Fully (externally) detailed micro light concept.

I think small custom flashlights are often underappreciated. It could be the lack of intricate details, features or run-time. While battery technology hasn't caught up with my demands, there is something I can do for the "intricate details" part. This light is built around a vintage UV LED the Nichia NSHU550 365nm which was the first commercially available UV LED on the market. It is a low power emitter considered to today's standards, but it works quite well in short distance. You can somewhat guess how small this light is based on the first picture of the ants attacking the light, but here are the dimensions. It is 0.360" dia. x 1.5" long or 9.3mm dia. / 38mm long. The body with the offset slots are just a little over 0.25" / 7mm.
Although this light is just a prototype or proof of concept, I can use other vintage LEDs sharing the TO-18 transistor casing, or use modern 5mm LEDs. Once I get around setting up my group, some of my concept lights will be available on the "made to order" bases in very low numbers. It takes people with special interest to appreciate small flashlights, even more when it is less functional and more of an art piece, but you can't argue the fact, that it's a great way to show off your love for flashlights.

Some interesting details about this lights are, that the "offset slots" are only 0.020" wide, it features a small piece of Brasilian Rosewood insert in the tail, and have 6x 0.95 x 3mm trit vials in the head. As other prototypes it was manually made.

31124744767_f849bfc5b2_b.jpg

44247587140_6f788f34d0_b.jpg

46013648632_b050f2f7b5_b.jpg

46013647462_eba8630d94_b.jpg

32192170238_e775506e49_b.jpg

44247588870_daabba76a8_b.jpg

George, As usual….I'm blown away! spectacular details in such a small package. I think you've outdone yourself! What size batteries fit in this tiny specimen? How long will the battery last?

Thank you Mike, I'm always pleased with what you have to say. This light have 5 of the smallest button cells, so let me just put it this way. If your mailbox is in the end of the driveway, you'll only making it one way using this light:) However, I'm planning to use a small cylindrical lithium battery for this one, which needs a little bit longer body. With that one, you'd have some usable run-time.

George, As usual….I'm blown away! spectacular details in such a small package. I think you've outdone yourself! What size batteries fit in this tiny specimen? How long will the battery last?

Zandar

Enlightened
Wow, another masterpiece! Same deal as before, please charge Egginator for 10 of these lights as well!

Thank you, I'm always having a hard time being able to put the size of this small lights in perspective, but in person, it always surprises people even more.
That is one stunning light George. The pictures dont show how small this little fella really is. Well done.

wosser

Newly Enlightened
One wonders if there are any super-capacitors available in the 3-6 volt range that would fit into this kind of size. With instantaneous charging from a 18650 refueller... oh the options are fascinating.

Beautiful machining work. Those ants sure are lucky. :)

Thank you wosser, I'm glad you like it:)
As far as super capacitors, I'm not sure if they are there yet, but there is a small rechargable battery that's close in size, but it's not yet available...