[Review] - Folomov 18650S Nichia 219D 18650 Usb - by Lock

lock

Newly Enlightened
Hello everyone ... today we will see the Folomov 18650S: a 18650 EDC flashlight equipped with a "very warm" Nichia 219D capable of emitting 900 lumens to the Turbo. The flashlight was supplied by Folomov specifically for the review.

folomov%20(20).jpg

folomov%20(60).jpg

folomov%20(51).jpg

Packaging and content
The "Folomov 18650S" arrives in a small pack of colored cardboard. A transparent plastic window lets you glimpse the contents of the box at the front. On the back, however, are printed all the main features of the product. The package includes:
• The "Folomov 18650S"
• Belt clip
• 2x replacement O-ring
• Wrist strap with split pin
• 18650 2600mAh battery with USB port
• USB cable
• User manual

folomov%20(1).jpg

folomov%20(2).jpg

folomov%20(3).jpg

folomov%20(4).jpg

folomov%20(5).jpg

folomov%20(6).jpg

folomov%20(9).jpg

folomov%20(10).jpg

Caratteristiche principali
• Compact and portable flashlight, perfect for everyday use, for outdoor and for sports
• Uses a Japanese LED Nichia 219D (Warm Light) with a duration of 50,000h
• Maximum 900 Lumen output
• Maximum luminous intensity 6940cd
• Maximum distance 167m
• Two modes of use: "Illumination Mode" and "Tactical Mode"
• 6 normal brightness levels + 3 special levels (Strobe, Beacon and SOS) in "Illumination Mode"
• Momentary On and Direct Turbo Access in "Tactical Mode"
• Made of aeronautical aluminum with type III anodization
• Protection against polarity inversion
• Protection against overheating
• Waterproof: IPX8
• Impact resistance: 1m
• 2600mAh 18650 battery with built-in USB port
• Dimensions: 25.4 x 25.4 x 99mm
• Weight: 50g without battery 97g with battery

folomov%20(43).jpg

User interface
The Folomov 18650S user interface has two modes of use: "Tactical Mode" and "Illumination Mode". To switch from one mode to another, simply press the power button 7 consecutive times quickly. A series of flashes (6 quick flashes) will confirm.

Tactical Mode:
In this mode the only available levels will be the Turbo and the Strobo .
Access to the Turbo: With a quick click on the power button the flashlight will immediately enter the Turbo level constantly. With a further click the light will switch off.
Momentary On on Turbo: keeping the switch pressed, the flashlight will go into Turbo mode until the button is pressed. When it is released, the light will switch off.
Strobo access: double quick click to access the special strobe level.

Illumination Mode:
In this mode the user will have at his disposal for use 6 normal levels and 3 special.
Power On/Off/Level Selection: With a quick click the flashlight will turn on to the last used level. With subsequent clicks the other levels will be cycled according to the order: UltraLow-Low-Middle-High-Turbo. Continuing to click on the switch, the cycle will re-reverse the Turbo-High-Middle-Low-UltraLow.
With the light on, press and hold the button for 0.5s to switch to OFF
Direct access to the Moonlight: with the flashlight off, press and hold the switch for 0.5s to access Moonlight mode. With a further click you will go to the last level used
Access to special levels: with the light on and off quickly press the power button twice quickly to access the Strobe. With two more quick clicks you will switch to SOS mode and with two more clicks you will switch to the Beacon. SOS and Beacon levels are not available in "Tactical Mode"
Lockout function: when light off, press the switch 3 consecutive times to lock it electronically. Repeat the procedure for unlocking.
Countdown: the Folomov 18650S is also equipped with a programmable timer for auto switch-off. When the light is on, press the switch three times consecutively to set the automatic switch off after 3 minutes. The flashlight will flash once for confirmation.
Pressing 3 more times, the timer will be increased by another 3 minutes and so on. The procedure can be repeated 10 times in total, by setting a maximum timer of 30 minutes.
Any other operation done with the switch will disable the countdown programming.

The levels of the "Iillumination Mode" are so spaced:
Turbo: 900lm declared(measured 760lm) – 5h
High: 300m declared(measured 250lm) –7h
Medium: 150lm declared(measured 120lm) – 12h
Low: 50lm declared(measured 52lm) – 30h
Ultra-Low: 10lm declared(measured 10lm) – 200h
Moonlight: 0.5lm declared(measured 0.5lm) – 700h

Strobo: 900lm declared(measured 760lm)
SOS: 900lm declared(measured 760lm)
Beacon: 50lm declared(measured 52lm)

The measured values ​​are to be considered peak, taken in the moments immediately following the switch-on. Furthermore, all measures are made with non-professional tools and may therefore also be deviating from the real values.

Below is the runtime curve on the Turbo level:

turbo.png

The body and the materials
The Folomov 18650S is a compact linear flashlight and small size (only 99mm in length) and low weight (only 50g without battery) equipped with a Nichia 219D capable of delivering to the turbo 900 lumens. The color is really very warm with an excellent color rendering.

folomov%20(12).jpg

folomov%20(21).jpg

The body is well made, good anodizing and the knurling present both on the central part of the body and on the tailcap. The flashlight can be divided into three parts: head, body and tailcap.

folomov%20(17).jpg

folomov%20(22).jpg

folomov%20(35).jpg

folomov%20(36).jpg

folomov%20(46).jpg

folomov%20(47).jpg

The lettering is well done ...

folomov%20(15).jpg

folomov%20(16).jpg

folomov%20(40).jpg

The head has deep dissipation fins that allow to disperse the heat produced by the LED at high levels.

folomov%20(28).jpg

folomov%20(34).jpg

The reflector is smooth and shallow. On the bottom we find the Nichia 219D LED with a centraled white color

folomov%20(44).jpg

folomov%20(42).jpg

folomov%20(13).jpg

The bezel is protruding and protects the lens well. The latter is ultra-transparent and with an anti-reflective coating, it also looks good and has a good thickness

folomov%20(33).jpg

folomov%20(14).jpg

The tailcap is not flat but you can still use the flashlight in tailstanding.

folomov%20(19).jpg

folomov%20(45).jpg

The taill switch is electronic, made of rubber and with a fairly short stroke. At the pressure it emits a bright click. Well done and very responsive.

folomov%20(38).jpg

folomov%20(48).jpg

There are two holes for inserting the Laynard.

folomov%20(24).jpg

folomov%20(25).jpg

The belt clip is made of steel, rigid and on the clothes offers an excellent grip. Easy to install and remove.

folomov%20(7).jpg

folomov%20(8).jpg

folomov%20(31).jpg

folomov%20(32).jpg

At the negative pole there is a thin, but rather stiff golden spring, while at the positive pole a slightly protruding button.

folomov%20(23).jpg

folomov%20(26).jpg

folomov%20(27).jpg

The threads arrive well lubricated and are precise and flowing. Tailcap side are anodized, so physical lockout is possible. On the side of the head, however, anodization is not present.

folomov%20(30).jpg

folomov%20(29).jpg

Also included is a 18650 battery with the distinction of having a built-in micro USB port.

folomov%20(49).jpg

folomov%20(11).jpg

folomov%20(37).jpg

Beam, Tint and Beamshots
The Folomov 18650S beam has the right balance between spills and spots. You have a fair shot and you can illuminate well up to 40-50 meters. The spot is wide and well focused, the spill instead not so bright but still exploitable to illuminate the floor plan very well.
The color is very warm, I think around 3000k, uniform on the whole beam. Color rendering is good.

folomov%20(39).jpg

folomov%20(41).jpg

folomov%20(50).jpg

folomov%20(52).jpg

folomov%20(53).jpg

folomov%20(54).jpg

folomov%20(55).jpg

folomov%20(57).jpg

folomov%20(58).jpg

folomov%20(59).jpg

Following the nightshots on the short / medium distance

Beamshot #1
folomovbeam%20(1).jpg

Beamshot #2
folomovbeam%20(2).jpg

Beamshot #3
folomovbeam%20(3).jpg

Beamshot #4
folomovbeam%20(4).jpg

Beamshot #5
folomovbeam%20(5).jpg

Beamshot #6
folomovbeam%20(6).jpg

Beamshot #7
folomovbeam%20(7).jpg

Beamshot #8
folomovbeam%20(8).jpg

Beamshot #9
folomovbeam%20(9).jpg

Beamshot #10
folomovbeam%20(10).jpg

Beamshot #11
folomovbeam%20(11).jpg

Beamshot #12
folomovbeam%20(12).jpg

Beamshot #13
folomovbeam%20(13).jpg

Final considerations
The Folomov 18650S proved to be a complete and interesting EDC. Among its main features there is the presence of a Nichia 219D Warm LED and an interface is simple, complete and with interesting features: we have two modes of use, one for every day and a tactic. There is direct access to the turbo and the Moonlight level and it is also possible to set a timer for the automatic switch off from 3 to 30 minutes.

The threads are anodized so you can lock the interface physically but electronic lockout is also possible.

The switch is responsive, really well done, returns excellent tactile feedback.

The materials are of quality, the appropriate thicknesses and the light weight. The length is only 99mm, so the flashlight is easily transportable even in the pocket of jeans.

The package is rich: we have a 18650 2600mAh battery with integrated USB port, belt clip, wrist strap and spare o-rings.

In short, a valid product and also economic as it is sold for just over 20 dollars

Last edited:

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
My favorite spec for this light is the mode spacing:

The levels of the "Iillumination Mode" are so spaced:

Moonlight through High are almost perfect for me.

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you noticed a "hole" or "dark spot" in the beam or a tint shift toward blue in Turbo that I've read about in other forums and reviews?

I really like the compact size and direct access to moonlight and mode spacing on this light, but have no interest in replacing the emitter to get ride of the mentioned hot spot or tint shift on turbo.

I haven't actually seen any beam shots showing the dark spot or the tint shift that's been described elsewhere.

I'm strongly tempted to go ahead and order it from Amazon for $23.21 and have it in two days, but only if the beam is tolerable as it is or with some DC fix applied.

I wouldn't expect to use Turbo very often.

lock

Newly Enlightened
Have you noticed a "hole" or "dark spot" in the beam or a tint shift toward blue in Turbo that I've read about in other forums and reviews?

I really like the compact size and direct access to moonlight and mode spacing on this light, but have no interest in replacing the emitter to get ride of the mentioned hot spot or tint shift on turbo.

I haven't actually seen any beam shots showing the dark spot or the tint shift that's been described elsewhere.

I'm strongly tempted to go ahead and order it from Amazon for $23.21 and have it in two days, but only if the beam is tolerable as it is or with some DC fix applied.

I wouldn't expect to use Turbo very often.
yes ...i also replied to a member on blf forum for this problem .. his flashlight had this flaw but mine has no problem about the beam and the tint..not there is no change in color and nn I seem to have seen holes or darker points in the beam ... I will control better but I am almost sure that the beam is clean and without artifacts .. even a friend of mine has the folomov 18650s and also his is ok

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
I ordered one yesterday and should receive it tomorrow.

I'll check it for the issues reported in other threads and on other sites and report my findings.

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bummer. Mine shows no signs of life after charging the battery until the green light came on.

I only did a very quick test of the light right after I unboxed it before charging the battery to full.

I have no idea how to test an electronic switch, or any other part of the circuitry, so will likely try to return it and swap it out for a new one.

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
It appears to be working fine, now, after leaving it sit with the battery out of the light for about 20 minutes.

I'm befuddled as to what the problem was, unless I didn't let the battery rest long enough after charging it.

I only have one other 18650 light and it charges inside the light with USB to the outside of the light.

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
My first impressions:

Pros:
Mode levels:The levels of the "Iillumination Mode" are so spaced:
Moonlight through High are almost perfect for me.

Price - Under $24 shipped in 2 days and includes the 18650 battery and charging cable.
Compact size - same length and maximum diameter as my Coast HX5, which has resided clipped in my back pocket for over a year.
Very sturdy clip, which doesn't appear likely to pop loose accidentally.
Direct access to moonlight mode.

Cons:
UI:
I'd much prefer direct access to High from off and that Turbo not be in the main rotation, but require a unique button press sequence.
I'd like direct access to low.
I'd prefer a single direction mode sequence, rather than reversing after turbo. I'd rather that it go to low after high.
The UI is why I'll likely either return the light (less likely, since I was aware of the UI before buying), sell it or give it away, since it's too different from what I prefer.

Beam Pattern:
Good, if you like a small hot spot and minimal spill.
Bad, if you prefer a larger and less intense hot spot.
If I were to keep this light, I'd likely apply DC Fix or something similar to diffuse the hot spot a bit more.

Tint is acceptable to me.
CRI seems plenty good for most uses - absolutely no problem distinguishing colors in a wire harness.

Conclusion:
Mode spacing, compact size, price and battery included are what prompted me to go ahead and buy this light, even though the UI and beam pattern are not my preferred. I'd keep it if the UI was more to my liking, but it's not, so I'll likely not keep it.

No the search begins for a light of similar size and mode spacing, but a more desirable UI.

lumen aeternum

Enlightened
> I'd prefer a single direction mode sequence, rather than reversing after turbo. I'd rather that it go to low after high.
>
No, when I overshoot & its too bright I don't want to start again.
Best would be two controls so no cycling required.