Is Elzetta out of the game?

Walll

Newly Enlightened
Firstly I LOVE Elzetta lights. I EDC'd my Bravo (see picture) everyday for at least a year before I took it on duty with me for a year, also using it everyday more tactically. It has literally been perfect (and beat around); the 650 lumens is great for flooding a car even through tinted windows, clearing houses as the spill is pretty good, yet it can still punch out a fair distance. The CRI is excellent too and one time I revealed a target in a bush that others had passed over and couldn't see with their more cool-tinted lights.

NOW, with the love out of the way, is Elzetta remaining pretty stagnant? Perhaps this is just my ignorance being out of the light loop for some time now. Have they only upgraded the Alpha to 415 lumens in recent times? I would love to buy an Alpha to EDC instead of my Bravo for normal life. Is there any word that a new version may be coming out?

Edit: I've had my Bravo for about 5 years now!? Time flies. I have carried it daily for half that time at least, and its just as perfect as the day I got it (including the high/ low cap).

hZsBRZd.jpg

Last edited:

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
In my opinion, can improve the knurling on the cap. When it is cold, the hands are cold and the lubricant froze from the cold, then changing the weak to a strong mode and vice versa is not always convenient - fingers slip even in gloves, or if the fingers are weak and tired, there is also not enough grip. Improving the brightness does not make sense with current diode characteristics, if you put a more powerful led, you will have to either reduce the time of work or increase the cooling area. I think that we must wait for new generations of LEDs, which give 50% or more lumens more from 1 W, than current LEDs.

MX421

Enlightened
IMO, moving away from the Malkoff drop-in engine to the AVS head was the wrong direction, but to their credit, the AVS head has better specs i suppose. However, simplicity and quality is what makes these lights so good, so its hard to-improve on the status quo except to make them more accessible (ie cheaper). I guess the Bones model was supposed to address the latter issues.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've wondered the same thing. They must have some LE or military contracts. The AVS head was released in 2013, but they've done precious little since then. I've owned several Elzetta products, but I've noticed that they are difficult to sell on the the secondary market. They go for crazy low prices. I think most people find the AVS head too large for edc.

I wish for a flashlight with:

a) the 18650 compatibility of the Bones
b) the high/low switch of the Bravo
c) the head diameter of the Alpha
d) the beam pattern of the AVS

I think something like this would be very popular. Just my two cents.

MX421

Enlightened
I've wondered the same thing. They must have some LE or military contracts.

Since they are one one the few USA made flashlights (that they proudly advertise), i bet you are correct on the government/Law Enforcement contracts being their main market.

I wish for a flashlight with:

a) the 18650 compatibility of the Bones
b) the high/low switch of the Bravo
c) the head diameter of the Alpha
d) the beam pattern of the AVS

I think something like this would be very popular. Just my two cents.

I agree on the first two on your list. If they just made 18 mm tubes (especially the bravo) that have as thick of walls as their present tubes, i'd be interested. Overready (and others) bore them, but i have passed on a couple of those used deals you talk about because I'm worried about the integrity.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Overready (and others) bore them, but i have passed on a couple of those used deals you talk about because I'm worried about the integrity.

Although OR no longer offers that service, they did a great job of removing only the smallest amount of material, since they only intended the device to be used with the relatively narrow unprotected 18xxx cells from AW. Still, I take your point. If you're in the market for an Elzetta, then you're after something tough.

Of course, Elzetta designed their flagship line for CR123's only, a fact which is normally mentioned on the Elzetta thread whenever rechargeables are discussed. Not trying to revive that debate here.

Oh, I meant to say earlier that another pocket clip option might also increase Elzetta's popularity. Perhaps something bolted down like the clips on Malkoff's MDC line.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Elzetta makes niche lights. A small company that has a small lineup designed for a specific purpose.

Folks tend to equate Elzetta and Malkoff as like companies but they are not anymore than HDS and Malkoff are comparable.

And regarding an updated Alpha being beyond 415 lumens, well the current 415 lumen that holds steady at around that number with a single primary cell was a feat in itself back in about 016 when others touted 1000 lumens for 18 seconds then settled into the 300's.

The only real alternative was PK's PR-1 that could hold above that number with a higher voltage RCR. On a primary that one holds steady about the same as the Alpha.

Yeah, Elzetta is still in the game. Just not the flashion of the month game.

XR6Toggie

Newly Enlightened
I think their simple line up is good and introducing the Bones and 18650 compatibility was a good choice to broaden their catalogue a bit. Given their particular target market I don't think they were in the wider game to begin with.

I would like to see them introduce some more accessories. A belt holster that fits the AVS head would be amazing.

JPA261

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love my Elzetta's too but wish they had kept their original standard M60 modules. I found the AVS head waaay to thick to carry in my pocket compared to the original Elzetta models. I really wanted to love the AVS model because the concept is genius but just couldn't. Sold it and went back the standard M60 modules, but upgraded the module to a Malkoff M61N.

However, I agree with the previous posts here. I don't think they are out of the game. I feel they are more geared to LEO/security/Military/first responders that want a robust keep it simple light.

Last edited: