P60 Drop In

nmiller

Flashlight Enthusiast
Help me decide on two of them. I'm hoping to get a bit more throw than a Malkoff M61. A M61T neutral would be perfect. Here is what I've found and kind of like.

EDC Plus Neutral Triple v2
Customlites XPG2 smooth reflector
Oveready DIP clear narrow

They will be run in surefire Z2s on primaries or 16650s. I'm open to other options too. I would like malkoff quality or close to it,

Thanks,

Nick

Jose Marin

Enlightened
Check out pflex pro. You wont be able to do 2 primaries but you have lots of options for drivers, leds and quality. For max throw check out the ap drop in short with your choice of neutral xpl-hi

ven

Flashaholic
Although a little more in cost, i can highly recommend vinhs p60's. Some of mine have been beat to...........well they are still alive and kicking! Never missed a beat over years of drops.Not all have been subjected to abuse though. The CQvn which is a few years old now, still works as new.

Lots of options to go at, choice of LED's, modes and how many of. Not to mention, come any issue although unlikely, vinh is fast and efficient at making right.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?451629-P60vn-Light-Engines

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're going to be running your P60 on 16650s and on HIGH a lot, be careful of the current draw. While you can hit 5A with a 16650, you're running it at its redline.

I bought an EDC+ single LED (XM-L2 U2,) 3 mode P60, along with two of their Redilast 17670 cells (16650 v.1 Sanyos) and the quality is there, for sure. It only pulls 1.5A for 500LM and nowadays something like a Sportac can pull 5A.

Chris

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only sure way to get more throw is to throw more lumens out the front. The D26(P60) architecture just doesn't allow for much variation in the reflector size, which, for the same lumens, controls throw and spill. It's no longer just a drop in, but Lumens Factory sells a tower head with M series threads, which will work on a C series light with an adapter. By the time one buys the head, adapter, and light it gets rather expensive. At that point one would be better served forgetting the D26(P60) format and just go for one of the smaller dedicated throwers.

PS: See, I can refrain from being a Nitecore fanboy! :whistle:

Charlie Hustle

Newly Enlightened
I'll check them out. I saw them briefly, but looked overly complicated for my simple mind. Gene just needs to make a m61tn.

[FONT=&quot]Randy will set up the dropin any way you want it. You can even send him your Z2 in the mail, and he will install it. If you have any problems there are plenty of members here that can help. He offers three variants of the XP-L HI, and you should choose according to how much ambient light will be in your surroundings. 4000K is great for very little ambient light while 5000K will perform better in higher ambient light surroundings. 7000K can even be used as a safety light to draw attention to traffic.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Personally, I would choose the hybrid reflector for the very slight reduction in lux for a cleaner beam, and the 3.8 amp option is acceptable for your battery choice. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]One thing that you will notice with the pflexpro dropins is that they are lighter in weight in comparison to the Malkoff dropins which will improve balance in your hand with the Z2. I prefer to use Malkoff dropins with the larger heaver hosts like the 9P/C3, and Oveready Defense Light to improve balance.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Like others have said, there will be limitations to what a P60 size reflector can achieve, but you will see an improvement in lux with your naked eye with Randy's dropins over your Malkoff for the simple fact his reflectors are larger/smooth, and his dropins are driven much harder.[/FONT]

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now I would buy a M61T neutral in a heartbeat. Wish gene made them.

I inquired about this to Gene some time back. He said that the neutrals were not making a good beam with the optic so he didn't want to make them. There is some evidence of this in the original M60 drop-ins and I think he dealt with complaints about beam quality at the time. I am using a piece of LEE filter material in my M61T and I have been happy so far. Another member had issues with heat damaging the LEE filter so YMMV depending on how long you run your light without turning it off. I typically use my M61T for relatively short bursts so heat build up is not an issue for me.