Sunwayman D40A

Blglov

Newly Enlightened
The Sunwayman D40A is a steal right now 50% I'm almost thinking not even to ask on here if its a decent light. But is it?? sounds like a killer deal since I needed a AA light anyways. Worth the $35??

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Sunwayman D40A is a steal right now 50% I'm almost thinking not even to ask on here if its a decent light. But is it?? sounds like a killer deal since I needed a AA light anyways. Worth the $35??

I bought a cool white D40A about 5 years ago and I've been eyeing the NW version for $40 bucks. I paid $70 shipped for mine, from BJ and that was a good deal.

I use it to ceiling bounce on her balcony when we play backgammon at night.

Too big to pocket carry, although I have.

If you need a 4AA light, it was at the top of the heap back then.

Where are you seeing it at $35? Illumination has both CW/NW listed for $40. Makes me think that SWM is on the way out, as a bunch of V11Rs have been hitting the streets at $20.

Chris

Blglov

Newly Enlightened
I bought a cool white D40A about 5 years ago and I've been eyeing the NW version for $40 bucks. I paid $70 shipped for mine, from BJ and that was a good deal.

I use it to ceiling bounce on her balcony when we play backgammon at night.

Too big to pocket carry, although I have.

If you need a 4AA light, it was at the top of the heap back then.

Where are you seeing it at $35? Illumination has both CW/NW listed for $40. Makes me think that SWM is on the way out, as a bunch of V11Rs have been hitting the streets at $20.

Chris

https://www.illumn.com/sunwayman-d40a-xm-l2-980-lumens-neutral-white-4-x-aa.html

I took the advantage of the deal, shipping was $10 so it would put it at $45, but... spend $5 more and get the feee shipping which is what I did, basically a $10 credit. So I bought the light and three LG-HG2 18650s for my other lights. If you ask me that's a decent deal. $50 and some change got me the batteries and the light.

Last edited:

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast

I love mine. I have a few other 4 AA lights, but the tint on the D40A is just perfect. When I am using it frequently, I run it on rechargeable Eneloops. If I am unsure how soon I will need it again or when traveling the Energizer Lithium primary's serve me very well. At that price I am tempted to pick up an extra, but my wife is beginning to complain about the amount of space my collection is taking up....she may have a fair point(400+ lights, over 1,000 batteries, plus chargers, and because I'm OCD I have all the original boxes, spare o rings, etc...).

Blglov

Newly Enlightened
Wow that's a collection you have going alright, I save all the boxes that come wirh my lights including receipts and everything too. I Had to go for the deal.I ordered the light along with a set of Panasonic eneloops pros, I heard some people say the with the lithium's it can't be on high or turbo until you've used a little bit of the juice from the batteries. I did a little research and decided to go with the eneloop pros. We'll see how the light and battery combo is when I get the light.

klrman

Newly Enlightened
Picked up D40A a few months ago and it has a lot of nice features. Moon and beacon mode, low battery indicator, separate power and mode buttons, SS bezel and, orange peel reflector with decent throw. I got the CW version and it is a very clean white, hard not to like this light. I use enelops in it and the one thing I don't care for is the battery carrier as the eneloops fit really tight.

Blglov

Newly Enlightened
Picked up D40A a few months ago and it has a lot of nice features. Moon and beacon mode, low battery indicator, separate power and mode buttons, SS bezel and, orange peel reflector with decent throw. I got the CW version and it is a very clean white, hard not to like this light. I use enelops in it and the one thing I don't care for is the battery carrier as the eneloops fit really tight.
I ordered the CW version as well Klrman. I like the "coolness" of the actually light source. I don't Actually really like the NW versions of lights. I guess I'll have to deal with the tightness of the eneloops then. Ordered the light on Saturday, now it's tuesday night (ordered it on Sunday I'm in Australia so it's 18 hours ahead of the West coast US, actually mid day Wednesday here) I'm getting back Friday evening in the United States. Out of the 5 lights I ordered from various websites, none have them have shipped yet, a little frustrating since I was hoping to get them Friday night when I got home, which doesn't look like it's going to happen. Only package that shipped on Monday morning was the Orbtronic 26650s I ordered. Anybody else deal with the long processing of their orders on illumination supply and Thrunite websites??

klrman

Newly Enlightened
Battery carrier is not a deal breaker as I just grew my left thumb nail a little longer to make it easy to grab them and slide them out. Need to do this to my X80 as well as batteries are tight there too. As far as taking some time to process orders, it happens, especially since Black Friday and Cyber Monday just passed as most companies deal with huge sales that slow shipping sometimes.

Blglov

Newly Enlightened
Klrman that's true I guess, everything's on sale so people are taking advantage of it. All my packages have ship. Latest one to arrive should be December 1st. Not too bad, just didn't want to wait a week to get my torches :) I'm excited. Just doubled my amount of lights I have lol

klrman

Newly Enlightened
lol I know the feeling as I recently got a boat load of lights myself. The honeymoon was over when I saw my credit card bill!

Blglov

Newly Enlightened
lol I know the feeling as I recently got a boat load of lights myself. The honeymoon was over when I saw my credit card bill!
Hahah i don't have a girl so the only person that gets pissed is myself for spending so much once I have to make that credit payment. Funny part is I get to use my lights once in a while.. I don't have a need for more than a few but my fetish for torches can not be fulfilled lol :shrug:, joking on the fetish part ha

Blglov

Newly Enlightened
Battery carrier is not a deal breaker as I just grew my left thumb nail a little longer to make it easy to grab them and slide them out. Need to do this to my X80 as well as batteries are tight there too. As far as taking some time to process orders, it happens, especially since Black Friday and Cyber Monday just passed as most companies deal with huge sales that slow shipping sometimes.
made it home from Australia 3 flights and 4 security check points they only gave me a hard time with with the flight from Dallas to Phoenix. Make me take apart the tk51 and show them it was a flashlight lol. Glad I got through with all my lights. I could see how the TK75 and TK51 would be a bit cautious for the TSA

klrman

Newly Enlightened
made it home from Australia 3 flights and 4 security check points they only gave me a hard time with with the flight from Dallas to Phoenix. Make me take apart the tk51 and show them it was a flashlight lol. Glad I got through with all my lights. I could see how the TK75 and TK51 would be a bit cautious for the TSA

Can one still fly with lithium batteries inside the flashlight in the carry on bag?

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought a D40A when the neutral white version came out. IIRC, it was something like $79 back then (several years ago).

It's still a good light. Probably my best 4xAA light. It's not the brightest (I think it's around 800-900 lumens), but it has more quality than cheaper 4xAA lights. Throw is decent, due to the 40mm reflector.

The only thing I don't like about it is the UI that has modes going from high to low. I prefer low to high.

I would not pay $79 for it today. But, it's a good deal at half price. And if you want a quality 4xAA light, it's a good one to get.

Blglov

Newly Enlightened
Can one still fly with lithium batteries inside the flashlight in the carry on bag?
I don't think so Klrman, it says to take batteries out and cover terminals. Wh can't be over 100. They questioned me hard on the batteries asking all different questions about them.

Blglov

Newly Enlightened
I bought a D40A when the neutral white version came out. IIRC, it was something like $79 back then (several years ago).

It's still a good light. Probably my best 4xAA light. It's not the brightest (I think it's around 800-900 lumens), but it has more quality than cheaper 4xAA lights. Throw is decent, due to the 40mm reflector.

The only thing I don't like about it is the UI that has modes going from high to low. I prefer low to high.

I would not pay $79 for it today. But, it's a good deal at half price. And if you want a quality 4xAA light, it's a good one to get.
for $35 it's one of my new favorite lights, it isn't the brightest but for AAs not too bad I'd say.

klrman

Newly Enlightened
I don't think so Klrman, it says to take batteries out and cover terminals. Wh can't be over 100. They questioned me hard on the batteries asking all different questions about them.

I see, thanks, thought it was not that simple anymore.

Blglov

Newly Enlightened
I see, thanks, thought it was not that simple anymore.
They were looking at what I'm assuming was the driver and the circuitry on the board, not sure the details of the intenstines of the lights. But I had the hard plastic cases for the tk51 and tk75 so that probably helped look a bit better than all my lights compiled together. I thought my tk51 and 75 were goners for sure in Dallas security. Took them a few min to inspect them I guess lol, funniest part was the dude trying to put the fenix tk51 back in the case, he eventually handed it to me and said figure this out somewhere else haha.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast

In October I went from Miami to Los Angeles and back with my Emisar D4 and EagleTac D25C Ti. and nobody said anything. I had a carry-on bag and the lights were both on my person and went through the X-Ray machine. No questions asked.

In July I flew from Miami to Dallas and back with the Emisar and ET and no problems.

They had a sign with a flashlight on it, but nobody said squat.

Chris

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast

In the US, yes you may carry them inside or outside the flashlight (with terminals protected, such as in a storage case). Here's the FAA info page on this topic:
https://www.faa.gov/about/initiatives/hazmat_safety/more_info/?hazmat=7

My understanding is they may also be checked if they are inside the device they are intended to power, so you should be able to put the flashlight with batteries inside in a checked bag.

TSA regulations add additional restrictions over FAA regulations for carry-ons. Although TSA allows flashlights in general, they do not allow "tools" longer than 7 inches and have specific restrictions on other items that might be usable as a "bludgeon." Last year there were also temporary restrictions on laptops on flights from some countries to the US, so there is precedent for limiting devices they might think could be used for hiding explosives.

Basically, they may have some discretion on large flashlights. If questioned, be polite, patient, and willing to turn a device on (to a sane level...don't blind them) to help yourself through security with minimal hassle.

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/whatcanibring/all-list