn, these last two are wonderful. Any preliminary data on them? They look like AA, 2xAA lights. If those be in Titanium...
    Below is the accompanying information.

Thinking about going two tone on Quarks. HAIII Natural for the main color and black accents. Also exploring the 80CRI Nichia 319 with a@hexagon shaped die. Performance should be close to the XM-L2 or XPL-HD. Thoughts?
    Never point a flashlight at anything you don't intend to illuminate! Never buy a flashlight you have to make payments on.

I still use my Quark Neutral Tactical 1x14500 quite often... with Deep Carry clip.

Was that info from the new foursevens owner?
    i am dying for some new quarks and is there an idea of when we may see some?
    thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Chauncey Gardiner View Post

Thinking about going two tone on Quarks. HAIII Natural for the main color and black accents. Also exploring the 80CRI Nichia 319 with a@hexagon shaped die. Performance should be close to the XM-L2 or XPL-HD. Thoughts?

I really want these to play out! Outstanding! But I have a feeling it will be like the next year's concept car - they're amazing in every way. When the production model comes out, all you can say is "huh". I would just like to see them release something basic to get the ball rolling, then build on that.
    GOOD TINT!

Quote Originally Posted by ncvarmint2016 View Post
    Was that info from the new foursevens owner?
    i am dying for some new quarks and is there an idea of when we may see some?
    thanks
    Yes, I believe it was posted by the owner of Foursevens. It was posted here. - https://twitter.com/4sevens

~ Chance

*Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by WalkIntoTheLight View Post
    I gave up on Quarks years ago. My complaints:

1. Output not that great. Though, I gather this isn't an issue for you.

2. Very inefficient on maximum (the other modes were fine).

3. Cool white only. Yuck.

4. Poor UI. The tactical only allowed you to use 2 modes, and the pro grouped strobes and blinkies with the regular group so you had to step through them. Grrrrr.

Once I started buying Zebralights, they made the Quarks obsolete IMO. There are also several other brands that are better value than the Quarks.

That said, I do still occasionally use my old Quarks. They're mostly used for things like a glove-box light or toolbox light.

all this plus they are expensive

they cluster around $40 price-wise

well, for $40 you can get a much better Surefire G2x Pro.
    MOre durable, more or less lumens, etc.

Just a light that's 100% better than any quark and almost indestructible.
    ****** Malkoff Devices ****** “Learn to light a candle in the darkest moments of someone’s life. Be the light that helps others see; it is what gives life its deepest significance.” ― Roy T. Bennett, The Light in the Heart

Count me in!
    I have several legacy Quarks (tactical & pro) and they are far and away my most used lights

Why is it that some members here can't leave a thread concerning Foursevens products on track? If you want to let everyone know what you don't like about them.... why don't you start a thread concerning such?

Moderators and Administrators,

Do thread titles have any meaning when it comes to Foursevens?

~ CG

Hoo bloody rah for that!
    Cue posts saying "why shouldn't we criticise, it's a Free World......."
    Sorry, rant over, it's been a long day. But with a delicious sunset, and my best girl to watch it with.
    P

Why is it that some members here can't leave a thread concerning Foursevens products on track? If you want to let everyone know what you don't like about them.... why don't you start a thread concerning such?

~ CG
    Hello Chance,

Although the OP title and text are certainly open to interpretation, I read it as one person saying that they liked the (no longer available) Quark and asking if others miss it as well, perhaps also wondering what is similar and currently available.

To me, it seems legit to comment either pro or con, in a thread of this type ... as long as it is done in reasonably civil manner.

Please feel free to PM me to discuss further, if you like, if there is a specific post to which you object.

I like my MDC 1AA Nichia. The low mode is definitely sub-lumen. Perfect middle of the night light.

Quote Originally Posted by etc View Post
    all this plus they are expensive

they cluster around $40 price-wise

well, for $40 you can get a much better Surefire G2x Pro.
    MOre durable, more or less lumens, etc.

Just a light that's 100% better than any quark and almost indestructible.
    I got the Quark Tactical QTL with clip for $21 shipped last year and it's a neat little light, but that was the 'going out of business, everything must go' Ebay sale.

I just looked at the G2X Pro and I don't see any at $40. Best I saw was $45 + S/H for a NIB version.

Still...the G2X is much bigger and bulkier, doesn't come with a clip, has too fat a head for comfortable pocket carry (IME) and is a basic two mode light with horrible spacing, so I'm not really getting your comparison.

Much like FourSeven, I'm not a huge SureFire fan, thinking that they sat on their asses enjoying their big .mil/.leo contracts and were late on the innovating front, but those are just my biases.

Chris
    Convoy: S2, S2+, M1, M2, Fenix: P1D, PD32, HL30, ET: D25C Ti, SF: 6P, ZL: SC-600, Klarus: P2A, Jetbeam: BA-20, Icon: Rogue 1, L3: L10, Xeno: E03, ShiningBeam: I-Mini, Olight: i3s, SWM: D40A, M11R, V11R, Maglite: 6Ds, MMs, Solitaires, LaCrosse BC-700, Maha C-9000, XTAR VP2, MP1S, XP1, MC1+, WP2 II, NiteCore i4, v2.

*Flashaholic*

check out the 'good deals' section here, there was one floating around for around $36, shipped. I think they bumped it to $40 now.

Look at *completed* auctions on Ebay and get an idea what G2x Pro goes for. It's not the best light but the most cost-effective light I've seen. It costs less than 1 Malkoff module. Very light, durable, two modes that are spaced just right and bright.

I know it's not in the same category at all

But it's not a quark. I would buy one for $20, maybe.. looking on Ebay, they are all around $40 which is nuts.

I have a 47's Mini ML, kind of the same thing, the 123.. nice for what it is, but not worth anywhere near $40 IMO.
    ****** Malkoff Devices ****** “Learn to light a candle in the darkest moments of someone’s life. Be the light that helps others see; it is what gives life its deepest significance.” ― Roy T. Bennett, The Light in the Heart

Quote Originally Posted by etc View Post
    check out the 'good deals' section here, there was one floating around for around $36, shipped. I think they bumped it to $40 now.

Look at *completed* auctions on Ebay and get an idea what G2x Pro goes for. It's not the best light but the most cost-effective light I've seen. It costs less than 1 Malkoff module. Very light, durable, two modes that are spaced just right and bright.

I know it's not in the same category at all

But it's not a quark. I would buy one for $20, maybe.. looking on Ebay, they are all around $40 which is nuts.

I have a 47's Mini ML, kind of the same thing, the 123.. nice for what it is, but not worth anywhere near $40 IMO.
    Hey, I'm not raggin' on you, just stating some of my biases, but we'll all different with unique preferences on what we want our light to do.

There's no 'right, or wrong.'

I think that the two lights pictured above, look pretty cool and I'd consider either based on aesthetics, but that's just me and I don't know their price, or performance.

I'm more into budget lights and just ordered my fourth S2 and S2+ (purple) in a warm tint, so I'm a fan of not spending a lot of cash for an item that performs 'almost' as well as some other more mainstream brands.

Surefire, Streamlight and FourSevens haven't been lights that I've gravitated to, although I have one of each. For price, I've never wanted a Malkoff, or HDS, although I appreciate their offerings.

Chris
    Convoy: S2, S2+, M1, M2, Fenix: P1D, PD32, HL30, ET: D25C Ti, SF: 6P, ZL: SC-600, Klarus: P2A, Jetbeam: BA-20, Icon: Rogue 1, L3: L10, Xeno: E03, ShiningBeam: I-Mini, Olight: i3s, SWM: D40A, M11R, V11R, Maglite: 6Ds, MMs, Solitaires, LaCrosse BC-700, Maha C-9000, XTAR VP2, MP1S, XP1, MC1+, WP2 II, NiteCore i4, v2.

Not me... I got a bunch, many NIB . Stocked up on good sales for gifts and as back-ups of my favorite iterations for when they fail.... except never had one fail.

My favorite model are the 1st gen XPG2/XML low voltage Quark Clicks, figured how to program them so it's a great mix of the of the Tac & Pro UIs w/o the twisty head (which I prefer). The 1st gen had a unique quirk that allows for a moonlight/low toggle, which is 90% of my usage.

Also so have an HDS, MDC AAs, Zebras, D25s, and bunch of others. All have their advantages/disadvantages of course, but for me, none match the combination of: mode spacing, efficiency, regulation, fast UI, Lego-ability, voltage versatility, and reliability. Gave up buying new lights years ago trying to beat my Quarks.... for my priorities, everything else disappointed.
    Last edited by reppans; 09-27-2018 at 09:21 AM.

~ CG
    Quote Originally Posted by archimedes View Post
    Hello Chance,

Although the OP title and text are certainly open to interpretation, I read it as one person saying that they liked the (no longer available) Quark and asking if others miss it as well, perhaps also wondering what is similar and currently available.

To me, it seems legit to comment either pro or con, in a thread of this type ... as long as it is done in reasonably civil manner.
    Thanks arch. I'll mark you down as a No.

~ Chance

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast