Jetbeam        

Thread: Good replacements for 9005SI+ and 9005LL in projector lights in 2017 Ram

Unenlightened

Default Good replacements for 9005SI+ and 9005LL in projector lights in 2017 Ram

Greetings,
    I have a new-to-me 2017 Ram 1500 with the "Bi-Function Projector Headlamps" with stock halogen bulbs that the owner's manual specifies as 9005SI+ for the low beam, and 9005LL for high beam.
    I have no idea what the SI+ and LL even means.... can you recommend a replacement bulb for these that will improve the lighting?

And while we are at it, any recommendation for the fog lamp bulbs? I believe they are 9006 but apparently they might also be 9145, according to the manual.

I super-appreciate any help, and am glad to know there are some knowledgeable folks here!

Default Re: Good replacements for 9005SI+ and 9005LL in projector lights in 2017 Ram

Welcome to this board!

"LL" means "Long Life".
    That "SI+" is really "SL+" and stands for "Super Luminance+". There's a data sheet here, though it's not terribly informative.

HB3 (9005) is one of the standardized bulb types, and all HB3 (9005) bulbs that actually meet the technical specifications in the regulation are interchangeable without causing damage to the vehicle or other safety hazards, but they are not all alike. In general, there is a tradeoff between bulb life and the various aspects of bulb output that impact on headlight beam performance. A long-life bulb gives shorter seeing distance and narrower beam coverage, and a dimmer, browner light due to its lower filament luminance. A high-luminance bulb gives longer seeing distance and wider beam coverage, and a brighter light, but has shorter life.

There is an excellent upgrade for both of the bulbs in your headlamp, that is the HIR1 (9011), available in regular or deluxe (higher luminance but also higher dollars) versions. Its critical dimensions are identical to HB3 (9005), as is its power draw, so it will focus correctly in the headlamps and not create any extra heat or electrical load. But its output is higher; the nominal value is 2300 lumens instead of 1700. You will have to trim a plastic tab on the new bulb to match the original bulb as described here, then they go right in and plug right in.

Headlamp aim is the central, main determinant of effective headlamp performance, and unfortunately a new vehicle is not a guarantee of correctly aimed lamps. It has to be done with the usual/customary load in the truck, and it has to be done correctly with an optical aiming machine. See here for details. It can be very frustrating to find a shop that can and will do it; even many dealerships use lazy shine-on-the-wall types of methods.

The fog lamps need to be correctly aimed, too, but they should almost never be turned on (read this, and you should not use any but the original type of bulb in them.

(other things to steer clear of: don't use "HID kits" or "LED conversions" in your lamps -- it isn't safe, legal, or effective.)
    Last edited by -Virgil-; Today at 12:30 AM.

Unenlightened

Default Re: Good replacements for 9005SI+ and 9005LL in projector lights in 2017 Ram

Thanks, Virgil! Great information!
    I definitely learned something about my headlamps and fog lamps! I will leave the fog lamps as they are.
    Wow, an optical beamsetter... now I will need to search one out!
    Any idea what a shop with a beamsetter would charge to aim headlights?

Unenlightened

Virgil, one more question, please....
    Will the bulb you recommended, the HIR1 (9011) be free of any CANBUS related issues too?
    Thanks!
    Last edited by -Virgil-; 10-20-2018 at 09:35 AM. Reason: Remove unnecessary whole-text quote

Yes, electrically it is identical to the original bulbs. You only have to worry about CANBUS-related issues if you do things you shouldn't: "LED bulbs", "HID kits", high-wattage bulbs, etc.