Folomov Key Charger: I love it already!

geraldL

Newly Enlightened
Note: This charger and battery was kindly provided by Folomov for me to review.

44555645315_b70d2f0654_o.jpg

Introduction

I received the Folomov Key Charger in a beautiful packaging, plain and simple. Folomov took special care to wrap the plastic case in bubble wrap to protect it from damage during shipping, which was admittedly a nice touch.
I must admit that I had my doubts about a charger the size of a wireless car remote. I've always used Nitecore chargers to charge my lithium ion batteries and recently changed to a Liitokala dual bay. However, these chargers are typically more bulky, and I looked forward to having a small charger that could still do the job, especially when I need to travel light – this Folomov Key Charger proved its worth, and I must say I haven't left home without it in the past month that I've been testing it for!

What do I love about it?

• Small
  • Light
  • Batteries don't get warm
  • Clear indication of battery level via the 4 bright LEDs
  • Can be used to charge/power other appliances i.e. powerbank (see use case below)

31595018858_357978f39b_b.jpg

Folomov also kindly provided a 3400mAh battery for me to test this on.

44555646035_e5fe382c1c_b.jpg

This is how it looks like, with all its cable unraveled. The docking bay takes the positive end of the battery while the circular removable bit takes the negative end. Both are magnetic, which helps the battery stay in place while charging. Without the battery, the negative end snaps right in, flush with the body of the charger.

44555647165_0124bef296_b.jpg

For size comparison, from left: 14500 battery, Folomov Key Charger, Olight S1A baton. Small and lightweight, perfect for charging on the go.

Specs

These specs are provided by the manufacturer, and can be found here: http://www.folomov.com/en/content/?136.html

Dimensions
:
Weight: 31g / 1.09oz
Length: 66mm / 2.60in
Width: 37mm / 1.46in
Thickness: 17mm / 0.67in

MSRP
$16.99 USD on Amazon

Compatible Batteries
Compatible with 3.6V/3.7V Li-ion rechargeable batteries above 2000mAh in capacity (18650, 20700, 21700

Current
Max charge current: 2A
Max discharge current: 2A

Other features

• Automatically activate 0V batteries
  • Overcharge and over-discharge protection
  • Short circuit protection
  • Reverse polarity protection
  • Battery level indicator

Charging Indicator & battery capacity
1 blinking LED: below 25%
1 solid LED, 1 blinking: 25% – 49%
2 solid LEDs, 1 blinking: 50% – 74%
3 solid LEDs,1 blinking: 74% – 99%
4 solid LEDs: 100%

Keyring Attachment
Yes

31595019878_67970ebcbb_b.jpg

20181013_162932.jpg
Charging up my powerbank using the 18650 battery. As this had 1 solid LED and 1 blinking, the battery capacity was between 25% – 49%.

31595021148_c62f1beb02_b.jpg

Since this battery had built in charging capabilities, you can also charge it up using any Micro USB cable. Sweet!

How I've been carrying and using it

44555648045_7d05e075b7_b.jpg

I attach it to a keyring, which then hangs together with my keys and pill fobs. It's so compact I sometimes forget I have it with me.

31595022738_9fa6ae265f_b.jpg

I've also used it to charge up my sister's iPhone 8. It went from 85% to full charge in about 20 minutes. Nifty little gadget.

44555649305_7170a132a8_b.jpg

31595025868_6c203c64c2_b.jpg

Attached my cute little USB flood light, and I get a floody light source, ready for outdoor picnics.

What I think can be improved on

• Would be nice if it can charge more battery types
  • A way for us to select the charging current (so we can select a lower current, thereby extending the battery life)
  • The charging head (the one that plugs into the power source) should align with the body of the charger, and not jut out
  • Change orientation of keyring attachment hole so the keyring can lie flat (or even better, provide the keyring)

Conclusion

Since I'm not a fan of buying lights that are MicroUSB rechargeable (because I think it affects its waterproofing capability), I need a charger that I can bring with me on the road or for trips. This tiny little Key Charger fits my needs, and will be part of my EDC. The powerbank feature is a nice bonus and that means I don't have to carry that bulky powerbank anymore.

If you'd like to read a more technical review of the battery complete with charts and graphs, HKJ has done a fantastic job of that here.

Last edited:

geraldL

Newly Enlightened
Hi everyone, I'm so sorry for the low resolution images right now. I only just realised that it has suffered from terrible file size compression. I will be working to resolve it ASAP. Thank you for your understanding. Cheers!

EDIT: Problem solved. Hosting on Wordpress was the problem. It automatically compressed my images - Flickr saved the day!

Last edited:

Finnegan

Newly Enlightened
Just a friendly note— I picked up the Folomov A1, plugged it into my computer and attached it to an Olight 18650 that just needed a little top up. Went back into the room half an hour later to find it had not stopped blinking (to indicate a full charge) moved the tip slightly to make sure it was set properly, and the thing started smoking. Unhooked it and threw in the garbage. So beware of safety issues folks.