Rigging flashlignts to bike/ATV/other frames?

louieatienza

Newly Enlightened
So these great flashlights mostly come with a 1/4"-20 threaded hole for mounting to things like tripods. I was wondering if there were any aftermarket solutions for mounting to say, a mountain bike or ATV? Also, would the threads in the aluminum alloy withstand the rigors of mountain biking or ATV riding? Finally, with many of these lights weighing in at 3-4 pounds with batteries, are there any concerns with the mounts as to weight? Thanks...

louieatienza

Newly Enlightened
So I purchased a GoPro adapter to 1/4"-20. Upon looking at the relatively small knuckle joint, it looks clear to me that one hard jolt would shift the light out of alignment. I still have my doubts about the security of the threads in aluminum, especially with constant mounting/dismounting. I wonder if retrofitting a helicoil in the mounting hole would make sense?

I've seen these lights mounted onto tripods, but of course they're stationary. I really think these would be cool for night time adventures on the mountain bike, so I'm hoping a solution exists. Otherwise I may have to fire up the CNC...

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wouldn't rely on the tripod socket for anything other than a still tripod. For biking/ATVing, you'll need a secure clamp that goes around the light.

Lumen83

Enlightened
They make a plethora of mounting options for firearms. From gun barrel clamps, to picatinny rail clamps, etc. Some of these might be good options for you if you don't find a speciffic mount for the bike. I could see a gun barrel clamp mount working on handle bars or a picatinny mount working just about anywhere you're willing to drill the holes and mount the rail to.

Beckler

Enlightened
Depends on the type of tripod mount on flashlight and the base you use - would have to be a rubber base or some type with large surface area that grips light so it won't move. Anything more than 1x18650 size wouldn't be suitable for tripod mount either, imo. Clamp type mounts already exist for flashlights but I've yet to see a well designed one.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Depends on the type of tripod mount on flashlight and the base you use - would have to be a rubber base or some type with large surface area that grips light so it won't move. Anything more than 1x18650 size wouldn't be suitable for tripod mount either, imo.

Even 1x18650 lights with tripod holes have them at the tail of the light. Too much torque to be mounted on a bike that way.

Clamp type mounts already exist for flashlights but I've yet to see a well designed one.

They don't really have to be well designed for small lights like a 1x18650. I've used a few, and they all work well. I've never had a problem. The only issue with some of them (especially the velcro ones) is they can tilt the light up or down after awhile, so you might need to readjust it.

I'd suggest the OP go for a 1x18650 light, like a Zebralight SC600w MkIV Plus. At 2300 lumens, it's plenty bright, and if you're moving with a decent breeze, it can maintain that output. Of course, it eats batteries at that output, so you'll have to change them every half-hour. I prefer the 700 lumen output, as it can go almost 3 hours on a good cell like the Sanyo GA, and it's a flat regulated output. It's an efficient light, with a fairly wide beam, so I really like it for cycling.

A heavy 4x18650 light might sound great, but probably more hassle than it's worth.

Lumen83

Enlightened
Clamp type mounts already exist for flashlights but I've yet to see a well designed one.

There are a lot that are designed to clamp to a gun barrel that are great and made for tactical purposes. So, they do hold up and are well designed. I'm thinking even some adjustable rifle scope rings could be used for flashlight purposes. And, they'd be solid and mountable to a rail that could be screwed into parts of a bike, ATV, etc.

Sleddogger

Newly Enlightened
Here's what I use for mounting my BLF Q8 to my handlebars.
20181008_205622.jpg

These are light rigging clamps and was was suggested to me by fellow CPF user Keitho. works a treat and is solid on the bar.

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast
ImageUploadedByCandlepowerforums1542675848.995443.jpg

I would check out RAM mounts. They are a company that make thousands of attachment products for vehicles.
The pic shows a set up I use on my bicycle. RAM basically uses arms and cradles attached to rubberized balls.
I use a RAM set up on my snowmobile for my gps too. Never had a problem.

louieatienza

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys for all your comments and suggestions. Looks like there are alternatives that I had not previously considered. Appreciate the help!

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is an easier way. I just take a block of foam, my favorite is the sole of a black dollar store flip-flop. I cut two grooves going opposite directions, and almost intersecting - very little foam left between. Lay one groove on top of the handle bar, put the light on top so it balances. Now just slip #64 rubber bands over the light head, double them once, and take it under the bar and around the tail of the light. Three bands should be solid. Or skip the rubber bands and just use one of those silicone wristbands, very neat and quick. I found some plain black ones - they also don't rot over time like the rubber bands.

I tried the Two fish bike blocks, and hated them. The hollow rubber block where the two velcro straps cross over each other allows the light to bounce around as you go over even small bumps. It's just about like riding with a strobe for a headlight. That's why I said not to leave much material between the grooves, just enough to protect the light and bar from each other.

louieatienza

Newly Enlightened
Here's what I use for mounting my BLF Q8 to my handlebars.
20181008_205622.jpg

These are light rigging clamps and was was suggested to me by fellow CPF user Keitho. works a treat and is solid on the bar.

A good friend of mine runs a machine shop for a company that does light and sound rigging for musical and play productions, and I hadn't considered that as an option beforehand... Thanks!

Let it shine

Newly Enlightened
View attachment 8908

I would check out RAM mounts. They are a company that make thousands of attachment products for vehicles.
The pic shows a set up I use on my bicycle. RAM basically uses arms and cradles attached to rubberized balls.
I use a RAM set up on my snowmobile for my gps too. Never had a problem.

Thank you for pointing the way to RAM!
Question: I found all the components in the picture, except for the tray and rubber band. What are those ?

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast
Let it Shine,
The tray and rubber band were for a set up from RAM for a UTV to mount something to the roll bar. Can't remember what at the moment. Look at UTV / Motorcycle mounts

Edit: part # RAM-B-231Z-2NUBU. RAM ATV / UTV rail base with no U bolts. Or RAM-B-108BU. There are a few versions of this. Make sure the hose clamp is big / small enough for the light you want to mount. Set up worked flawless for me.

Last edited:

gravelmonkey

Enlightened
Quick n dirty method for smaller lights is electrical tape to protect bar and light and jubilee clips around each, with one going inside the other, at 90 degrees.

I actually quite like the lock lock type rubber mounts, I cinch the velcro as tight as possible and for lightweight 18650 lights, are fairly solid.