Beam Distance

Fad1200

Newly Enlightened
So I recently got into Led flashlights and have been mostly looking at lumens. However, After doing some research, I realized beam distance is important too. So, what would a good beam distance be for an everyday flashlight. I see streamlight labels their flashlights with a beam distance, but alot of others dont. I am looking at the streamlight 2aaa protac, which has a beam distance of 78 meters. Do you have a minimum beam distance? If so, what is a good beam distance?

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
What are you going to be using the light for? Most lights using larger cells than AAA and AA are multi-mode, and the beam distance will depend on which mode is in use. As an example, one of my favorite lights, the Nitecore P30, has a max stated range of approx 700 meters, while when used on its lowest mode it only is good for about 30ft.

If you find yourself with two wildly different ranges desired, you might want to consider two lights - one for closer work, and one for further away.

Also, the specification used for calculating beam distance is really rather lame, and many of us around here divide any stated distance by three (thus converting yards or meters into feet) to get a more practical idea of a useful beam distance.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
You must also understand that beam distance is not the distance you will be able to see out to.manufactures might say there light can reach 220 meters but you will be lucky to get half that in actual use. Its just the way they determine throw.

Charlie Hustle

Newly Enlightened
[FONT=&quot]There is no correct answer to your question. What you should be focusing on is beam geometry for the given application, or task. Some lights do better at certain distances than others.[/FONT]

Mark Anthony

Newly Enlightened
in photography the best camera in the world is the one you have with you when you need it. Much the same with EDC lights.

For me that means small form factor (AAA or 10440) that will fit in my pocket, which usually have a more floody beam with not much reach but lights up a small room or workspace nicely.

Longer throw lights generally have a wider head which don't fit in my pocket well.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Throw is related to the output of the light, as well as the tightness of the beam it projects. A tight, concentrated beam, will throw further than a wider beam even if the wide beam is brighter.

Flashlight specs will list the throw as either candella or distance. They're related. Candella is just the square of the (distance divided by 2), where distance is in meters. BTW, candella is just the lux at a distance of 1 meter, if that makes more sense (though it probably doesn't). I'm simplifying things a bit, as lux can get more complicated with lights of highly focused beams.

Anyway, I tend to think of throwy lights where the candella/output is more than 20. And floody lights where the candella/output is less than 5. I think that gives a more useful indicator of what the beam of the flashlight will look like, than just the throw spec (candella or distance) alone.

For EDC, you probably want a moderately floody light. Something around candella/output = 5 or 10. Most lights with small lenses fall into that range. They're the small lights you probably want to carry for EDC.

When you get up to candella/output more than 20, the lenses have to be a bit too large for EDC. And, the beam becomes annoyingly narrow for use indoors.

Less than 5, and you're likely dealing with a light that has a frosted lens, or perhaps just a bare LED with no reflector. They're great for close-up work, but not very useful outdoors except maybe as a headlamp when you carry a separate throwy light.

IMO, the sweet spot for all-'round use is in the 5-10 range.

louieatienza

Newly Enlightened
Perhaps you could consider a zoomable or focusable flashlight, that would alliw both flood and throw. I have a couple inexpensive ones from Harbor Freight that are fine for EDC and if I dropped and marred them, wouldn't be too concerned....