Klarus        
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does anyone really get 1000 recharge cycles from Eneloop batteries?

Flashaholic*

Default Re: Does anyone really get 1000 recharge cycles from Eneloop batteries?

Quote Originally Posted by Gauss163 View Post
    As you can see from the graph I posted, there's no way that older, degraded cells are going to do "just fine" at a 5A rate. They're already degrading quite fast at the 1.7A rate there. Since you measure capacity at such a low rate, you are not properly accounting for the effects of the rapidly increasing IR due to high cycle/calendar life - which play a crucial role for higher rate devices.
    1. Your graph is about cycle counts. It clearly shows that with modest cycle counts, old Eneloops do in fact keep up with new Eneloops. Your own evidence contradicts everything you are saying.

2. Even with larger cycle counts, they only take a beating if you use them in high-drain applications. People are not going to use them that way. They'll be retired to more moderate applications, where capacity matters a lot more than drain.

Flashaholic*

^^^ I think you misunderstood my point. Of course if you're not pushing the cells hard at all, i.e. low cycles, low rates, low depth then you may well get close to the IEC tests since this is close to their test conditions (that's why I kept asking for those parameters above). But - as I said before - I don't think that is typical use for many users of this forum (or other folks who user higher-drain devices). My comments implicitly presumed interest in such "power user" conditions given that this is a flashlight forum.
    Last edited by Gauss163; 10-05-2018 at 04:19 PM.

Most top brand Nimh cells last years of regular normal use. As in used until they donít power the electronic anymore and blasted back to full charge in 12 hours or less then have it done all over again. Unless charging and discharging is a hobby and you havenít any electronics that use batteries I guess it would be a concern. The way it is for me right now I could trash all my Nimh batteries every month no matter how good they still are Iíd still save a crap ton of money compared to buying primaries.

Flashaholic* MidnightDistortions's Avatar

As some has stated, if you even get one year out of them they are worth it. Under 80% of max capacity or high IR that won't charge in the C9000 or an Eneloop charger is considered crap but they'll work fine in low drain devices.

In fact i still have 13 year old cells that i use in string lights for nightlights and just ambient light, especially during winter where it gets dark at 4pm. Though i have to play musical batteries and use a multimeter to find the dying cells to recharge them and most people would just throw in a good set and forget but then im not most people
    LED Lights: ThruNite TN4A, Coast HP7, LEDLenser T7, Fenix E25, Fenix LD41, Maglite 2D, Maglite XL50, Maglite 3D (3rd Gen), AA MiniMaglite Pro+
    Chargers: Maha C9000, La Crosse BC1000, Panasonic BQ-CC17, Eneloop user.

Quote Originally Posted by MidnightDistortions View Post
    As some has stated, if you even get one year out of them they are worth it. Under 80% of max capacity or high IR that won't charge in the C9000 or an Eneloop charger is considered crap but they'll work fine in low drain devices.

In fact i still have 13 year old cells that i use in string lights for nightlights and just ambient light, especially during winter where it gets dark at 4pm. Though i have to play musical batteries and use a multimeter to find the dying cells to recharge them and most people would just throw in a good set and forget but then im not most people
    The big enemy of LSD nimh is losing the "L" in LSD, turning into High Self Discharge cells that discharge too fast with too little capacity to even be useful in low drain devices over long periods of time. I have over a dozen old nimh cells that I quit using due to HSD. I just got tired of charging them before using them every time.
    Fenix Split rings 1400+ sent, SWIVELS now available also!
    Psalm 112:4 Light shines in the darkness for the godly. They are generous, compassionate, and righteous.

Flashaholic* MidnightDistortions's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lynx_Arc View Post
    The big enemy of LSD nimh is losing the "L" in LSD, turning into High Self Discharge cells that discharge too fast with too little capacity to even be useful in low drain devices over long periods of time. I have over a dozen old nimh cells that I quit using due to HSD. I just got tired of charging them before using them every time.
    Yeah, its still a bit early for any of my LSD cells to become HSD. My older HSD cells that usually last 6 hours of non use before they become unusable i retire those. Some of my AAAs have such high IR that they will work for 8 or more months in low drain devices. Any other low drain that i don't have any usable rechargeables i just get some cheap LSD cells like EBL and so far they work great.
    LED Lights: ThruNite TN4A, Coast HP7, LEDLenser T7, Fenix E25, Fenix LD41, Maglite 2D, Maglite XL50, Maglite 3D (3rd Gen), AA MiniMaglite Pro+
    Chargers: Maha C9000, La Crosse BC1000, Panasonic BQ-CC17, Eneloop user.

Flashaholic*

You can still use old cells that have high self discharge. Put them in solar lawn lights.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12