Fitorch        

Thread: Service replaces dead Lithium & NiCad power tool battery packs w/ NiMh

Default Service replaces dead Lithium & NiCad power tool battery packs w/ NiMh

Replaces the guts with 3300 mAh NiMh for around $50 & postage.

For power tools, is Lithium superior to NiMh? Or at least considering that the price is less than a new Lithium pack?

Not sure if I'm allowed to post their URL.

Default Re: Service replaces dead Lithium & NiCad power tool battery packs w/ NiMh

I'm pretty sure that would be called shilling, especially since you started a thread for that express purpose.

I think the marketplace has pretty well proven that LiIon is better. My guess is it's a weight thing. The energy/weight ratio is much better for LiIon. Energy/volume is better too, but not by as big a margin.

Anyway, if you change the chemistry, your chargers won't work properly. Why would I pay all that money for an inferior battery pack I can't charge?

Default Re: Service replaces dead Lithium & NiCad power tool battery packs w/ NiMh

I posted a thread here from back in like 2013 or so, where I pointed out that the 18v batteries for my Rigid 18v hammer drill/circular saw set that I had purchased way back in late 2003 were still going strong then. But finally, just 1 year later, 1 of its 2 NiCad battery packs had given out, and the charger suddenly began refusing to charge it, and gave me flashes to let me know there was a problem with it. I was right in the middle of replacing 2 banisters, armrails, posts and safety rails on a large deck. I had to finish with 1 battery, but the set had come with a lifetime warranty back in 2003, including batteries. So I dropped off the 2 batteries after talking to a Rigid and Home Depot reps. Less than 2 weeks later, I received 2 new batteries and a new charger for free! I use it less now than before, but I was impressed with how long those old NiCad batteries lasted! I assume the new battery packs are NiCad, and weren't replaced with NiMh internally....
    Some days you are the bug, some days you are the windshield.

Volume not relevent - it fits into the housing. A new Lithium Ryobi for about the same mAh is $100. So $50 is a good deal.
    The point about whether the Ryobi charger can handle NiMh is valid; they handle their NiCad & Lithium, did they ever do a pack w/ NiMh?

Anybody know a rebuild service that puts a new Lithium pack into the housing?

i do not think any rebuild service will put different chemistry cells, for liability reasons. only what was there originally