Primary cells - what are they?

trailhunter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi all, I'm looking for a light setup that I can store in the car in the coldest of days and coldest of nights as emergency, I've read that primary cells fit the bill for this. If so, what is a good primary cell and flash light?

Any feedback appreciated!

skillet

Enlightened
I keep Surefire G2 with Malkoff M61 in the truck with CR123 cells loaded in it with spare batteries in the pocket on the door. The van has an old Brinkman Maxfire host with a Malkoff dropin loaded in it as well with spare batteries in the glove box. Both my light use CR123 lithium batteries (non rechargeable) The word for best brands would be bout any American made: Duracell, Enegizer, Panasonic. I believe the American made and company branded would include Batterystation, Surefire, & Streamlight.

You can go with a AA light and use Enegizer Lithium AA in it. The lithium type battery is not as susceptible to hot and cold extremes like alkalines or even rechargeable battery options. Yes, the cost is more but since the backup light is seldom used, money is sacrificed for reliability.

Any light of your liking would be fine, just load it with lithium type batteries.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Like skillet said...... lithium primaries are your best bet (CR123, L91/92) you only need to decide how much runtime and lumens you need. One cheap light that is decent is the Rayovac 2AA Industructible for about $15 coupled with Energizer L92 lithiums. If you have a Sam's club membership you can get Energizer Lithiums for about $1.11 plus tax in 18 packs and they will store for 20+ years fine. CR123s can be found similarly priced but most likely online as locally they aren't discounted or sold in bulk by the chain stores as far as I know.
If it isn't too cold and you use the light often you may be able to get by with a lithium ion battery like RCR123 or 18650 of 14500 in a light as lithium primaries do add up in cost over time.