Are CR123A batteries rechargeable?

MartinC

Newly Enlightened
Hi Everyone, I have a question - are all CR123A batteries rechargeable? Just wanted to check cause I know it is dangerous to try and recharge standard batteries. I have been given a bunch of them that are new and in pretty good shape so I wanted to know if I can recharge them as that would be really cool for a robotics project I am planning with my son.

The text on the battery is:
CR123A 3.0V
A 170818

I would include a photo but it seems like you can only insert a link to a photo but I don't have a link, only a photo I took on my phone.

Any advice or pointers would be appreciated.

parametrek

Enlightened
Re: Are all CR123A batteries rechargeable?

NO! No CR123A cells are rechargeable. It is pretty dangerous too.

parametrek

Enlightened

Oh and some helpful information too :)

I'm guessing you like the CR123A because it is small and 3V is easy for electronics. Take a look at LiFePO4 li-ion cells. They have a nominal voltage of 3.2V and are perfect for powering small electronics. They also come in the 16340 size which is the same dimensions as CR123A. You will need a special charger that supports LiFePO4. A normal 4.2V li-ion charger will destroy LiFePO4 in a dozen cycles.

MartinC

Newly Enlightened

NO! No CR123A cells are rechargeable. It is pretty dangerous too.

Thanks for letting me know. Is there a way to find out if these batteries are rechargeable? I would hate to throw them into the electronics recycling if they could get a lot more mileage before they are depleted.

MartinC

Newly Enlightened

Oh and some helpful information too :)

I'm guessing you like the CR123A because it is small and 3V is easy for electronics. Take a look at LiFePO4 li-ion cells. They have a nominal voltage of 3.2V and are perfect for powering small electronics. They also come in the 16340 size which is the same dimensions as CR123A. You will need a special charger that supports LiFePO4. A normal 4.2V li-ion charger will destroy LiFePO4 in a dozen cycles.

Thanks for that. I will definitely check into the LiFePO4 li-ion cells. I am hoping to use the CR123As I have but if I can't I will check into these too.

MartinC

Newly Enlightened

Thanks for letting me know. Is there a way to find out if these batteries are rechargeable? I would hate to throw them into the electronics recycling if they could get a lot more mileage before they are depleted.

Okay I just read your comment which says "No CR123A cells are rechargeable" which, upon re-reading says that ALL CR123A batteries are NOT rechargeable, is that what you're saying?

I ask because I have seen a lot of rechargeable CR123As for sale online.

archimedes

Flashaholic
:caution:
As others above have posted, no, lithium primaries are not rechargeable ... and, in fact, this is very dangerous.

I have also slightly edited your title, to reduce confusion on this point for any casual browsers of CPF.
:caution:

nbp

Flashaholic
RCR123s, also known as 16340s, with a voltage of 4.2v ARE rechargeable.

CR123 primaries, 3v, are NOT rechargeable.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Although there are official standards for battery terminology, they are (unfortunately) not widely adhered to with regard to consumer labeling, which results in confusion and potentially serious risks.

MartinC

Newly Enlightened
Okay thanks for the help and advice archimedes, nbp and parametrek. I really appreciate it.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
RCR123s, also known as 16340s, with a voltage of 4.2v ARE rechargeable.

CR123 primaries, 3v, are NOT rechargeable.

You're kind of botching things up for the guy.

Most common usage:

RCR123 3.2v nominal LiFePO4, charges up to about 3.6v hot off the charger. Sometimes coming in at 3.0v and labeled as such.

16340 Li-Co and Li-Mn chemistries, 3.6v/3.7v nominal, hot off the charger at 4.20v.

In something like a stock SF 6P, you can use two of the RCR123s in series as a drop in replacement for two CR123As.

Using two 16340s would most probably blow the driver, being 8.4v hot off the charger.

Chris

nbp

Flashaholic
I guess I haven't personally seen that to be a common distinction between RCR123 and 16340 given the relatively limited usage and discussion of the "3v" li-ions; but it could very well be the case.

At any rate, don't charge primaries, and know the voltage of your cells before mating them to a charger or flashlight.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast

Since the cell itself is labeled CR123A, it is a lithium primary cell and is not rechargeable. Use it until whatever device you have stops working, then recycle the cell because it is depleted.

There are RCR123 and 16340 cells that are rechargeable, but they have a nominal voltage of 3.7v, with ~4.2v fresh off the charger. Like stated above, there are also 3.2v (nominal) LiFePO4 cells that are available in 16340, but you do need a special charger capable of handling the lower voltage.

Last edited:

magellan

Honorary Aussie
You're kind of botching things up for the guy.

Most common usage:

RCR123 3.2v nominal LiFePO4, charges up to about 3.6v hot off the charger. Sometimes coming in at 3.0v and labeled as such.

16340 Li-Co and Li-Mn chemistries, 3.6v/3.7v nominal, hot off the charger at 4.20v.

In something like a stock SF 6P, you can use two of the RCR123s in series as a drop in replacement for two CR123As.

Using two 16340s would most probably blow the driver, being 8.4v hot off the charger.

Chris

Chris,

I've occasionally seen mention of RCR123A's with presumably Li Co or Li Mn chemistry with an internal resistor to drop the voltage. It would be nice to know the chemistry, since Li Co and LiFePO4 are considered more tolerant of abuse, but I don't recall ever seeing that on the label. Is there any way to tell if you have one of these batteries without unwrapping it or damaging the package? Were many of these batteries made?

—magellan

Last edited:

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Chris,

I've occasionally seen mention of RCR123A's with presumably Li Co or Li Mn chemistry with an internal resistor to drop the voltage. It would be nice to know the chemistry, since Li Co and LiFePO4 are considered more tolerant of abuse, but I don't recall ever seeing that on the label. Is there any way to tell if you have one of these batteries without unwrapping it or damaging the package? Were many of these batteries made?

—magellan

Right now, except for some generic stuff HKJ gets, the only branded 3.2v cells are from Tenergy and K2 Energy, the latter being marketed by SureFire. I can't say if they're truly LiFePO4 and therefore don't have a voltage reducing circuit, or if they do.

Li-Cobalt is just the opposite--it's more volatile than manganese and iron due to its lower thermal runaway temperature. Today, this isn't all that much of an issue, since we've moved away from a true li-co based cell when the Panasonic NCR18650 2900mAh yielded the floor to the NCR-A. Now all bets are off on the mostly Chinese smaller cells and one has to be careful where and what they buy.

I've seen mention of cells with the voltage reducing circuit (diode?,) perhaps on HKJ's site, but unless it's some funky battery distributor, like Battery Space, I haven't come across them, but then I don't own any 3.2v K2 Energy type cells. I've thought about buying some just to have, but most of my lipstick lights are meant for 3.7v 16340s and the one SureFire light I have that might have needed them sits in a drawer wearing a Redilast/EDC+ triple mode 4.2v P60.

Chris

Gauss163

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Li-ion + diode cells where discussed here, where I quoted Soshine as below

Soshine said:
Soshine 3.0V batteries have diodes in them. Li-ion chemistry produces 3.6V (nominal) and those Soshines are Li-ion batteries. The diodes are not there for protection. They are there to drop the output voltage from 3.6V (nominal) to 3.0V (nominal). So inside your battery is a charged Li-ion cell that has about 4.2V (full charged state of 3.6V Li-ion). But the power is coming through an output diode (0.6V typical) to drop the voltage to 3.6V (result of regulation) so that it can be put into devices that cant handle the 4.2V.This is the reason that you must use the 3.6V setting to charge them.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Li-ion + diode cells where discussed here, where I quoted Soshine as below

Well, what's the better way to do it?

My money's on LiFePO4 minus the extra failure point.

I'm not a Soshine fan and won't be buying any of their cells/batteries unless I'm forced to.

Chris

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
there is an old saying, best machine is no machine. same can be applied to unnecessary circuits.